New memory foam mattress, one word: awesome!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Just received my new twin mattress from "thefoamfactory.com". I chose the composite mattress that is 5" of LUX-HQ and 4" of 5 pound memory foam. I unpacked the mattress and let it "air up" for several hours before trying it out. It seems to be every bit as good as a high priced memory foam bed, but for about 1/3 the price.

I bought the heavy duty mattress cover with zipper from the foam factory, and then a high end mattress cover on top of that. Fitted sheets fit like a glove (that's why I kept the standard size bed rather than making in narrower).

Looking forward to completing the Dodge High Top conversion in the next 30 days or so.

I have been trying to talk DH into a new memory foam mattress. I finally got him to agree to a 2 inch topper on our current one. It is such an improvement that I have been obsessed with getting an actual mattress made out of the stuff ever since.

66788 said:
Just received my new twin mattress from "thefoamfactory.com". I chose the composite mattress that is 5" of LUX-HQ and 4" of 5 pound memory foam. I unpacked the mattress and let it "air up" for several hours before trying it out. It seems to be every bit as good as a high priced memory foam bed, but for about 1/3 the price.

I bought the heavy duty mattress cover with zipper from the foam factory, and then a high end mattress cover on top of that. Fitted sheets fit like a glove (that's why I kept the standard size bed rather than making in narrower).

Looking forward to completing the Dodge High Top conversion in the next 30 days or so.

What's LUX-HQ? Is that the supportive foam?

A real memory foam mattress is da bomb. Best stuff ever. My iComfort memory foam mattress was on sale for around $700 for a twin size and it's so comfortable. I originally had one of those mattresses that had to be aired out for 24 hours to fully expand, but I didn't find that as comfy as the iComfort mattress which doesn't require any airing out or expansion. Just my own experience. Heck, even my pillows are $100 each by Temperpedic memory foam. Well worth it as the pillows don't sag.

Luisafernandes said:
What's LUX-HQ? Is that the supportive foam?

Yes, it's the supportive foam. LUX-HQ is very firm and an excellent base for the 4" of firm memory foam.

66788 said:
Yes, it's the supportive foam. LUX-HQ is very firm and an excellent base for the 4" of firm memory foam.

Thanks! I have a 4", two support and two top with another 3" of tempurpedic topper. Very comfortable but I would trade 2" of support for 4".

The most comfortable thing I ever slept on was an air mattress. I don't mean that Sleep Number monstrosity that we had in the house that destroyed the nice even support with a beastly thick mattress cover that still created painful pressure points. I mean a 15 inch guest/camping model with nothing on it but a sheet and a mushy sleeping bag bottom that spread my weight evenly, with no pressure points. I slept like a log all night on that. Even with our current topper, I still have issues. If we ever get another camper, it will either have a full king sized bed that allows for two twin mattresses (mine will be an air mattress) or twin beds that allow me to have an air mattress.

jeanontheroad said:
The most comfortable thing I ever slept on was an air mattress. I don't mean that Sleep Number monstrosity that we had in the house that destroyed the nice even support with a beastly thick mattress cover that still created painful pressure points. I mean a 15 inch guest/camping model with nothing on it but a sheet and a mushy sleeping bag bottom that spread my weight evenly, with no pressure points. I slept like a log all night on that. Even with our current topper, I still have issues. If we ever get another camper, it will either have a full king sized bed that allows for two twin mattresses (mine will be an air mattress) or twin beds that allow me to have an air mattress.

The Sleep Number mattress...ah, a few year back I bought one thinking it would be the greatest thing since slice bread.
It was the most wonderful mattress I ever had...for about a month. After that I developed hip pain, shoulder pain, pain just about anywhere. By then was too late to return it for a refund : (

Same for me, but DH loved it. I often ended up on the couch. Hip pain for me. Just couldn't stand the thing. I figured it must have been the "plush" mattress cover, which took away all the advantages of that lovely even support.

I used to travel for business and the hotel they would put us in every trip was one with sleep number beds. I detest them. To get it firm enough I had to air it up until it felt like I was sleeping on a slightly convex board. I would slide down to the edges in the night. I detest them.

I've been on a Tempurpedic for over 10 years, and I love it. Best mattress ever in my opinion.

A hammock is the best mattress I never had. I've been sleeping for the past five months in a ENO Doublenest hammock and it is better than any mattress I've slept on in the past two decades. Granted, never had a memory foam mattress, and the one night I did sleep on one as a guest, it was comparable to the hammock in comfort, i.e. miles better than any regular mattress. Hammock, however was $70... Hammock pros: inexpensive, excellent sleeping characteristics, no pain in the AM, fits in my van. Cons: single person only--unsure how it would do with two, takes up more space in different ways, no bottom insulation for cold nights.

LeeRevell said:
I have seen a two-person hammock.

That's what I got, and I'm still wondering how well two would do trying to actually sleep in it. But I'm certainly game to try if the opportunity ever arises...:D

I also like an inflatable bed, very comfy. But they always lose pressure it seems. I do use a single or twin air mattress when camping, depending on whether motorcycle or van camping. I sleep very well on it.
For my van conversion I am intending on using foam. So I read the threads here for good info.

You can sleep in a hammock in very low temperatures. Just get yourself an underquilt!

Eno, the makers of your Doublenest, make them, as do a lot of other small gear makers.

I am glad the OP mentioned Foam Factory. I have gotten foam for camper beds and cushions (for the Aliner and Casita) from them. Their quality is great and the prices are so much better than I found anywhere else.

Lovemy dogs said:
I love the toppers, haven't gone beyond them.

The toppers can be great or not. A lot depends on the underlying integrity of the mattress that they are put on. If you have a good mattress that is flat and supportive, they are great. On a mattress that has body impressions, they are not so good.

One advantage to buying the integrated twin foam mattress is that the factory glues the two different foams together and they don't shift apart.

I am really pleased with the quality of The Foam Factory's products.

Memory foam is great! But what I did was use a 2" luxury high density foam topped by 1" of memory foam. When I ordered it I had reservations about it not being thick enough but I've been using it for a few months now and I find it perfect. It's comfortable and has all of the padding I need from a mattress while not being too high when I sit on it (in my convertible bed I use it as seat cushions too). It is my perfect choice. I'm 190 lbs, someone who is heavier might need more...

anm said:
Memory foam is great! But what I did was use a 2" luxury high density foam topped by 1" of memory foam. When I ordered it I had reservations about it not being thick enough but I've been using it for a few months now and I find it perfect. It's comfortable and has all of the padding I need from a mattress while not being too high when I sit on it (in my convertible bed I use it as seat cushions too). It is my perfect choice. I'm 190 lbs, someone who is heavier might need more...

P.S. I got mine from Foam N' More they had good prices and fast delivery.