New and seeking rig advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bimmy138

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

For the past few years I've been thinking of getting a van and traveling around the country but never got the gumption to do it until now.  After doing lots of research, I'm still not so sure what to get.  I almost pulled the trigger on a Transit Connect but I envisioned myself, with my anxious disposition, being on edge a lot of the time in fear of getting rousted or possibly busted for whatever reason (trespassing, etc) even if I played my cards as right as possible.  Of course, altering my lifestyle in this way is partially a way to act against my fears and to just go and do something freeing and out of character.

I've considered an alternative, or intermediate step, which would be going around the country by towing a very small, lightweight camper with a Honda CR-V, renting a space in an RV park, detaching during the day and exploring whatever area I'm in and coming back to sleep.  The trailer and potential expense of paid parking spots might become a hassle over time though, but I imagine it would still cost less than rent (especially where I'm from).  I'm also not sure if many parks allow small trailers (like a Scamp 13) or if it's a good idea, or permitted, to leave one there during the day.  A third option would be converting the CR-V.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, Welcome to the group. Plenty of great people, tons of advice, and a fun, friendly place to hang out.

Well as far as picking a rig goes, that depends on what's most important to you.....like do you want a toilet and shower? Do you want to be able to stand up straight? Is gas mileage a concern? and all those types of questions will help you narrow down the best travel vehicle for you.

Worrying about being rousted and trespassing is pretty easy to work around. There are legal places to stay all over the country so you don't ever need to worry about being kicked out of where you don't belong. Lot's of free campgrounds, state parks, parking lots, truck stops, rest areas as well as sites you pay for in private campgrounds. freecampsites.net is a great place to start and I believe is run/owned my a member of this group. Easing into the lifestyle as you mentioned by renting a monthly spot isn't a bad way to go either, then you can venture out at your own pace and comfort level.

Hope you give the lifestyle a try and ask any questions you might have.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bimmy! Great advice from Every Road. I recommend researching even more than you already have. Read the articles at the top of the page under the heading. Read through the forum posts. Ask questions. Go to RV dealerships. Look through the trailers and class Bs. See what you felling comfortable in and what you like about each one or don't like. Go to some state park campgrounds. Look at everyone's setup. Your first mobile dwelling choice may not be right but you can always sell it and get something different.

Unless you have to stealth camp in the city for a long periods of time you will not have any problems finding places to stay. Any type of camping equipment is welcome in public campgrounds and it is always acceptable to unhook a trailer and use your vehicle to explore the area. Free camping on public land is easy to find in the western states.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Every type of RV has it's advantages and disadvantages. Whole articles are written about the virtues of each. If you buy used, you can resell if it doesn't suit you and get back your money. There are a number of clubs that you can join to get deep discounts at participating rv parks. Most parks also have a weekly and monthly rate. Some State parks have length restrictions. It varies but somewhere around 28 feet in length. You could get something that you could start with that is able to tow something that will give you more space if you find that you need it. As an example get a van, if you find it too small, get a trailer to tow behind the van. Many of us that have had many different rigs are still open to would something else work better for me.
Some people travel the world with just a backpack, so it is all up to how comfortable do you want to be, or how many things does it take to make you comfortable.
Welcome to the tribe.

Welcome to the  CRVL Forum :) 

You are not alone in your beginning fears with this stuff.   So many people don't have skills with carpentry, electrical wiring, etc to convert a bare Van into a livable habitat to go on the road with.   Then they don't know
where to go once they get a Van suitable to travel and live in.  Then they don't know how to go about "living"
once "free" to live.   This is what the structured world of the Industrial Revolution has given us.  

So many who come here stand in awe of those of us who are doing this or have done this in the past.  They
wonder how on earth does everyone make the transition from the 9 to 5 straight days & week ends off work a day world.   This perplexing question is called an "Impasse",  and if on one's own it can be quite forbidding.
But by being "here" at CRVL,  you will find all the advice, details and data that will prepare you to take the first steps to bridge the impasse and move on to join the rest of us who are doing it. 

I started with an old Van which had a bunk in the back,  a kitchenette, a few boxes for storage and a 5 gallon Jeep Jug for water, an ice chest, and a Dining Fly tent.   I experimented with week end camping and travel forays that at first were to the same place(s) until I felt secure and comfortable in my new "skin".  I began talking with people I'd meet in the campgrounds and would be invited to sit around the campfire and ask questions being a greenhorn and all.

In time I was shown magazines, guide books, and things explained to me to where I could feel more competent to extend my range of travel.   But those were my baby steps.  I could go out on the weekends
and prepare for the 4 day week ends for a big excursion with a different campground each night and feel secure knowing I could go back home again to my safety and security.  That was done before there was an
internet and message boards like this one.  So you can sit at home and read (like my sitting around the campfires) and have resources like my two websites below that would prep you for fitting out a beginner Van,
and the other for helping while under way on the road with most of your needs then.  Give them a close look
and see what they can do for you.

All the best to ya !

hello Bimmy and welcome. this all takes a little time adjusting to the life on the road. Always think small and safe good running vehicle basic comforts like a good nights sleep a good diet and an imagination. You will do just fine

Honda C/RV's have a split rear seat, one wider than another, so you can flip one side down and have a big enough space for a twin size air mattress to sleep on and still have storage space in the rear cargo area and rear seat, even if you leave the mattress in place all the time.  The tinted glass helps for some privacy and stealth.  

Had a 1998 C/RV for 15 years (and 220,000 miles) and would STILL have it if number one son didn't crash his car and need a replacement.  Used to travel all over and camp in it on weekends with Boy Scouts and reenactments (yah, not historically accurate . . .).  The table that doubles as the rear wheelwell cover was quite handy.  The roof rails are great for strapping on cargo: action packers, trunks, furniture, boxes, etc.  

It's tow rating is only 1,500 which is not much for campers- a motorcycle popup camper or a very light teardrop.  Thought about modifying a Harbor Freight utility trailer but decided not to bother with the added expense / hassle and sleep in the car as-is.

In your situation, I wouldn't spend much or change much at all, assuming your vehicle IS a CR/V or something big enough to comfortably sleep in.  Toss a sleeping bag in the back with a cooler, a way to cook (ever make and use a coke can stove that runs on wood alcohol from Dollar Tree?), some food and a few gallon jugs of water, and just go camping for a few days.  Try it on for size. Don't be in a hurry to get something new and different.  If you haven't spent much money or made many changes there's less tension.  Less you had to worry about and more emotional space to get used to a new way of doing things.

Welcome aboard B!

If you're considering living in a van full time I would look into the Nissan NV 2500.  I drive this van all day at work,k and it's awesome.  There is a YT post Bob made with a gentleman who converted it -- on the cheap.  Looked pretty sweet.  I would recommend the one with the the windows to so don't you feel too cramped.  

Godspeed,

Matt

I've decided to look into used class B's.  Thank you all for the input.  Glad to be a member.