need help building home-made Camper Shell for Mazda B3000

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I've watched a couple of videos here and there about using my Mazda B3000 V6 to camp in, maybe full-time.  The full-timing in it is a bit worrisome because it is so small, but it could be a start.  My biggest issue is I am not a carpenter, and don't know any men in my area to ask to help me.  I can only afford to do this a little at a time also as I have extra to spend on it each month.  Have good credit, but it doesn't seem to matter because my income is "under" the line.  I'm glad it is, because a newer vehicle would be more insurance, more for maintenance etc.

I know my truck, I know every, new part I've had replaced since it was new in '94.  I runs wonderfully, but it's an old truck.  Looks good though, finally got it repainted, including wheels and having new tires put on.  I love my truck ;)  Anyway, back to the topic, I took off the older canopy because it wouldn't be secure to camp in and I didn't know how to close the darn thing from the inside.  I saw a camper build on a small truck and think that is doable, door and all.

Anyone know something about this and willing to talk with me here?  Pointers, suggestions, I'll answer any questions.  I do live in a small town in the NW corner of California, one reason it's harder to meet more people that might be able to help me build something.  I would of course pay them to help me ;)

Take a look at the Teardrop and Tiny Trailers site (tnttt.com) in the "foamies" forum. There is a thread where one was built on an older Toyota Tacoma using glue and a paint brush. If you can do crafts you can build one of these. I went a cheaper heavier route using their methods with interior doors instead of 2" 4'x8' sheets of insulation foam but mine has lasted several years, is super strong and cost very little. Toppers can be modified to have a locking door from the inside with a simple clamp or vice grips so there is that but you can also use the methods above to build a regular door in the opening. I wanted a taller one, more privicy, better insulated and a regular camper type door so I just built the whole thing. Check them out, they will help you as well as answer your questions.

I used up all my "rating" of posts for the day or I'd give you one ;)  I will go take a look at your info @bullfrog.  I'll be back and let you know what I see that might be doable for me.  I am pretty handy with simpler things, fixing my own things around the apartment, put together my own bicycle, and a corner-type desk for my computer and accessories.  Have my own tools that I use, from tools to work on my computers, to larger tools for bigger jobs.  I was going to change my own alternator, I think that was the part ;) but I could not reach it and don't have a garage, lol!

Hi bullfrog, want to focus first (study up) on something for a camper-shell, no a trailer, at this point anyway. I do appreciate your help, very much though. It's good for me to see what's out there for future reference.

Another issue, which I mentioned, but didn't expand on, is that I have no place to do any real work on my truck bed. What I know I need, is someone to help me here in town. But I wanted to get some sort of plan laid out so I would know what it would cost me to build, then I have to ask a couple people I know that have lived here their whole lives, and one is the guy that painted my truck. He might know someone to help me.

I'll keep looking on this forum for anyone that built something into the bed of their small truck. I've seen a few on Youtube and I really loved this one I'll show you below. I could live in something like this, I think ;) Not sure you can see that link but I'll give it a try. My truck has the extended cab but 6 ft bed all the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJD-oIW0q_ACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

My little camper is on a 1993 4 cyl Toyota Pickup. It's a welded steel tube frame covered with thin painted plywood. The all steel pop top is from an 1964 Econoline Travel Wagon. It folds down flat so it doesn't push much wind. 

IMG_20191118_024051_939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_024051_939.jpg
    IMG_20191118_024051_939.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 43
The reason for looking at tnttt.com in the foamies section is the method they use to build with 2' insulation foam, TiteBond III glue, Harbor Freight drop cloths (really any cloth depending on the surface you want) and cheap oops exterior house paint from big box stores. The foam is light and easy to work with and really doesn't require any power tools. You could throw a tarp over your truck bed and pretty much build on it or go to a campground on a few weekends and use a picnic table as it may take some time for things to dry. I have built one outside in a parking space and one in my son's driveway but used his garage to let panels dry and assembled them on good sunny days. Try building a box for your cooler (the extra insulation will make ice last much longer) to sit in or build a little box you can use as a sink or tote using their method. That way you can get an idea of what is involved. I imagine you will find wood is way too expensive to build with at the present time. Experiment with cardboard and "Poorman's Fiberglass" or PMF which really has nothing to do with fiberglass as it is made with cloth, glue and paint. I used interior doors that were damaged in shipping glued and doweled them into a box and basically waterproofed them while making them structurally stronger with PMF. My huge 80" x 80" x 48" box with a camper door, vents, hardware which has three beds cost me less than $500 to build but today would probably be closer to $800 buying new materials. I really like hugemoth"s and would like to see more pictures of how it goes up and down for travel! I had thought of using a store bought ladder rack and enclosing it originally until I found PMF could be made without much structure it was so strong.

bullfrog said:
I really like hugemoth"s and would like to see more pictures of how it goes up and down for travel!

