Need input on abnormal dwelling vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following is to be read with a 60's style hippie tone:

"Possessions are burdens man"

As little as I own, I wish I owned less.

I vote for the simplicity of not towing anything, If you find the Escape's internal limits tolerable.

Have you done any ventures/trial runs with just it?

Can you store the pop up for free and return for it if you decide you want to tow it?

Perhaps dipping your big toe in the water first, might be wiser than doing a cannonball.

Think about how and where you would use the popup. I've never camped in Florida so don't know about public/free camping there. But you won't be able to use it at Walmarts, rest areas, or on public streets, nor when there may be high winds (deserts out west come to mind). I can think of many circumstances when I wouldn't or couldn't use the popup.

Using the popup would mean being in a campground or on public land where camping is allowed. Any other circumstance would mean you use your tow vehicle, not just for sleeping, but cooking, bathroom and everything else. Depending on your plans, how often could you use the popup? How often would it just stay closed up and you'd have to use the vehicle anyway?

Just something to think about.

Best Wishes.

Stargazer said:
Think about how and where you would use the popup.  I've never camped in Florida so don't know about public/free camping there.  But you won't be able to use it at Walmarts, rest areas, or on public streets, nor when there may be high winds (deserts out west come to mind).  I can think of many circumstances when I wouldn't or couldn't use the popup.

Using the popup would mean being in a campground or on public land where camping is allowed.  Any other circumstance would mean you use your tow vehicle, not just for sleeping, but cooking, bathroom and everything else.  Depending on your plans, how often could you use the popup?  How often would it just stay closed up and you'd have to use the vehicle anyway?

Just something to think about.

Best Wishes.

Thank you for this insight. You have some very good points. And this is exactly what I need..... some concrete reallife possible situations. These have been some of my thoughts also. It's nice to have all that extra room, but if I am going to be limited, or controlled on where I have to stay to get that, then it is not worth the trouble. Like you say, I can probably do just about anything in the Escape that I could in the popup.

Patrick46 said:
Look for a potential roof rack and/or cargo box at the junkyard, or a used one on Craigslist. Save your bread.

btw...they usually just clamp onto your truck's rain gutters. Easy-piesy.

Yes, bread will be of a concern. You are right, I need to start getting into that mindset now. What would we do without Craigslist?

akrvbob said:
I agree 100% with this. You'll get more by waiting tell spring to sell so try it out and make a decision then.
Bob

Bob, the problem with just trying out the popup is, I can't afford to make any costly mistakes on this. And, as you well know, I have made some in the past and most recently. Even though the popup is in pretty good condition, it is still no spring chicken. Even though I have checked it out thoroughly, there are still things like the lift cable system that has things enclosed in housings that I can't really look at closely, as well as other things that look good on the outside but things are not always as they appear on the outside.  If it is used for local or even a few extended area camping trips, and something happens, goes wrong, or bad it is an inconvenience. But with me using it the way I want to and with my limited funds and income, it could be a hardship. Plus, I would really have no place to work on it and getting parts could be difficult. I know those things can be overcome, but it is still more things to worry about.

I am trying to head off as many of those hardships as possible before I get out there. Which is why I am here gathering the knowledge and wisdom of everyone on your site. And, so far it has been VERY, VERY, helpful. The pros and the cons are all helping my decision making a lot easier and adding confidence to that.
 I know there will be problems and challenges. And I may be overthinking this, but if I can head them off before hand, it will make those much less. I have no choice in this situation to have to make some sacrifices and workarounds in certain aspects of my creature comforts. But breakdowns, extra hardships, and drags on me have to be as few as possible. And it all boils down to money.....or lack of enough.
When I turn the key and pull out of that driveway I want things to go as smooth as possible from that point on.

I'm very anti- popup for many of the reasons others have given, so much in fact that last week I drove by one with a free sign on it and didn't even look to see if I could turn a buck with it.
I think I'd roll with the vehicle I owned, get rid of the popup, and see what changes I really wanted after a couple months.
There appears to be quite a bit of changes and emotion in your life- let some of it disipate and get more comfortable with your new life while you learn what you want.

