New RV sewer hose leaks, change in standard?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
I have an 1989 ClassB RV. The sewer dump hose the RV came with fits perfectly and never leaks. However I needed something longer so I ordered a new hose. The new hose seems to have a slightly different fitting, and it leaks very badly.

To be clear this there are no holes or cracks in the hose, black tank, or rv sewer outlet. The gate valve is new. The leak is clearly coming from a poor connection of the new hose to this old RV.

Moreover, this old RV's sewer output only has two of the "nipples" that the hose clamps on to, no the four that appears to be standard now.

So, what do I do?

You might check to be sure there is a gasket in the new hose connection. They may have left it out when they manufactured it.

If all else fails, I would just connect the new hose to the old hose and use the old hose at your RV connection, since it doesn't leak. Might be too long then but you can always cut the new hose down. You can get a "splice" connector at Wal-Mart if you have one close by.

I believe there are two types of connections. first are you sure the gasket is in place, like bela's mom said. after that I believe there is a thetford and a universal fitting, I think there are adapters available. I would go to a rv shop and ask for their advice. highdesertranger

Take the Van to an RV place, have their service guy check to see if the connection is indeed of a different standard. Maybe get a quote on changing the van's output connector to the new standard?