Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambler

Reaction score
interested in minimalism and living in class b motorhome. I would like to travel to Alaska and see the western states. I am hoping to travel some in the next year. Saw the documentary and started looking into possibilities.  More aware that there are people living in vehicles all over town.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Gambler! Glad you decided to join us! You'll be noticing more and more vehicle dwellers as you get experienced at spotting them. We're everywhere! :-D

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums Gambler.
You'll find lots of answers here.

Hi and Welcome!!

Yes, I, too, became more aware of people living in their vehicles after I started reading about it. They are everywhere and I never knew it. Goes to show, most people are oblivious. Which can be great. :)

Started to get rid of some things . I have no idea why I own some of this stuff. Goodwill here I come.

Getting rid of nearly everything you own, can be difficult, but when it's done, you'll feel much less encumbered. I am also interested in Class B living, as this Class A is too large for easy traveling, especially as I want to disperse camp as much as possible. But, it was free, so I'm enjoying the comforts while working my first Camp Host job.

Welcome, and keep us posted on your progress!

Offer a hand to folks that are repairing things is a good way to learn about how systems on RV work.

Tried today to eat for five dollars. Did not think I could. Went to Food Lion. Bread .97 loaf ,cold cut turkey .99 , and a 2 liter diet .89. 2.90 with tax. Could not recommend for long term but a starting point. 2.10 left bread and drink left. Just thinking going forward I would buy peanut butter and fruit to have on Friday. Dollar Tree is in walking distance and see what else I can find.

Hi, Gambler,
Dollar Tree is a double edged store. LOL.

You can get good deals on canned veggies, many canned meats (tuna, chicken, vienna sausages, etc.) and snacks like chips and cookies.

The bad news is that most of that is not actually healthy for you longterm (as you said). A LOT of sodium in most things when you look. BUT, you can find things like fruit cups, applesauce, the veggies, cereal and peanut butter. The sizes are smaller usually than same brands in grocery stores so you'll want to compare to know which things are a good deal.

The other problem I have with Dollar Tree (and I shop it often) is that it is easy to pile up a lot of "it's only a dollar" until you suddenly have 25 of them. LOL

Keep us posted. Sounds like you are spending the time to learn all you can before making the leap.

I have looked at different types of RV. The BT Cruiser is interesting. I like having the extra space but not more than 24 feet I see that type vehicle within my budget some for 5000 or so. I am not good mechanically. Looking into solar power as well.