Need To Go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutdoorFT

Reaction score
After reading here for a while, I get inspired. You all show me that it is possible to do whatever I want, regardless of budget. The other RV forum I post on feels too rich, almost fantasy. Too many say "I only have 125k to spend, is this possible?"

I never felt like money was important and now, I just want to go. Still trying to figure out a good situation for multiple fur babies without needing a high end bus conversion.

I want simplicity. I just want to be comfortable with some luxuries, which arent unrealistic. So, I must continue my search. I still dont have a massive amount saved up, but hoping I can do something with my F350.

Again, thanks to you guys for all the wisdom and inspirations.

I have posted for years on a few RV forums and yeah, you do get that feeling. I have never been one to just buy the big expensive rig or kit. I'd rather buy cheap and build it the way I wanted it to be. I tend to get some unusual results that are not always appreciated because they say it shouldn't happen that way.

I regularly look at the new B-vans online because it's fun to look at what they're doing.  But when I'm on the road in mine, I have a certain smug satisfaction knowing that I'm just as comfortable as those guys I see driving by in their $135k new Sprinter chassis coaches, and I only have total of $10k in mine and I have ALL the amenities that I want/need and that they have.

Even in my big moho, which is extravagant by my standards (but is pretty plain by Prevost standards,) I have less tied up in my moho AND towed than a lot of folks have in their used mohos. And there isn't another motorhome on the market I'd exchange it for.

It's not what you spend or how much your van/moho/trailer cost, or how flashy and "showy" it is that's important... it's how much enjoyment you get out of the journey that's important.  Being comfortable is everything.  Being flashy is just... well... unnecessary.

I have an F250 and found my nice 27ft 5W for $11K. There are plenty of nice trailers/campers around for quite a lot less than that. You can do it.
An F350 is a good tow vehicle to have and gives you a lot of options.

How many (and what kind) of furpersons do you have?  I will be traveling with a 35-lb dog and three cats in a larger van, if lucky.

One thing that I like about the vans are the partitions behind the seats: https://www.americanvan.com/media/c...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/M/S/MSD-3_4.jpg

I would prefer metal mesh for air circulation in warmer areas:  https://www.americanvan.com/media/catalog/category/expanded.jpg

Before you buy an RV, you'd best watch this, from an attorney:  Don't Buy An RV! - Lehto's Law Ep. 45 -- or what you should know before you do. Recreation Vehicles are very different from cars when it comes to how the law protects you........... (18 minutes)

Let's see how cheap it can be done.

Walmart trike with 50cc engine, aluminum cart with 1 battery and one panel, basket lined for dog, and camp gear.....$800 BOOM

OutdoorFT said:
I still dont have a massive amount saved up, but hoping I can do something with my F350.
Are you considering a used travel trailer? You already have the F350. That would be the simple easy fix. :)

I will second a travel trailer. Places to park East of the Mississippi may be a problem, but out West, we have lots of land. Smaller is better if you like State parks. ( a large number of them have a length restriction). I also prefer a bumper pull system instead of 5th wheel, (you can put a shell on the truck bed and use it for storage or camping). I have a 22' toy hauler trailer that is plenty big for one person. Smaller is also easier to cool and heat.

I agree with Danny. 22 feet seems to be about the sweet spot give or take 2' between having enough room to stretch out, while still being easy enough to tow and fit in most places. Bumper pulls are nice too, because it allows you to leave the bed for more storage. However, if you get into the larger, longer, heavier trailers, 5th wheels are much easier to tow.

jimindenver said:
 I tend to get some unusual results that are not always appreciated because they say it shouldn't happen that way.

:D Well if they can't take a joke.................just..............well you know :D

Jewellann

I've got an 18' bumper pull, I think it would be fine for a couple and plenty of room for me. There is no dedicated bedroom, folddown dinette and couch that makes a bed.

Everything is a trade off, my half ton will pull it easily and still get decent mileage.

Good luck in your search.

Rob

Most never get it "right" the first time...so go with what's comfortable for a start. You'll get a feel for what you like or don't like once on the road. How about a  21' TT? If going smaller, you might have to find/structure an outside living room for more elbow room. Good luck!

5 cats. Which would eliminate a TC, even though would be my first choice.

I was thinking TT only because they seem to be more affordable than a 5th wheel and I can use my bed. Was also considering Class C. Not really interested in A as the money and specialized garages needed is not appealing.

Only thing on the C is the infamous leak on cabover. Also, my area on Cs are very expensive...maybe Im misjudging it? An example would be 30k for a basic 30ft 2004. The wife wouldnt go for an early 90s class c (looks too old).

I dont know.

Class Cs have a higher demand and bring a better price. On the over-the-cab leaking, not all leaked, examine carefully. Since you have the truck, I'd go TT or possibly 5th wheel depending on the deal I could get. I never liked the steps in the 5th wheel. At one time, that was the unit to have, now I see many have returned to travel trailers as we watch the snowbirds heading north.

I belong or belonged to those forums too that said we needed a minimum of $3,000 a month in order to full-time. At that time, we were living in a house, 2 adults and a teen, on $2,000 a month. Of course, we don't have to spend $100 going out to dinner to feel good about ourselves.

A lot of Class Cs don't have windows over the cab. Mine doesnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As my wife is very fond of saying "start where you are, not where you wish or hope to be". You own a great tow vehicle already, used TT's can be found very cheaply. Try not to overthink it, pick something, load up, and go. Work out the details as you get the hang of things.

Start where you are, very good advice, you got a smart wife, Queen :)

OutdoorFT said:
5 cats. Which would eliminate a TC, even though would be my first choice.

Consider a toy hauler, which can be had as either a bumper pull or fifth wheel.  The garage area can have a full size screen installed (possibly as hinged doors), and would become a perfect, safe place for the 5 cats to hang out when you are parked.  And you can put a couple of comfortable chairs there and hang out with them, screened from the bugs and covered from the rain.