Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderinminstrel

Reaction score
Hi,  We are Roy and Ella, we are in the process of finishing our van build in our 2010 GMC Cargo Van.  We sold our house and are living in an apt. now.  We are borrowing an old friend's garage and electricity, (and some of her tools too) to work on it.  So far we have the insulation and walls and ceiling up.  A maxx air fan installed.  We will be building a ammp bpx battery pack soon and are looking into regenergy solar into package.  We have no woodworking or electrical skills but we are forging ahead thanks to Youtube tutorials.  Thanks, world for posting those.
We are in our mid 60s and want to live full time in the van.  Hopefully bi Dec. 30 we will.
Ella

Hello Roy and Ella, welcome to the forums. That's fantastic to hear, that despite having no woodworking skills, you've done quite a bit already to build out your van. What have you done about the floor?

I think when I get my van, I'll hire someone to install solar and a fan or air conditioning unit. I'll work on the floor myself. I'm not going to completely build out the van before moving into it. As I see it now, it will start simple and be added onto as needs arise.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Roy and Ella! I've seen many beautiful traveling homes created by people with little or no experience. I'm sure you'll build a comfortable and beautiful home too! Photos, when you finish it, please! :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

HI Roy and Ella
Sounds like you are foraging ahead in great form. I know you will build what suits you and you love and hit the road in fine fashion. best of luck to you!

Hi,

I'm not even sure how to use this forum.  This is the first one I've joined.  Thanks for all the welcoming messages.  We didn't put a wood floor in.  We replaced the carpet padding and left the rubber mat in and then covered that with indoor carpet.  Stuff really sticks to this carpet so in the future we may put vinyl down with throw rugs or different carpet down.  
We insulated the walls and cieling with that foam core stuff, don't get the green stuff, the glue disolves it, and screwed whitish wall paneling up.  Because we didn't put in a wood floor the paneling didn't come up far enough so we put some trim by the ceiling we cut from some other white paneling.  That was hard work screwing into the metal of the van.  
We built two beds and I am making curtains now.  We paid someone to install a Maxx air fan but we are going to buy a Synergy solar kit online and do that ourselves.  We are also building a battery box from excellent directions on You Tube.  JDS Outdoors How to build a portable power box version two.  We want to build a more powerful one too but this is our practice.  
Ella :)

In North Carolina summer camping is usually just too hot.  I broke out the tent and took it up to the foothills of Yadkinville in early September thinking it would be cooler.  I love to sleep in and just listen to the world awakening slowly, but by 8 am the sun was beating on just one side of the tent and was relentless in its incessant climbing temperature inside the tent.  Every morning I would emerge to happily breathe in some cooler air in the shade of the trees.  Tent camping is a lot of fun too.  Don't think you just must have a travel trailer.  Grab what you have and head out.  I am truly happy though that Fall has arrived at last.

Hello , Ella an Roy
These people know the lady’s come first. Sounds like your well on your way on the build. Post some pics . Good luck on the rest of the build I hope it goes smooth . Hope to cya at RTR

Latest posts