Nevada Travel Trailer Requirements & SEPTIC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraMJF

Reaction score
Nevada DMV Registration, who oversees requirements to convert a regular trailer (what they call a cargo trailer) into a travel trailer to live in, requires the "bathroom" to have a septic black tank OR composting tank. 

I don't want a black tank at all but I'm unsure what a composting tank is that would be acceptable to the Nevada VIN Inspection Station. Looking for those who have actual experience with this and willing to share. Would you be able to provide specific examples?

They also said they require "permanent fixtures." I don't like the sound of that so would also like to know what is the least intrusive way I can meet that requirement?

Thank you very much,
DebraMFJ
up and coming 4Runner and WeeRoll Nomad

Without a black tank other places will restrict you too. Just because you have a black tank doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't understand the aversion to black tanks like I said you don't have to use it. What's your plan for black and grey water disposal?

Permanent fixtures means installed permanently, for example camp stoves don't cut it.

Also it has been reported that In Nevada you must have the electrical and propane signed off on by a licensed tech.

Why do you want to convert the title to an RV? It's not like you get anything extra for it.

Highdesertranger

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I want the simplest set up and don't want to be paying "professionals" in future to repair plumbing.

I heard that insurance for an RV trailer is much cheaper than a cargo trailer, and also with RV insurance you have your contents insured so everything I have put into eletrical etc is insured. I have yet to find a vehicle insurance broker in Nevada to verify that.

I have made my decision and I want simple, quality systems over commercial cheap and complicated.

Debra

It's not an RV. You don't need to insure a trailer, RV or not. Your auto policy covers it. Get renters insurance for the contents.

Did you read what I wrote,

Just because you have a black tank doesn't mean you have to use it. If you never use it why would you pay someone to repair it?

In Nevada you have to have the electrical and propane signed off on by a licensed tech. Which means you have to pay. So I really don't understand you saying you don't want to pay a professional.

Highdesertranger

"I want simple, quality systems over commercial cheap and complicated."

Then Nevada will never call it an RV. to be titled an RV it must have those system. You even said yourself "permanently Fixtures". Those are RV fixtures.

I am building my own RV and believe me there is nothing cheap about it if you don't want it to be.

Highdesertranger

DebraMJF said:
Nevada DMV Registration, who oversees requirements to convert a regular trailer (what they call a cargo trailer) into a travel trailer to live in, requires the "bathroom" to have a septic black tank OR composting tank. 

Are you planning on 'living' in this trailer at a mobile home park? Private land? A friend's backyard? 

If not, you probably don't need to worry about all that. Just put in the facilities and fixtures you want for camping, and go camping.