New RVer Here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Was recently blessed with an older class C. Goal is to have it ready for off-grid living by the spring and start taking small trips. Then use for increasingly longer trips and see where it goes.

This is my first RV, and have no idea how to work any of the systems (even things as simple as filling/dumping the tanks). Dove into electrical first as a good place to start.

Cheers!

Welcome Username to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Besides all of the great information on this site YouTube has so many informative videos on RV’s (dumping etc) welcome to this community!

Just a thought here,   do you know of the road history of this RV ?   Has it been running OK and been on the road on some trips recently ?   If not,  before you venture too far you may want to evaluate the engine.  Valve cover gaskets can leak oil which could lead to a fire which would wipe out the usability of the RV.  Things like  that a qualified mechanic could give you an overview of after he or she inspects it.

Has the Transmission fluids and filter been changed or at all ?   Auxiliary Transmission coolers aren't that expensive and attach to the front of the engine's radiator and for an older vehicle it may provide a margin of added life. 

Granted the coach of the RV should be checked out too.  Especially the roof for roof leaks.  This should be very high on your list of things to check for in a Class C.   Then your Tires.  (for short trips to a campground near a lake etc they may still be OK for that) 

I agree the electrical service in the coach is important for safety purposes.  I would suggest looking for things that don't work and give everything a smell test.  If you have a wife, girl friend, or sister etc invite them to do the smell test with you as women tend to have a little better sense of smell than men. If you haven's smelled any burnt electrical wiring,  you should find a sample of some of it and learn what it smells like.  It isn't easy to forget once you've smelled it.

Here is a youtube video that can show you many of the perils of owning an RV.  You can learn a lot from this:

Where RV's go to die; a visit to an rv scrapyard in Kentucky

Username said:
This is my first RV, and have no idea how to work any of the systems (even things as simple as filling/dumping the tanks).

If funds allow, I suggest camping a couple of days at a nearby state park, one with electric, water and a dump station.

If this is not possible, hook up to electricity in your driveway and do some driveway camping.

Before you go, read thru any owners manuals you have, or download one off the internet.

Practice using/running everything, make a list of things that don’t work, you don’t understand or otherwise need tending to.

Fill your fresh water tank at least half full, add a cup or so of liquid bleach, take a drive to slosh it around your tank good, then run it through your sinks and shower to sanitize the system.

Dump your tanks, fill with fresh water and run it thru again.

It will take a couple of tanks of water to get the bleach out, in my experience, during which time you drink bottled water.

Our very first RV in 2001 was a 1977 Barth, and we learned everything thru trial, error and the kindness of strangers.

One of the reasons I suggest a couple of nights in a campground is that there will likely be friendly others there who are willing to offer guidance and suggestions.

It’s a learning curve, so don’t stress about not knowing everything all at once.

Have fun!

The owners manuals that come with RVs are usually of little use. All the compents put into an RV, lights, fridges, waste tank components, stove, pronane components, electrical converter panels, heating and AC are all off the shelf stuff pruchased from other companies and then placed into the RV. Each one of those came with its own manual that was typically put into a big clasp envelope along with the RV brochure from the builder.

If you do not have the original brochure from the maker the only reason to search for it is pretty much nostalgia or simply. wanting to have a packet of all original stuff. The most likely place to find ccanned copies of the old appliance manuals is in RV brand specific forums. Those forums are also the place to go for trouble shooting advice on those original appliances, wiring and structural issues that are brand specific.

Of course this is not that type of forum although there is a lot of exchage of info on repairing issues for different makes of vans that people convert into dwelling spaces. Plus some generalized knowledge on RV fridges, heaters, propane, RV water heaters, water and waste systems, etc as they are common components in RVs. But finding how to use or troubleshoot the exact appliance you have and getting the exact manual for the model...not as good as forums specific to the various brand and models of Motorhomes.

One thing to remember here is most RV components all come from the same companies RV fridges are made by either Norcold or Dometic, water heaters by either Atwood or Surburban, Generators by Onan etc.

