New to forum, new van build, swivel seat question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

623larson

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have finally started, I found my van after searching for months and I'm starting my build
I have purchased a 1997 Dodge 3500 Maxi van, it was used buy the sheriffs department in Yuma, AZ as a paddy wagon. it has only 14000 miles and is like new, except for unavoidable ageing etc. I don't think it has even been driven on wet roads, there is no dirt or mud anywhere on the undercarriage, great find, I'm very excited. I paid less than half of what I had budgeted for the van purchase. I am in the process of making a appointment at Fiberine to raise  the roof. no appointments available until September.
Anyway, I pulled out the passenger seat in hopes of finding a swivel modification for the original seat, its in perfect shape, no need to replace it. The problem is I cant find a swivel modification that fits the bolts in the floor or the seat.
Does anyone have any experience with Dodges in this area?
Any suggestions? 

Thank You

Welcome Larson to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

Welcome, and happy building, I am in the building process also.. as far as a swivel seat goes, you most likely will not find anything on the market.. .there are a few threads on here about them..

If you go Strictly by the law, they are not legal

If you think you will have a passenger now or in the future STOP HERE!!

If there is not going to be a passenger, than it will be something you will need to build

You can purchase the swivel there are serval sizes available just do a search, many of your big box stores also have them..

places that sell Boating goods may have them also.. very common thing for a boat to have swivel seats.

You will need to build the bas for the mounting of the seat to the swivel of course.. But this should be fairly simple if you have the skills..

Sorry to burst your bubble.. But that is going to be your best solution..

if an after market attachment is available and you find it.. might want to post a link here, there have been several people looking to do this.

Thank you for your reply
I don't understand. If its illegal, why do they make swivel adapters for other makes and models? I have found many for Transits and Promasters. Just not my make and model
Ill just have to modify it myself

I got my swivel for my 2017 GMC Savana Van from Shop4Seats.com and they have a 800 number for a call.
I called them to get some Info on my swivel as I have airbags in my seats, had to get the right one for the air bag wires.

I have an '02 Dodge Maxi Van 3500. It's been good to me. Fully loaded I get about 14.4 mpg at 65 mph. I threw it out of a helicopter once and it got 14.5. I weighed it a couple months ago, loaded, at the dump in Blythe and I'm just about 7100 lbs. I expected it to weigh more. It's pretty roomy in here. It would be a mansion with a high top. 

That said, from what I understand it's legal to put a swivel on the passenger seat if it's DOT approved. I wouldn't know where to get one. Like you said, they are available for the newer generation of vans.

Yes they are available for some makes and models.. But as motor vation stated for a passenger van it is not DOT approved... For a passenger van it is not legal.. Because of the intended use of the Vehicle.

Shop4seats has them for older vans but you have to use the search function to find them. At least I had too. Highdesertranger

Scott3569 said:
Yes they are available for some makes and models.. But as motor vation stated for a passenger van it is not DOT approved... For a passenger van it is not legal.. Because of the intended use of the Vehicle.

I said that swivels are legal if they're DOT approved. I didn't say they're not legal for a passenger van. They were/are in many class B vans for instance. All passenger seating in them has to be DOT approved. In fact in many B's the driver seat also swivels.  I don't know where DOT approved swivels are sold that will fit the OP's van or mine for that matter. Maybe the site HDR mentioned

The universal ones shown in post #9 are DOT approved.

They would just take some work to install.

Latest posts