new job...new home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djpandemic

Reaction score
....so the day before I was to leave to go Charleston to visit family and surf for a month I got a new job with an executive search firm. I will be able to work from anywhere there is cell service (phone and wi-fi for my computer) as long as I produce results (after a few months of learning). Salary is only 200 dollars a week but I get a percentage of the first years salary of any candidates that I place. There is a lot of cold calling, research, networking and sitting in front of the computer but so far I like it. It changes all of my plans, however, and I need to change my winter van-living situation...<div>I have inherited a small shack from the rafting company which I will turn into a a mini-home over the next couple of months. I will be blogging about it but here are the basics...</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;It is an 8'x16' shell with a high peaked shed roof. I will need to do some work to the exterior but as a shell it is pretty solid. I am going to replace the door (door opening) with a sliding glass door to give it a more spacious feel. I would like to have a loft bed but I am not sure there is enough room. If not, I may build a murphy/platform bed. I will install a corner kitchen built like the one in my vandaminium with a 2 or 3 burner RV stove and use my Edgestar fridge. I am going to go for a very clean, modern aesthetic which I think lends itself to smaller spaces ... kind of like the photo below....</div>

Congratulations! <br><br>Love the product reviews on your blog. I'll definitely be reading more!<br>

<P>Are you paying your own utilities? With a loft bed you only have to heat the loft on cold nights. Just insulate well around it. And under it.</P>

although electricity is available, I plan on making the space usable off-grid. Heat will be provided by my tiny Neptune A-1 wood stove as well a propane heater (Big-Buddy) which will only be used sparingly. Use of a sleeping loft and solid insulation should make the cold nights bearable and the propane heater can be pulled out in the morning. I plan on using wood heat during the day as this will be my new office as well. The Neptune A-1 was designed for boats and should heat the space nicely. Last winter I was in a 12x24 cabin (with a 16' roof and terrible insulation) and the stove worked well enough. It should be the perfect size for heating this small space. The only downside of the stove is it's tiny firebox. It will really only hold a fully damped fire for a few hours with wood and about 3.5 with coal. This is fine when I am inside working (I don't mind feeding the fire) but at night it goes out pretty quickly. The propane heater should get me going in the cold mornings until I get a fire started. I intend to light with oil lamps (mostly) and set up a small solar 12v system for some lights, a water pump and my 12v Edgestar fridge. I intend to insulate well and I will be situated facing the sun for some nice passive solar. I will have our outposts facilities (bathroom/shower/110vac/kitchen) at my disposal as well. The outpost has to be heated so there will be a spot to go for TV watching etc. The cabin will have a minimalist interior. A sleeping loft, some built in's that house clothes and double as a settee and stairs to the loft. A simple kitchen unit (maybe one like the one in the van only snazzier and able to be put in the van down the line) a couple of chairs and the wood stove. I intend to make the kitchen unit with a tabletop that lifts up to expose the sink and cooktop and be closed to use as a desk/dining area.<div><a href="https://vanlivingforum.com/file?id=1213312" target="_blank">k1_f02.jpg</a>&nbsp;</div><div><a href="https://vanlivingforum.com/file?id=1213313" target="_blank">k1_f03.jpg</a></div>

That sounds exciting! A free little home is a free little home! I am excited for you! Good luck with your new job and home!