JMHI

karl said:
I'm very anti- popup for many of the reasons others have given, so much in fact that last week I drove by one with a free sign on it and didn't even look to see if I could turn a buck with it.
I think I'd roll with the vehicle I owned, get rid of the popup, and see what changes I really wanted after a couple months.
There appears to be quite a bit of changes and emotion in your life- let some of it disipate and get more comfortable with your new life while you learn what you want.

JMHI

Exactly right on the changes, and emotion. Which is the main reason that I don't need any more problems and difficulties to complicate things more. I think getting rid of the popup would cut that potential down a bit. So I am keeping it listed til it sells, or I just push it over a hill somewhere.......just kidding about the hill!
Thanks Karl

SternWake said:
The following is to be read with a 60's style hippie tone:

"Possessions are burdens man"

As little as I own, I wish I owned less.

I vote for the simplicity of not towing anything, If you find the Escape's internal limits tolerable.

Have you done any ventures/trial runs with just it?

Can you store the pop up for free and return for it if you decide you want to tow it?

Perhaps dipping your big toe in the water first, might be wiser thI haan doing a cannonball.

I have been getting rid of things all along. I think that I saw this coming but didn't know exactly when it was going to come to reality, But now it is here.  Yes, i have been on a dry run with just the Escape. But it was not geared to living out of it. I was on a road trip and was using a suitcase when I stopped at a campground for the night and slept in the Escape. I wasn't bad but the way I am preparing it now is much better organized.
One thing I did notice was that I had too much stuff and it made life difficult for that trip. And I know I could have made it fine without  some of it.
I may do a little practice trip for a day or two to hone and fine tune things before I take that final dive in the water.

So you have towing capacity?  You can see if anyone would trade a small trailer for your pop up, or you could get a small utility trailer and use that for stuff (potty room for example).  Utility trailer will have to be covered though.

So you have towing capacity?  You can see if anyone would trade a small trailer for your pop up, or you could get a small utility trailer and use that for stuff (potty room for example).  Utility trailer will have to be covered though.

Seadog729 said:
I have 3,500 lbs towing capacity. But I don't want to be too close to that for various reasons. I don't really like towing anything, but will if the benefits outweigh the inconvenience of towing. I would only want to tow something around 1,500 to 2,000 lbs max. The potty room can be taken care of with a small shower tent. But of course I know I wouldn't be able to set that up everywhere.
So, far I am leaning to the Escape as my sole source of dwelling. I am putting my efforts right now to getting it ready to accommodate as much as possible of my needs and what ever comforts I can make it provide. But I am still will to change that if something else is brought to my attention. A cargo trailer would possibly work and I am still playing with that idea. It is very tempting.
I am trying to keep things as simple as possible but yet comfortable and meets all my needs.

Stevesway, I'm going to respond from an emotional perspective. It sounds to me as if you are quite understandably anxious about the future. One response is that you feel a strong need to solve this trailer/no-trailer dilemma NOW. But do you really? Can you store the trailer at a friend or relative's house for a few months and decide later? If that's possible, take to the road without the trailer and see what's comfortable for you.

I tend to get wrapped up in solving non-critical future decisions NOW. It can be hard from me to pull back and keep my mind off a problem until it *really* is a problem. I started traveling in and living out of my van in September. Despite all the planning, I was really anxious about whether to sell my house. Last summer, thinking about it was keeping me up at night. In the end, I decided not to decide but rather to wait until I had some time on the road. (Fortunately, I could lose money for a few months on mortgage payments and utilities.) ... Maybe I'd discover that I really just wanted to travel for a few weeks at a time as vacations. Maybe I'd want to have my house for winters. Maybe I'd really discover I hated road life. Maybe I'd want to use the house as a rental. Maybe I'd want to sell, either conventionally or through an owner finance. Maybe, maybe, maybe ... it was driving me crazy!

So I waited and hit the road. With four months under my belt I now KNOW that the vandwelling gypsy life is for me, at least for the foreseeable future. I KNOW that I don't need or want the house or any permanent housing in my hometown. I KNOW that I don't want the hassle of being a landlord. So I'm now getting my house ready for market without doubt or anxiety.

In my vast four months of experience, I also discovered that junk I thought would be essential wasn't and junk I thought was trivial mattered a whole lot. I've trimmed down my equipment even while adding a few things here and there. Now I think the best advice is to start basic and only add items as you find you need them regularly. I wish I'd spent a bit less time and money on junk I anticipated I *might* need.

