New guy here..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Requesting permission to come aboard. 

I am seriously considering the purchase of a camper top for my Toyota Taco Access Cab. This will be for travel/camp purposes of two weeks at a time. I have looked at the ARE, and it appears to be a decent product. Any thoughts here? Also, I see that I can get it with either the standard vertical door with two T handles, or a variety where I remove the tailgate and have a two function door with larger vertical lift and a smaller glass door within for conventional entry.

What think ye?

I have an ARE that the rear opening window has a lower lip that is riveted on that after three years has cracked completely through and the rivets have loosened. Tntt site under fomies topper build for a Tacoma has a really good seal that is much better than the factory seal as it started to leak at the joints after a year. The add on interior lights are junk so get you own after you have installed the topper yourself with the better seal. I like the screened sliding windows and front sliding window that I put a 12 volt fan in. My truck is a regular cab. I wanted the tail gate because I built a raised platform that laid on top the wheel wells out of 3/4" plywood that is carpeted and use plastic under bed containers for storage. I am 5'10" and can not fit without opening the tail gate and extending the platform so the topper window door stays up with bug net thrown over the opening. My topper is wedge shaped so I can get in and out on my knees without hitting my head. Hope this helps!

@bullfrog

Do you have a picture or two to demonstrate your build and the seal/window fix?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I built a truss from 1" x 2" wood with a 3/4" plywood center that runs from the front to the back of the truck bed in the very middle of the bed the same height as the wheel wells. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the width of the bed 4' wide and attached that to the tail gate end of the truss. The plywood rests on the wheel well and truss and on the 2013 Tacoma the plastic bed it sits with no flex or wobble. At the cab end of the bed I made some legs that bolted to the bed tie-downs to support 2 panels that lift out. They rest on the truss and the remaining area of the wheel well not covered by the rear plywood. All of the wood was waterproofed and covered with cheap runner carpet. It creates a false floor that is completely flat bed side to tailgate. I used 2 of those long plastic storage boxes with wheels on one end that are used for under bed storage in a sticks and bricks. They fit perfectly between the wheel wells and truss and are about 3' long as well as easy to pull out. I put a board upright to cover the opening at the rear between the tailgate and truss that is lockable to the truss. Two Coleman air mattresses completely cover the false floor for a bed. If by myself I can use one mattress and sleep diagonally but at 5'10" with two people I leave the tail gate open and extend the false floor with the board I use to cover the opening by extending some folding legs and cover the opening with a bug net. My son is the owner of the truck now in Tucson maybe we will make it to the RTR but if not I will try to get him to post some pictures.