Identify "Extra?" Pairs of Wires on the F Terminals? Costway (& other brands) Fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windnsalsa

Reaction score
I have a Costway 54-Quarts / 52 Liters 12v [no 120 AC] fridge that I found abandoned at a fleamarket that came with a compressor model “Hua Jun ZH25G", which is supposedly a Chinese knock-off of the Danfoss/SECOPs compressor. Per attached photo, the control module has double wires on both the +/- F [fan] terminals. My question is what do the extra pair of yellow & gray wires for, besides the fan? The 2 pairs of yellow & gray wires go up into the fridge compartment. The double wire pairs look factory wired. Most of the modules I've seen consist of 1 wire connected to each the +/- terminal. I want to document these particular wires before salvaging the module as a backup for any fridge that I may encounter that might need a module replacement.

Secondly, are there ways to accurately test to determine whether or not a module works completely?

The symptoms are:
1. broken door hinges; still seems to close completely
2. a couple of small plastic broke off
3. MAIN SYMPTOM is no cooling. Temperature remains the same as ambient temp equal to what is indicated when powered on. I sprayed soap water on the copper hoses & couldn't find any obvious leak. I am guessing gas is empty.

When I disconnect either or both the F+ connectors, everything function as if no connector were disconnected.
-LCD display
-internal light
-compressor

Thanks!costway.refrigerator.fridge.fleamarket (2).jpg

Note to OP:

I added "(Costway Fridge)" to the thread title to help attract those members who know about these units to this thread.

Note to OP:

I added "(Costway Fridge)" to the thread title to help attract those members who know about these units to this thread.
Thanks, good idea. But can you also add something like 'and most likely used in other brands', as this module is an off/rebrand that looks and has same electrical terminals as other brands such as Danfoss/SECOPs

Doesn't look like my old Danfoss B2.5 controller.

The 12v fridges are similar to any device with a compressor used to cool. If they had it laying on its side and didn't give it enough time standing upright, the compressor might have overheated and won't cool. It'll run and use electricity, but it won't cool.

The 12v fridges are much better about being at a 45 degree angle for a while, but laying down will empty the oil from the compressor. If you run it like that, the compressor overheats.

I'm only pointing this out due to the fact you're trying to repair it. And you should know something that might be an issue before jumping down that rabbit hole.

Others can help you with more technical advice for sure.

The 12v fridges are similar to any device with a compressor used to cool. If they had it laying on its side and didn't give it enough time standing upright, the compressor might have overheated and won't cool. It'll run and use electricity, but it won't cool.

The 12v fridges are much better about being at a 45 degree angle for a while, but laying down will empty the oil from the compressor. If you run it like that, the compressor overheats.

I'm only pointing this out due to the fact you're trying to repair it. And you should know something that might be an issue before jumping down that rabbit hole.

Others can help you with more technical advice for sure.
Thanks for the advice. 'Laying on its side' whether or not plugged into power? For example, would laying a fridge 90 degrees or upside down during troubleshooting/repair for hours unplugged have similar negative effects? I got rid of the fridge today after I salvaged the control module.

No. So there is coolant mixed with oil in the compressor. While it is used to cool the fridge, the oil is also used to cool down the compressor itself. When you lay it on its side, the oil goes into the lines.

When you stand it back upright, it takes a while for the oil to drain back into the compressor. If you run the compressor before the oil drains back, the compressor will burn out and not do it's job.

It's usually recommended that you wait 8-12 hours before plugging in compressor units. That is portable air conditioning units, fridges, etc.

So while it's definitely worth trying to fix the unit you have, I just wanted to let you know that it's a possibility that happened.

But to be fair, 12v fridges and ice chests are easier to stand together vs laying down. Usually the mistake of laying on its side is when you're transporting it and aren't thinking about the rest. Then first thing they plug it in and burn it up.

Happened to me years ago. Wife bought a really nice used fridge and surprised me. It was sitting outside the kitchen door and plugged in. I opened it up and it was warm. Ended up that they laid it down in a truck to transport it and moved it there for me to bring inside. She plugged it in right away so it would be cold when I got home. Never made it inside. It was toast lol.

My pain is your knowledge gain :)

No. So there is coolant mixed with oil in the compressor. While it is used to cool the fridge, the oil is also used to cool down the compressor itself. When you lay it on its side, the oil goes into the lines.

When you stand it back upright, it takes a while for the oil to drain back into the compressor. If you run the compressor before the oil drains back, the compressor will burn out and not do it's job.

It's usually recommended that you wait 8-12 hours before plugging in compressor units. That is portable air conditioning units, fridges, etc.

So while it's definitely worth trying to fix the unit you have, I just wanted to let you know that it's a possibility that happened.

But to be fair, 12v fridges and ice chests are easier to stand together vs laying down. Usually the mistake of laying on its side is when you're transporting it and aren't thinking about the rest. Then first thing they plug it in and burn it up.

Happened to me years ago. Wife bought a really nice used fridge and surprised me. It was sitting outside the kitchen door and plugged in. I opened it up and it was warm. Ended up that they laid it down in a truck to transport it and moved it there for me to bring inside. She plugged it in right away so it would be cold when I got home. Never made it inside. It was toast lol.

My pain is your knowledge gain :)
really appreciate this nugget. I am sure this might have been a common culprit. OTOH, it might not be as these items are being stored & transported via retail shipment chain. I assume many don't get stored upright oftentimes. How would that be explained?

Just a side note, most refrigerator and freezer owners manuals will include a warning that the user should allow the unit to sit upright for a while (usually an hour or two) after shipment, transport, or arrival at the home (or other permanent location) before plugging it in and turning it on.

Just a side note, most refrigerator and freezer owners manuals will include a warning that the user should allow the unit to sit upright for a while (usually an hour or two) after shipment, transport, or arrival at the home (or other permanent location) before plugging it in and turning it on.
hmm, I just search in manuals of 3 models [dometic cfx-28, cfx3-35, Costway 54L] and there is no warning for such.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-44-40.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-44-40.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-50-24.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-50-24.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-56-50.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-56-50.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-59-21.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-20 13-59-21.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
I have had a couple of 12v chest fridges that had the warning. Strangely enough it wasn't in the manual. It was a separate notice in the box.

To be fair though, I'm just here to offer advice and experience. Not convince you.

They are your dollars to play with.

I have had a couple of 12v chest fridges that had the warning. Strangely enough it wasn't in the manual. It was a separate notice in the box.

To be fair though, I'm just here to offer advice and experience. Not convince you.

They are your dollars to play with.
hey, I appreciate and I'll take your feedback. Just that such an important warning should be included and be very prominent in the manuals. If such fact is still relevant for latest models, than it is very irresponsible of the mfrs to exclude the warning as many of these portable fridges are very expensive [overpriced in many cases]

I think a lot of them don't really want people to think about something that can ruin their go anywhere wonder product. It comes in a rectangular box that can be stacked any way that's convenient to the warehouse and workers. And shippers, etc.

So it's not in the manuals, but there is a supplement notice that comes in the box. This way they get the liability covered.

And to be fair, most people won't look at the manual before plugging it in.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.