PS: I'll add one practical suggestion: If you're sticking to Florida and the East Coast AND you'll be staying in National Forests a lot, a big, cheap tarp strung up to trees will give you and your car shade and get you out of the rain while leaving your site claimed when you pop into town. If you'll be in one spot for a few weeks, it's nice to string one up. I stayed at a hunt camp in Sumter National Forest, SC, for about three weeks, and the hunters there set those up in their campsites, strung high enough that they could have their fire pits underneath. They really made living outdoors much more comfortable, especially since it was a wet autumn.

If you're gonna use tarps in the air like that....
Insert a bungie between the tarp and the ropes.

They will take the strain off in high winds /moving trees /poles and will help with sagging in rain (puddles) and won't tear the tarp (as much) an extra plus ,it will cut down on flutter too.

Well, the decision has been made, because I sold the popup today. I lost money on it but not too much, now..,.I will have to commit to the Escape as a dwelling vehicle or fall across something that will suit my needs. Things change day by day on this.

Stevesway said:
Well, the decision has been made, because I sold the popup today. I lost money on it but not too much, now..,.I will have to commit to the Escape as a dwelling vehicle or fall across something that will suit my needs. Things change day by day on this.

Since the decision is made, I'd say dumping the trailer and going light was best decision, based on my personal experience and all the advice in this thread from the more-experienced forum members. And hey, a little cash in your pocket is always good. Good luck with all this stuff going on! From what you said, it's a time of BIG CHANGES for you, but you're smart and proactive, so I predict you'll weather it all just fine. :)

Binxie said:
Since the decision is made, I'd say dumping the trailer and going light was best decision, based on my personal experience and all the advice in this thread from the more-experienced forum members. And hey, a little cash in your pocket is always good. Good luck with all this stuff going on! From what you said, it's a time of BIG CHANGES for you, but you're smart and proactive, so I predict you'll weather it all just fine.  :)
Yeah, I think things will go pretty good. I have most of the things figured out with using the Escape, and just have to work out a few details on a couple others.  I have made the priority number one item as a comfortable place to sleep. That has been worked out pretty well and I am fairly confident of that. I won't really know how everything will work till I get out there and experience it in real life. But I have briefly slept and camped in the Escape for brief times in the past trips, and I should be able to adapt.

There are a few things I am wanting to take but can't make my mind up if I should. The small 4 person dome tent, a small Koolatron 12 volt cooler, my two 35 ah agm scooter deep cycle batteries, 45 watt solar panel. I guess I am going to prioritize based on most critical and need items for survival and only pack the luxury items if there is room without being cramped. I am going to go through and make a list of items I think I will want and need, then prune the ones that are not going to fit comfortable for dire needs.
Thanks for your confidence.

karl said:
Good! one thing off your mind.

x2 with what Binxie wrote.

Wishing you the best.

Quite right. It was a great relief to see that popup being towed out of here by the new owner. Now I am concentrating on the Escape conversion for now. And I am recounting and trying to learn from my mistakes on future decisions. Especially when it comes to purchasing or NOT purchasing something that might be a good living vehicle. And yes, it is probably better to go with what I have for now. 
I will brainstorm some ways to make the Escape work as an efficient, and fairly comfortable, traveling, and living out of vehicle. Any suggestions are welcome. Maybe I should start a new thread on getting some ideas on how to do that.

Just a suggestion about that Koolatron cooler. You'd be better off selling that for whatever you can get for it and using a regular ice cooler until you can afford a compressor fridge. That Koolatron only chills to 40 F BELOW ambient temperature so if it's 90 out, all your food will spoil.

It also sucks power like crazy - the thing was meant for only being plugged in while the vehicle is running. There's a reason they come complete with a 120V cord as well as the 12V one. Do Not leave it plugged in to the starter engine overnight. 

DO NOT depend on the Koolatron for anything other than keeping beer and soda cooler than it would be if it wasn't in the cooler.

Yes, an ice cooler is a PITA because you have to buy ice every couple of days (hint, buy blocks not bags of ice) and you have to drain it at least every second day but at least your food won't spoil.