New memory foam mattress, one word: awesome!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to many sleep surfaces memory foam is one of the best and affordable. Here is a report from Sleep like the Dead comparing memory foam and latex. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/memory-foam-v-latex.html

Near the end of this article it says that with those that have tried both they prefer latex. I am in this group and prefer latex. it seems to not have the temperature issues like memory foam has.

I have memory foam in my van now and sleep well on it but if I can ever get the extra money I will upgrade to latex.
A SEEKER

I've never tried the latex mattress but memory foam is way too hot for me. I tried several brands because I like the feel of foam but always overheated. My pillow top is perfect for me. And I got it free! I house-sat for a lady for a few days and she gave me a brand new one. I've taken naps in hammocks and they are fine for that. But I roll around too much at night to stay in one for long.
No wrong answer here, everyone has their preference. Just like food.:)

The secret to the heat issue with memory foam is to have at least 1 inch of breathable material above the memory foam and directly under your body.

This allows the air to circulate and you still get the benefit of the memory foam. Most quality toppers have this setup in the box.