New here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuppacoffee

Reaction score
since the times and economy is uncertain these days of Covid-19 I have decided to take early SS and it begins next month. I want to continue working, for more income but not interested in 40 hour work weeks anymore. I now have 3 days off together, to get out of town — that isn’t enough!  I need to be careful not to make mistakes, but being a lowly essential worker has become a predicament. I’m needed but I’m getting worked like a horse ! And exposed to possible Covid. I have found the YouTubes on living frugally and it’s fascinating how people are connecting as a community as well .  My 2005 Toyota 4 runner v6 4wd is looking to be my tow vehicle... maybe I need to start out with some camping out first. I can spend time alone but I don’t want to be aimless. Too much decision making & driving can take the fun out of it, I’m scouring these forums for ideas to begin  a new way. I’d rather pay money on living life than paying rent. Even if it’s part time on a piece of land to buy for what I pay rent on.  Then travel/ camp to meet new people. Especially the ones that think outside the box ?

Hello Cuppacoffee, and welcome to the forum, :). You seem to have some good ideas on how to proceed. Since you will have some time off during work, you can start with local camping trips. The more camping experience you have, the better you will be able to figure how to live on the road, and how much "stuff" (ie, how little) you really need for this. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A 4x4 is rea[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ll[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]y good to have.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

From what I can find, the length in the 4runner with the rear seats down is 66", which is a little short for a bed. However, you can still sleep in there if you sleep on your side, and or maybe get a little more length by pushing the passenger seat all the way forwards and erecting a low platform.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/174440-what-5th-generation-cargo-dimensions.html

A good way to go is to buy a 4-6 person dome tent, which will allow you to almost stand up, and will be big enough to put a folding chair and table inside. Much more comfortable than sitting inside a car during a week of rain storms. This can be a good interim solution to get things off and running. So, just take things one step at a time, learn a little, and bootstrap from there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Cuppacoffee! Buying a tent to supplement your living space is a good idea. Keep us updated on your decisions!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Qxxx said:
From what I can find, the length in the 4runner with the rear seats down is 66", which is a little short for a bed. However, you can still sleep in there if you sleep on your side, and or maybe get a little more length by pushing the passenger seat all the way forwards and erecting a low platform...

I just measured my 04 4runner, its 68" to the rear of my cargo/dog platform when enclosed with the rear board, so thats about 3 inches short of actual if one didnt have the platform. Ive slept in mine, its fine, Im 5'9. I may have angled a bit, but thats still the right 1/3 of the middle area filled with junk.

Im strongly considering removing the middle seats, which will improve storage space under the center section/sleeping platform, and get rid of the 3" of seat folded forward against the front seat backs.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :)

I agree, sometimes we need to do something for ourselves. Working yourself to a point where you could loose your own health (both physical & mental) simply isn't worth it. I'm sure you could use your skill sets in better ways within this lifestyle.

One thing I would suggest, in the later evening make yourself a list of about 10 things to do the next day. Then try to establish a starting time for each day an stay in that discipline. In time you can add items to that list but for now 10 would allow you to recoup and get a new perspective.

Below are a couple of links you may want to look at. The bottom one in particular as it is a portal of handy info for
preparing to go on the road and to use once out there. It can make the impasse of this undertaking a lot less daunting while reducing the learning curve when you start.

I agree that a few week end camp outs would be a good "shake down" to help you learn and prepare. Keep a notebook - journal and record your experiences and what you learned from them and what you should do to be better prepared the next time.

All the best !

Definitely do some weekend camping trips. Notice what YOU feel you have to have to be comfortable.

I just camped next to a guy traveling in a Honda SUV. He had a rooftop cargo rack, and a canopy that could attach to the roofrack.

Everything he had was well-thought out for his purpose and style of travel. You only get that with experience.

Don't spend a lot of money at first. You can find what you need to start at thrift stores and in your own house. Once you know how you feel about a particular item, then you can upgrade your thrift store find if you wish to a better quality unit. Or maybe you'll find that a particular item just isn't necessary for you, and you can just donate it back!

Or, you might find that instead of a 4-runner, you really need a Sienna instead. It's good to find that out while you still have a job!

I am so glad I found this website. I have been playing around with the idea of converting my Kia Rio into a camper of sorts. Probably remove the back seats and that area will form the bed foundation and providing storage space underneath. Also playing with the idea of adding an RV ac. My plan is to be able to go camping and avoid the high cost of staying somewhere indoors. AirBnb is there for a change of pace. A small car top carrier  
will round out my set up. I am not going to live in my car, it is soley for traveling as cheap as possible with my cat! I got lots of ideas. I plan to begin soon. I am getting a lot of encouragement from this website and to the amazing people who have been this way before! :thumbsup:
I am retired, single, and ready to get out again. And I am aiming for next Spring to hit the road.  :cool:

Hey Cuppa, welcome.

So your 4 runner is going to be your tow vehicle, that is great. What trailer do you plan on towing behind it? Will that be built out for you living space?