The different brands of RV just mix and match from the different suppliers to furnish there RV's out.

maki2 said:
The owners manuals that come with RVs are usually of little use.

Actually, my experience with three different, older model RV’s has been different.

Each appliance and add-on has its own brochure, but the Owners Manual is completely different.

It goes thru all the systems, tells how to operate them, where valves are, how to winterize/dewinterize, where and what about fuses, etc.

These may not always come with used RV’s, but mine all have and there is a great deal of information in them.

Mine currently is tabbed and marked so that I can find specific things when I need to.

Any owner should be familiar with what’s in the manuals for their rigs, even if it is only downloading an online version.

IMHO, of course.   :p

I have also found the manuals are not of much use. The brochures say I have 57 gal fuel tank, Chevys come with either (4500) 57 or (3500) 33 gal but I did read somewhere there was a 45 gal tank, that is what I have. Also it didn't say where my water pump was located, I had to turn it on and listen for it.

The older the model the more the info may not be correct.

I removed the covers from the heater and ac unit to find the model numbers on both of them. RV manufactures sometimes change things in the middle of production because of shortages.

Greetings. Welcome to the forum. My DW and I started FTing in a 22yr old Class A about 3 yrs ago. I've fixed most of the systems on it by now, so I'd be happy to answer specific questions, but I think the best teacher is experience. I recommend getting with a group of like minded individuals and learn from them.

We like to boondock a lot, though that can be a little intimidating at first if you do so alone, as we did. There are brand specific Facebook and IRV2 groups that you might learn a great deal from, as well as some older RV groups, boondocking groups, FTer groups, etc. too. The answer to your questions are out there, as many people have resolved these issues before. You just need to know where to look.

Freelander said:
One thing to remember here is most RV components all come from the same companies RV fridges are made by either Norcold or Dometic . . .

There are more than Norcold and Dometic the have been put into RVs in the last 20 years:
Engle, Nova Kool, Isotherm, Vitrifrigo and possibly others I am not aware of.

Best of luck and good travels

Tons of great info on rv repair etc. and if you C is a popular one you might hit youtube vids on how to fix problems etc. from people putting them out there. You should be able to research and do the work and the systems can be understood with a bit of time :)

Our first was a truck camper. No clue on any of it. Learned real fast ALL about rv systems on board and then once ya get the basics of how it all works, eh, every rv is basically the same :)

Enjoy the journey of it all!

Welcome. The number 1 tip I can give you is to not connect the dump system at a campground and pull the black and grey water dump valves. The black tank will allow the liquids to drain away leaving a poo pyramid that can become almost impossible to get rid of after it dries. The black tank should not be dumped until it is at least 2/3 full. The grey tank is dumped after the black to help rinse out the dump hose. After dumping, at least a gallon of water should be put into the black tank.

My routine is like this:
1 - Connect stinky slinky (sewer hose) to the dump station.
2 - Pull the black tank valve when at least 2/3 full
3 - Fill the toilet bowel with water, then flush after tank has emptied - repeat 2-3 more times
4 - Close the black tank valve
5 - Pull the grey tank valve and shake the hose as it dumps to help remove any solids remaining in hose
6 - Shut grey tank valve
7 - Disconnect slinky from vehicle and rinse with non-potable water hose.
8 - Put hose away.

There are all sorts of YouTube videos on do's and don't for beginners.

You will also want to check the date codes on the tires. RV tires don't generally wear out, they age out. About 6 years on a set of tires. You will say to yourself, "hey, they got plenty of tread left, they're OK". Don't do that, tires that have been sitting dry rot and will leave you on the side of the road with a blowout and possible body damage.

Good luck on your new to you RV.

There is loads and loads of pertinent, useful information on this site - that's
why it is the absolute best rubbertramp site. But don't get too bogged down
as wandering, the journey, is a large part of the allure of this lifestyle.