New guy seeks advice from the pros

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkey

Reaction score
Hi folks! 

I intend on attending the RTR in January, 2018. I'd like to enlist the help of any seasoned nomads. Specifically, I'd like to know what type of rig I need to attend the RTR. At the moment, I've got a small pickup,but too small to sleep in. 
And so I'm curious if anyone can recommend a decent rig to rent to attend  this event? Cargo van? Class C? Class B? 
Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Cheers! 
Malcolm :)

Welcome Malcolm to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. as far as a rig that's your choice. you can come in any rig you want, in fact you don't even need a rig. some stay in tents. there's even an old prospector that uses a tarp. it's your choice. see you there. highdesertranger

Look up you tube videos on pick up bed setups for camping. I remember the first time I was just outside of Vegas 20 yrs ago camping in a small tent. Woke up and looked around. Just a pickup truck also parked nearby. And then two heads poked up from the pickup truck bed.
I was amazed at that time since I had never imagined anyone sleeping in a pickup bed out in the open. But then, why not in the desert? The things we learn and see as we explore on our adventures.

You can get a tent that attaches right in the bed of your truck or just a regular tent. You don’t need a rig unless you want one. I hear a car with a tent that attaches to my hatchback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you need to be comfortable. People have attended RTR in everything from 40' Class A's and 5th Wheels on down to motorcycles and bicycles. We might have even had a backpacker or two.

The rental rates on vans and RVs might convince you your truck is roomy enough.

Welcome Malcolm,
Im coming from the far north east in my minivan. My buddy is coming from Florida in her car, she lives in it full time.
A pickup seems luxurious.
Have a great trip, see ya there.

I have a small pickup truck right now and have spent many a night sleeping in the passenger seat, moved back and reclined all the way.  Mine is a crew cab, and I'm thinking this might not work if you have a standard or extended cab where the seat doesn't recline fully.  If you have a long bed, add a cap and you're laughing.  Mine is a 5' bed and I'm 6'2".  I can just barely lay inside corner to corner but I'm much more comfortable in the passenger seat, leaving the back as dry storage for gear.

Malkey said:
I've got a small pickup,but too small to sleep in.

What kind of truck?

Small trucks have notches in the bedsides/bedliners where 2x4 - 2x8 can go crossways.  This allows folks to carry sheetrock and other 4'x8' stuff over the wheelwells.  Otherwise the wheelwells would be too narrow for the sheets.

Coupla boards, some plywood, a camping mat and you've got a sleeping platform.  $50 craiglist topper and you've got a great little commando rig.

Underbed containers slide right under that bad boy.  And it breaks down flat in the bed if you need to carry something big back there.

What kind of rig for you is something only you can know..

There are many who would only recommend a class C, while many would disagree, some who think van is the only way... there are pros and cons to everything.

Think of if you are a person who perhaps doesn't get put off by the thought of sleeping in a car, You might not mind something small like a Class B, but if the idea of having not much space turns you off, you may consider the class C or A for a bit more comfort.

frater secessus said:
What kind of truck?

Small trucks have notches in the bedsides/bedliners where 2x4 - 2x8 can go crossways.  This allows folks to carry sheetrock and other 4'x8' stuff over the wheelwells.  Otherwise the wheelwells would be too narrow for the sheets.

Coupla boards, some plywood, a camping mat and you've got a sleeping platform.  $50 craiglist topper and you've got a great little commando rig.

Underbed containers slide right under that bad boy.  And it breaks down flat in the bed if you need to carry something big back there.

I use those in my Ranger bed.  2x6's cut to fit the notches front and back and the tops of the wheel wells give support too.  Lots of storage underneath as well.

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Malcolm to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  as far as a rig that's your choice.  you can come in any rig you want,  in fact you don't even need a rig.  some stay in tents.  there's even an old prospector that uses a tarp.  it's your choice.  see you there.  highdesertranger

Thanks for your help and for the link. I'll check it out. Cheers! ;)

I used a pick-up (Nissan frontier) for camping for 15 years when I was doing this part-time. Had a pop up tent in the back, a little porta potty, heater, Coleman stove and ice chest that I insulated so much it looked like a ball. I would stay out for two weeks at a time in this set up. I don't really miss it, but it was totally doable.