Need Laptop Internet Access On Road & Home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter lives in southern Indiana and needed unlimited internet. I found a company called PCs for the people and it is a low income internet provider. It is on the sprint network. If you make under 24,000 single or 32,000 for two you qualify. All I had to do was send a photo id and last year tax return. They had several ways for verification of earnings.  She has had it going on two years and loves it.  Can connect up to 10 devices and it is unlimited lte. Cost is 120.00 a year for service. I just ordered one a month ago and have ran it in Indiana and now in Deming NM. have had 4 devices on it at once and it didn't slow down and I only have 2 bars where I am sitting in Deming. Was running Netflix, you tube and 2 tablets and it didn't throttle down or buffer. So for 199.00 up front I have the new hotspot and 1 years service I don't have to worry about monthly payments. They also have a 3 month payment plan and sell cheap refurbished laptops and towers.
  I also have  2 flashed MIFIs (thanks Jim) and they have proven very reliable. Have figured out how to pay them 3 months at a time so I don't have to pay 5 a month. Internet is doable even on a budget and I haven't even checked on using wifi for phone calls on old phone.

I have a PC's4P hotspot too and it is wonderful when I do have Sprint coverage. Their network is expanding all the time and even in a years time I have seen new with areas with coverage that were not there before.

John, Thanks so kindly. I will actually use a lot of data, as compared to voice, and absolutely no texting. I think I average 5 voice calls a month. Most people I have known, have either passed away, or have moved without telling anyone, so I know very few people now. I basically have no family, so there's not any need there either. But I tend to do a lot of browsing, and reading. I like to learn about just about everything. That's something that was non-existent in me, until the web came along. Hopefully there is a seperate purchase plan, in addition to the normal one, that allows a few Gigs of data per month.

I will read up on what a SIM kit is. Seems this telephone thing is pretty complicated. I am guessing the SIM is some kind of ID, so the providers can track you.

One thing I have noticed is that some plans require you to purchase more than one phone, which, as an individual, I just do not need.

CaleyAnn said:
absolutely no texting. I think I average 5 voice calls a month.

a seperate purchase plan, in addition to the normal one, that allows a few Gigs of data per month.
The SIM is a little plastic-foil "chip" that you need to get from the provider and put in you phone when you sign up for service. They come in a few sizes, so get the phone first.

Google

SIM sizes

to see pics.

For such limited voice, but where people will be able to call you reliably, you can get by with say $50 up front plus average $10 a month.

Or if you really don't care about reliability, you can still do VoIP (Google that) from your data -only connection.

For data service using a tablet and/or computer, with maximum reliability, get two hotspots, say $200 to start then $40 a month.

How does that sound?