Leaks, leaks everywhere

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
My RV has been sitting idle for a couple of years, as in the water system hadn't been used although most everything else has.

Hooked up to the house water and blew out a hose attachment (yes, I was using a pressure regulator). Fixed that with a new connector supply hose

Filled the tank for lower pressure and to check the pump. Two more leaks...the toilet valve and the outside shower faucet attached to the hose I just fixed (a slightly different spot).

All this after I discovered an external leak I had thought I had fixed, although that's now fixed via some redneck engineering.

I'm really beginning to hate water. I guess it's better to find this stuff now. I can only attribute on of these things to having struggling with winterizing a couple of years ago. Guess I'd best check the propane too at this rate, although that was tested a year ago.

Sorry, just had to vent! Just a bad month so far  :(

DuneElliot said:
My RV has been sitting idle for a couple of years, as in the water system hadn't been used although most everything else has.

Hooked up to the house water and blew out a hose attachment (yes, I was using a pressure regulator). Fixed that with a new connector supply hose

Filled the tank for lower pressure and to check the pump. Two more leaks...the toilet valve and the outside shower faucet attached to the hose I just fixed (a slightly different spot).

All this after I discovered an external leak I had thought I had fixed, although that's now fixed via some redneck engineering.

I'm really beginning to hate water. I guess it's better to find this stuff now. I can only attribute on of these things to having struggling with winterizing a couple of years ago. Guess I'd best check the propane too at this rate, although that was tested a year ago.

Sorry, just had to vent! Just a bad month so far  :(
That SUX! I've had to deal with TT plumbing before, and some of the places they run it are all but impossible to even get to. The easiest way to deal with the toilet is to take it completely out, by removing two nuts and the water line. Should have a water shut off back there.
 A good trailer supply should have a new valve. Mine cracked right at the tiny little elbow in the back.

Ballenxj said:
That SUX! I've had to deal with TT plumbing before, and some of the places they run it are all but impossible to even get to. The easiest way to deal with the toilet is to take it completely out, by removing two nuts and the water line. Should have a water shut off back there.
 A good trailer supply should have a new valve. Mine cracked right at the tiny little elbow in the back.

Thankfully it was the flush valve, right on the side of the toilet and in the doorway.  I already got it pulled apart and hoping the local RV dealer has one or I'll have to order it online.

Every other place that had water sitting in it I dumped RV antifreeze after doing a very bad job of using a crappy air compressor. This was one spot I didn't know about regarding water sitting in it.

DuneElliot said:
Thankfully it was the flush valve, right on the side of the toilet and in the doorway.  I already got it pulled apart and hoping the local RV dealer has one or I'll have to order it online.

Every other place that had water sitting in it I dumped RV antifreeze after doing a very bad job of using a crappy air compressor. This was one spot I didn't know about regarding water sitting in it.

The toilet will get you every time. There are just too many little fiddly places for water to hide in it. Good luck with it.
As an aside, I once thought about having a complete spare Thetford in a box for just those occasions. That way I could do the complete R&R within twenty minutes. That thought faded away though.

The best way to winterize is go south !

IF I have to stay in cold country I usually drain as much as possible and add about 8 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank , then pump it through everything till the water runs PINK !

rvpopeye said:
The best way to winterize is go south !

IF I have to stay in cold country I usually drain as much as possible and add about 8 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank , then pump it through everything till the water runs PINK !

I agree. Of course this was in between me managing a ranch and living in my camper and having to stay in place for 3 years...I thought I had it well winterized with RV antifreeze...just missed one tiny little problematic valve!

Been there done that .......you can never drain all the water from the heater tank.
I do drain most of the AF from it after though and use it to wash down the holding tanks and an occasional flush !

Thankfully, I won't have to deal with winterizing from here on out. I am done with work May 5th and got a summer full of traveling and backpacking planned before heading south for the winter in the camper. It's about damned time!!!

DE: "I am done with work May 5th and got a summer full of traveling and backpacking planned before heading south for the winter in the camper. It's about damned time!!!"

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

All leaks fixed (including the exterior one) and I now have a fully-functioning and leak-free kitchen and bathroom. Yay!!! Now I just have to check the water heater but that might be a couple of days since it looks like rain, rain and more rain for the next week or so.

Glad you're dry! And that sucks about the rain, I can take a day or two, but after that it gets on my very last nerve.

Yeah, it's a relief to have that done and ready to go. Thankfully I'm still in S&B for the Wyoming spring time...we tend to get a lot of rain through April and May, but still cooped up and not able to do much.

It always seems the hardest time when your date draws near, but you're still waiting! We are five months out and the waiting is making us a little nuts.

Glad you got it fixed, that's the sort of stuff that makes me wish I hadn't bought a travel trailer lol

Thankfully these are simple fixes at easy-to-get-at locations...no pipes broken that need replaced which is nice about the flexible pipe in modern RVs. I don't mind small things like that for the convenience of the space and the options it gives me, and it's all a learning curve. I know more now than I did a week ago!

Waiting is hard, but now it's getting closer and there is only two weeks left of a job I've been at for seven years it feels different and kinda sad. Would I change my choices? Not in a heartbeat, but it is bittersweet. Of course we just got an offer on the house and the contract is for closing on July 17th...less than a week after I get back from England. Definitely a little stressed about that and getting everything done in the two weeks I have in May between work being done and one of the planned trips. Not enough time!

I get the sad part, my wife is leaving her job of 20 years and as much as the place makes her nuts, she is a little sad and apprehensive about such a huge change. Since I'm already done I'm just chomping at the bit to get going.

I'm definitely chomping at the bit to get going; I'm not really going to miss the job (it's mind-numbing and boring) but am going to miss people and friends. Seven years is the longest I've ever lived and worked anywhere; I used to travel and work seasonally a lot more and miss it a lot.

DE wrote
I don't mind small things like that for the convenience of the space and the options it gives me, and it's all a learning curve. I know more now than I did a week ago!

Indeed, it's all trade offs, mo fancy=mo work but also mo comfort