Needful Things (Stealing a title from Stephen King)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29855

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, no one has caught on to my guise of posting questions as a sneaky way of getting helpful hints......

So here's my new question: What gadget/item/tool do you carry that you have found invaluable that the average van dweller might not have in their toolbox?

For example, one gadget that has come in handy more than once is a Sillcock key. I know, what's a Sillcock key, right? Actually, I didn't know what it was called until I tried to find a picture of it.

Basically, it's used to turn on and off outdoor water faucets. They come in lots of shapes and sizes, but a 4-way like this one will fit just about any water faucet out there.

So your van overheats around 2am, and your desperate for water. You find a closed gas station with a water faucet. Saved, right? Wrong. Either it doesn't have a handle because they removed it, or it requires a special tool. Enter the Sillcock key.
1646678449624.png

Since I'm on a budget and drive an old van, I keep some tools and test equipment in my van that the 'average' van dweller probably wouldn't have. Fuel pressure tester, OBD 1 scanner, torque wrench, fuel line disconnect tool,etc.

I'm always carrying at least 10 gallons of water plus extra anti-freeze when I'm travelling so I would never have a need for a Sillcock tool :)

Last edited:
I have so many gadgets. lol

But 2 i always carry is my Leatherman Charge multi tool that covers just about any need.

But the most used is my teeney Swiss Army Classic SD. I use it every single day for something.

VZFa29Nm.jpg

See, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. First of all, folks might not think of a Swiss army knife as a tool, but it serves lots of purposes, and can actually eliminate duplicates in your tool box. Those of us in a van have a lot less space to carry everything we might think we need. I met a couple in a RV who had two complete sets of wrenches, as well as 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" socket sets, complete with ratchets and extensions for each set. Weight and space were not issues for them! I started riding Harley's when duct tape and safety wire were necessary tools to carry, and we didn't have a lot of space for a complete set of anything. You learned what tools you had to have for the repairs you were capable of perform on the road.

Since I'm on a budget and drive an old van, I keep some tools and test equipment in my van that the 'average' van dweller probably wouldn't have. Fuel pressure tester, OBD 1 scanner, torque wrench, fuel line disconnect tool,etc.

I'm always carrying at least 10 gallons of water plus extra anti-freeze when I'm travelling so I would never have a need for a Sillcock tool :)
An alternative (if your van is running well enough to reach one) is the free tool rental programs at some of the auto parts stores.

Apparently, no one has caught on to my guise of posting questions as a sneaky way of getting helpful hints......

So here's my new question: What gadget/item/tool do you carry that you have found invaluable that the average van dweller might not have in their toolbox?

For example, one gadget that has come in handy more than once is a Sillcock key. I know, what's a Sillcock key, right? Actually, I didn't know what it was called until I tried to find a picture of it.

Basically, it's used to turn on and off outdoor water faucets. They come in lots of shapes and sizes, but a 4-way like this one will fit just about any water faucet out there.

So your van overheats around 2am, and your desperate for water. You find a closed gas station with a water faucet. Saved, right? Wrong. Either it doesn't have a handle because they removed it, or it requires a special tool. Enter the Sillcock key.
View attachment 30953
I have one of these somewhere.

LOTS of tools, extra deep socket sets - SAE and Metric, a nut splitter, VERY HANDY with stripped, rusted on nuts (BOY it's been a LONG time! :LOL:), I have an S Key, extra strong glue, rubber hose repair tape, tire repair kit, can of tire seal and inflator (for real emergencies only), extra drive belt along w a diagram of how it's run across the pulleys, extra thermostat and housing, hose clamp kit, fuse kit, 550 cord, full complement of vehicle fluids and lubes, a creeper (NO NOT ME) - it's great to have and I set my 45 qt refer on it so I can move it around w ease and the creeper doesn't take up extra space - etc etc - Lot's more but it would start to look silly... HEY! I was a Boy Sprout OK???

Cheers!

View attachment 30953
Safety pins. I can hang pretty much anything from my Dodge Caravan ceiling with safety pins. I use safety pins to double up my pillow and use as a head prop to read in bed. I hang my delicates to dry, I installed pockets for storage using safety pins stuck in the rubber seals around the windows. (maybe not the best idea for damage control, but so far no problems.)

LOTS of tools, extra deep socket sets - SAE and Metric, a nut splitter, VERY HANDY with stripped, rusted on nuts (BOY it's been a LONG time! :LOL:), I have an S Key, extra strong glue, rubber hose repair tape, tire repair kit, can of tire seal and inflator (for real emergencies only), extra drive belt along w a diagram of how it's run across the pulleys, extra thermostat and housing, hose clamp kit, fuse kit, 550 cord, full complement of vehicle fluids and lubes, a creeper (NO NOT ME) - it's great to have and I set my 45 qt refer on it so I can move it around w ease and the creeper doesn't take up extra space - etc etc - Lot's more but it would start to look silly... HEY! I was a Boy Sprout OK???

Cheers!
In your van?????

Safety pins. I can hang pretty much anything from my Dodge Caravan ceiling with safety pins. I use safety pins to double up my pillow and use as a head prop to read in bed. I hang my delicates to dry, I installed pockets for storage using safety pins stuck in the rubber seals around the windows. (maybe not the best idea for damage control, but so far no problems.)
Had to have room to extra carry oil :)
Nope, just had to spend hours fixing all the leaks! New seals, etc. The worst was having porous engine cases. Don't let anyone tell you oil can't seep through aluminum!

A second means of transportation, started with an old Honda Civic with a manual transmission towed behind a 30 year old motorhome. Have had anything from bicycles, motorcycles and now a Suzuki Samurai. In times I didn't have a second means I traveled with friends in a caravan or developed contacts with someone in the area that I had helped and would help me if I needed it. Paying it forward usually works but not always. This forum along with HOWA has some great people willing to help if you truly need help and are willing to help others if you are able.

One of my favorites is this credit card, in a emergency it has different wrench sizes, gauge holes, protractor, bottle and can opener, and ruler. Fantastic little tool!!!!
Nice. Out on the road or in the boonies have you ever needed the protractor?:giggle: