Need Nomad Life for Health

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustACarSoFar

Reaction score
Hello!  I'm a single 57 yr old Female with an old sedan and some health issues. On meager disability allowance with no savings cuz...
(no way to save while paying rent and bills, yanno)

It's my dream/goal to be traveling by this winter 17/18.  I'm a MN resident and OMG with climate change it's now GA sticky weather!
Summer is worse than winter, to me.  I gotta get out West! 
Sometimes I feel like a fool for making this dream a reality but then I hear Bob's words of encouragement and I keep watching.
(I don't have family for backup, bummer!)

Ummm, don't know how to say this tactfully but.. I just watched some vids of another channel and saw how a young buxxum blonde  got all kinds of personal $ financial HELP from that community/go fund me and now has a tricked out bus to live in. Yeah, I was HOT when younger but these days I look and feel all of my age plus chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia slowed me down royally. Guess I'm asking:
'can an old very needy gal get some love?'
LOL

I need to live with fewer RULES, rules suck!  I do get a big chunk of rent help being low income/disability but OMG the rules! I want out of
apartment life so desperately. Camping in my car will be a huge challenge, but I really feel the FREEDOM is going to make up for the few nasty situations that will come along.  I've camped/hunted/fished much of my healthier life ~ so feel I can get back into it.

I will be needing OH so much help all along the way. Happy Trails, All!   :cool:

sarah

Welcome aboard !
You just found a new family that will support your decision to go>>>.

The love part ?? It can happen as long as you're open to it.
OR not! No guarantees ;) .

I will guarantee this though.
You're gonna make some great new friends doing this !!!!!!

Sara, what kind of car do you have now? Have you tried sleeping in it yet? 
I'd do that first then spend a few nights in a campground or WalMart and evaluate what works and what dosen't. 

Mike

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Sara! I think you're on the right track. I'm back in a house to help with my mom and my health issues are definitely negatively affected. I was feeling pretty good when I was out on the road. Keep reading, learning and planning.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome Sarah,
   Now is time for your homework.  Winter comes quicker every year.  Out west is good but I just got to get some altitude for heat relief.  Also sounds like you have been watching the same youtube videos.  lots of good advice around here and caring people.

And also "it's now GA sticky weather!"  If you only new girl!!!

gapper2

Welcome Sarah! You'll find lots of love and support here and even more when you're out on the road! Enjoy your journey!

OMG  'get some love'..  I meant  friendship, direction, assistance...  OH fur Odin Sake!  how embarrassing

Mike Yukon said:
Sara, what kind of car do you have now?

Well, I had a deal that~  looks like ~  it's going to fall through sadly. A [font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]2002 Ford Focus ZTW station wagon (super clean with all bells n whistles including sun roof, heated seats etc..) with a Ford mechanic as it's owner.  Looked so good too!  Guess I just need to keep saving for awhile as the junker I m in now I don't trust.[/font][/font]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Patience Patience for me.[/font][/font][/size]

JustACarSoFar said:
OMG  'get some love'..  I meant  friendship, direction, assistance...  OH fur Odin Sake!  how embarrassing

OH!  GET A GRIP! YOU'RE NOT THE FIRST ONE TO SAY SOMETHING AND LATER THINK "WHAT DID I JUST DO" :huh: I"VE DONE IT AT LEAST ONCE ;) MY OWNSELF.

Hello and Welcome! 

I've wintered in both SD and KY.  KY has too much ice for me.  So I'm in Al and hoping to travel before the end of the year.

On Bob Wells youtube chanel he has a interview "Living in a car on $800 a month" also another with a lady living on $300 while she is paying off some debt.

IF YOU HAVE A LETTER FROM SSA STATING YOU DRAW DISABILITY YOU CAN GET A FREE 'ACCESS PASS'  This gives free entrance to some federal lands that have gate fees or day use fees.  I'm unable to post links so maybe someone will post them...PLEASE.

I'm like you...stuck in a subsidized apt. and jumping thru hoops to keep it while at the same time trying to get away.  At least for some short trips to see how things go.  If I didn't have apt. rent and bills for it I'd have nearly another $500 a mo. for travel.

My "Captains Log"  Txjbird and Queenie On a Safari in a Safari is about what it's like for me where I live and how I'm trying to get more mobile.  Today I posted about the HUD Home Invasion coming up this week.  If you take a look at it you'll see you're not alone in planning a "escape".  You and I are 2 of many wanting a different way of life that includes more freedom.

I Wish You Well

Jewellann and Queenie aka Fat Possum.

Hey Txhaybird, I DID watch both those vids before I registered here, and yup, got me all exited about 'bookin on outa heya'.

s'True! I feel I'm getting sicker by the week cooped up in the small apartment, dammit man, I might end up hitch hikin like I did when
I was a whipper snapper.. oyveh!

I suggest you look for a mini van as an entry level vehicle. There are many very reasonable in price 2-$3,000 range that have a lot of life left in them. I paid $3,000 for mine 4 years ago and have put only $350 in repairs so far.

In my 2004 Ford Freestar mini van, I have a platform for a bed that’s now 32 inches wide and 78 inches long. This size still allows an aisle to store “the bucket” and other commonly needed items. Great for comfortable sleeping. Good sleep time is so often overlooked, it’s important to being happy. The platform is hinged and lifts up to access all your stored items.

You’ll get around +/-20mpg fuel consumption, can sit on the bed and still have head clearance. It’s reasonably secure and if you need to leave your camp site in a hurry, just jump in the drivers seat and leave without getting outside.

Here’s are links to my van that originally had a 48x 78 inch bed platform. As usual the first design needed modifying. I needed to narrow the bed giving me an aisle way of 14 inches for better storage space alongside the bed.

Link to inside, and another link set-up in a campground:
http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2013/12/my-new-van-conversion-to-camper-hunter.html

http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2015/06/van-camping.html

If you have any questions you prefer not to post you can email me directly [email protected]

Mike

Hey Guys,

I don't think I can save enough to get 'stress freeish' minivan by winter. I mean, some 00' - 05's are for sale and gone so fast I can't catch em!

I'm not giving up though. I emailed my sis in Cody telling her of my lil dream. She said "We definitely can put you in our truck camper on some mountain, near Laramie or Cody!" wow

That would mean, verrry Old truck with veryy old small camper on top, but who cares! heh! Yeah, I'd do it this fall, my real concern is getting out there. No trusty vehicle and I don't remember how much gas I went through when I drove years ago. Mpls MN to Cody WY.

Maybe I should attempt a one way cheap ticket? (I hate flying cuz I feel like an abused sardine and that was BEFORE new TSA rules!)

anyone heading to WY this late summer/fall?

If I can get there on my own... Any of Bob's friends/followers planning a stint in WY ??? That would be COOL!

Welcome Sara,
" You've got alot of work to do, Pilgrim " 
Will Greer in Jerimiah Johnson.
Read the forum every minute you can. 
Forum  - Life on the Road - Electrical: Batteries, Generators, Solar. - Food & Cooking..
..all good subjects in Life on the road section.
Suggestions:
Renogy 100 watt solar kit
Single burner propane stove
12 volt frig: 
http://www.equipt1.com/item/travel-box-31L-fridge-or-freezer
Buddy heater
Co2 detector.

In my deep south Jaw Juh drawl, " Darling, please, watch the you tube channels that will benefit you, not depress you. Hey !, Bob's videos are never depressing! 

Best of Luck to you. And remember, " do not lose Heart "  :heart: . 
Danny

Travelers Rest said:
" You've got alot of work to do, Pilgrim " 
Will Greer in Jerimiah Johnson.

Great quote from one of my favorite movies.  Thanks for sharing.

You're quite correct Danny'.
The "J.J. analogy is spot on far as where I am to where my goal is. I do appreciate the suggestions.

Guess my long winded last post was just to say: I'm exited I may get to 'test surviving on a mountain in a truck camper for as long as I want
with as little comforts as I allow for myself. It's gonna be fun regardless how well I do.

Years ago I know I would have excelled ~ the test is going to be because of age & some illness now, but a test I look forward to.
~my only fear is a hungry rogue grizzly...yikes!

Hiya Sara, thought I'd say hi here and welcome you proper like! We are headed thatta way(Az\west) prob first week in Oct. We're going to take our time and plan on prob first week of Nov(depending on temps) to be in Az.

Where are you at headwise and equipment wise? Maybe start a new thread(if there already is one, Linky it plz) and we'll see what might have to be done to make any transition as smooth as possible for you. Keep your chin up, there's always next spring to launch! Jumping in with both feet and no safety net might be exciting\fun for a few days, but poor planning could really wreck what otherwise might be a grand adventure. I'll be sure to check any new threads I see pop up in your User Panel. Ttys! :cool:

I am thinking about doing the patrion thing in order to get some financial support like some have done . A few of my subscribers had asked me how they could support me and recommended that site and app. Since YouTube has changed its rules once again ,It is nearly impossible to get an income from them if you're just starting out . Also you may want to become an Amazon affiliate with links posted to them which would generate an income for you also .

Living in a Sedan is gonna be more difficult to organize then me living in my hatchback SUV. I start my adventure next week and I'm very excited .I stayed with my niece in Phoenix for 5 weeks in January 2015 and I felt wonderful .I am living in South Carolina right now and my head stays stopped up with goop and the humidity is terrible .I can hardly wait to get back to Arizona for the Winter .Thank you for stopping by my post here and I am here for all.

thank you kia girl ! great advice and it's appreciated. yeah, this humidity....I'm so over it! But, I've run into a hangup or two...
so can't get going as early as hoped. I'm going to be sensible and hold off til' I'm more prepared and I have no idea when
that will be... it's tough to wait but that's gonna have to be the deal for now.

bless u, Im watchin ur blogs and it's really fun!!

I hate when I do the right thing' and it backfires on me! happens a lot!

latest deal: I've been on SSDI for maybe 4 years and moved a year ago letting 'them' know. There was no issue at the time.

After being in this apartment complex 1 year I moved to another unit within the building. So.. concerned about legalities, I called them
to let em' know the apartment # change. same addy, just apartment change.

After I made 'that clear, the guy started asking odd questions. "Do you live with anyone" "What do you pay in rent" .. and chit like that.

Month later, here I get a letter... "We are going to review your benefits claim at a later date"

WElLL BLOODY HELL.. what's that about.. OMG.. sure, now I"m like sleepless over their trying to put me through the wringer again
and will it mean I can't travel if I'm tied down to paperwork, dr.s and having to prove crap all over again?

I barely came out alive from all the stress of 10+ years and 3 Judge hearings! I won't do it again..i tell ya.. (ok, i'm pissed)