New Nissan NV200 Recon Camper Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that video, very Westfalia-like. I like the idea but too much money. I just got a Transit I'm building out, more my size.

It was funny watching everyone pushing it up the rock ledge. I also liked the drawer style fridge.

vtmactech said:
It was funny watching everyone pushing it up the rock ledge. I also liked the drawer style fridge.

Yeah, 'winch not included'...

And you can actually buy those drawer style fridges seperately...and save $49,000!

Not a bad looking little set up for light and fast travel...  Too tiny for my tastes for any duration.

the video does show the problem with 2wd. using speed to cross rough terrain is very hard on the vehicle. if that vehicle was driven full time like what they show in the video it would not last long and being front wheel drive is not helping the longevity. I wonder what the life expectancy of those tires are? spinning tires on rocks is no bueno for getting long life out of your tires. to say this is an expedition vehicle is a joke at best, it's dishonest at worse. highdesertranger

All true, but I think the target market is more likely to just want to drive mostly on pavement and hit the occasional dirt roads. I dont think that serious overlanders will consider this van a substitute for a 4WD camper. 

The scene where it gets bogged on the rocks is what we remember, but during the conversation, the point is made that it's designed for the person or couple who wants to have a rig that can be the family grocery-getter AND take you out on a few weekends per year to a nice out of the way place, all the while getting 23 mpg.

Of course, the 'rugged' appearance is what sells.

I love my NV200 and it's plenty big enough for me. I wouldn't get one for off-roading though! In other rigs with a 7 inch ground clearance you can go over higher objects by knowing where the low spots are on your vehicle and avoiding them, but this thing has a low hanging bar across the entire rear end. It's 7 inches across the whole width. Also, FWD doesn't go well with a loaded down rear end and going uphill.

I really do like the way they did the pop top and the rear seat/bed is great if you don't need much storage.

Reducto said:
I really do like the way they did the pop top and the rear seat/bed is great if you don't need much storage.

Yep the pop-top is a nice feature.

And the older classic VW Westfalias in restored condition, can easily sell for more than this van.... and something this has that the classic old VW campervans don't:  

A new vehicle warranty!

I think if this guy can do something similar with the full-size Nissan NV, for a reasonable price, he would have some people lined up to buy them.

Does anyone know if the Recon seat/bed can be purchased solo for installation into a van other than the NV200 or Chevy Express? Or maybe another option like it?

I'm thinking about buying the Transit w/medium or high roof so I can stealthily park & stand up to cook or work out (Zumba!), and have solar panels affixed to the roof (and if there's room, build a little deck for stargazing). I don't need the extra bed in the Recon pop-up area.

Recon seat/bed is pricey but it sure is cool! I like the idea that you can adjust it to face out the back door, and that it is (supposedly) a comfortable bed, too. Google-ing isn't bringing up anything that can be used as a seat in both forward and backward directions. 

Recon does list the seat separately on their menu (at $6,000!--it includes wheel well sound insulation and industrial flooring, which I wouldn't need because I would do that myself).

There's no way to contact them; you can only subscribe to get updates because they are booked with orders till 2019. 

Anyone know the answer to my question at the beginning (can the Recon seat be used in a Transit), or of a comfortable seat/bed/reversible seat option that would work in lieu of Recon's?

Hey, also, can anyone tell me more about charging the house batteries using the van motor's alternator? I'm studying up for the big move!

Thanks all...

The Recon seat is very common in Europe. I believe they are commonly refered to as "rock and roll" beds. The Recon seats themselves look very similar to what Scopema in France builds. Unfortunately, very few companies import them to our shores and when they do, they add a huge premium to them. (The same applies to the poptop roofs that are common in Europe.)

I looked into this some time ago as I was thinking of building something similar after being inspired by this YouTube video

The builder also has an excellent website where he goes through the build of his UK NV200 - https://doyourdream.co.uk He has a lot of great ideas and advice and fits a surprising amount into such a small space.

If you are planning using the NV200, keep in mind the NV200 in the UK and Europe is a little smaller than the one available in North America, so the dimensions are not quite the same. But basically the same concept.

Best,
Robert

Australia ships adjustable rock n roll beds stateside at reasonable pricing.

Not rocket science to DIY with futon hinges and ply.

I prefer Murphy myself.

Latest posts