Yes, me too. Cool little rig!

If the problem with the old cap is just an issue with locking it from the inside that's an easy fix. I would just reinstall that, we can help out with locking/unlocking from the inside.

Building your own is not for the faint of heart. If you decide to build your own DO NOT use windows and doors with square corners.

Highdesertranger

^^^Or lightweight! Older small trucks need lightweight! My original plan was to buy a cheap ladder rack and enclose it with cheap plywood. Plywood is no longer cheap! PMF allows one to use insulation foam or like I did damaged, used doors. Heck you could probably just use cardboard and PMF to get it water tight. I am weary of enclosing metal with it as Lotus cars used steel tubing enclosed in fiberglass that rusted the tubing probably due to condensation after several years. My camper used little metal in it's design and has lasted several years already with few problems. I did repaint the oldest one this year. I simply used a roller and it took a couple hours and was dry in am afternoon to the touch. It is way easier than treating the roof yearly on my wife's new manufactured RV.

IMG_0548_copy_800x600.jpgThe thin wall 1" square steel frame is probably lighter than a wood frame, and likely cheaper to build with lumber prices being what they are. The plywood is really thin and cheap luan that is non structural. It can all be replaced in an hour as it's just attached with self tapping sheet metal screws. Foam would also be easy to attach.

Here is a pic with the top down. All it takes to put it up is to get inside, release the latch, push up and out on the half moon shaped sides. Takes just seconds to put up or down and is water tight. You're not likely to find one for sale anywhere and building one would be difficult. They were made by Calthorp Co in England and AFAIK only put on Econoline Travel Wagons from about 1964 to 1967.

Attachments

• IMG_0548_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0548_copy_800x600.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 28
hugemoth that place looks familiar Granite Mtns? What kind of bike is that on the front of the trailer looks like an oldie?

Highdesertranger

Location of the pic is near the sourh end of Kelbaker Rd in the Mojave Preserve. The bike is mishmash of old parts from my junk steel pile but mostly a 1968 Trail 90 with a Lifan 140cc engine. Trailer is mostly a Harbor Freight with hubs (front hubs) from the same old 64 Econoline the camper top came from. Hubs have the same lug bolt pattern as the Toyota Pickup so no need to carry a separate spare tire.

IMG_5603_copy_600x900.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5603_copy_600x900.jpg
    IMG_5603_copy_600x900.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 20
yep that's the Granite Mtns. I took many Desert field studies classes there when I was in college. There is a University of California remote class room there.

Cool bike. thanks for the better pic.

Highdesertranger

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like you have found a good cheap simple solution to get out there, Hard to beat the Toyota for reliability. The bikes make finding remote areas easy. Do you use the bed of the truck for sleeping, do you carry a tent or shelter of any kink of expanded living area?

Cheap, reliable, small enough to get to places inaccessible to bigger rigs.

The camper has no floor, it sets on the bed rails. Inside is a bunk and a chair with a rubber mat on the floor, stove, refrigerator, heater, lights, etc.. I don't carry a tent and spend most of my time outside, but it's comfortable enough to spend the day in during bad weather. Wouldn't be a good rig for stealth camping in a city.

Thanks for all the replies, I had no idea there were any here I hadn't seen.  I didn't get notified in my email, and yes, I should have came in and checked.  My apologies.

I'm pretty down right now  I want to change my life for the better by moving, and living out like a gypsy would be good, but I would definitely want to find a group to travel with.  I can go from place to place alone, I'm responsible and independent, but for me personally, I want to be around people I know, or a group with a good reputation.

It would be great to meet some of you that are in groups, not just online.  I could come and meet people this summer, very soon, and just camp in a tent if I can't get my truck-bed ready.  I  have a pic of my truck now, but no canopy because I had the guy that painted my truck remove it, for now. He took some dents out first, put some primer over very little rust it had at it runs excellent as I did keep up on the maintenance and new parts it's needed over the years, 94 Mazda B3000, extended cab.

I know it could be fixed for living on the road but I feel overwhelmed right now.  I have no family (no children) and few friends that I get together with as they all have their kids, grandkids, husbands, and I think I am a misfit.  I'm living in Senior housing, lovely apartment but most people here, if not all, either have families they spend times with, don't stay active walking, hiking, kayaking like I love, and camping.  And the other that could do something with me, won't.  So I go alone.

Well there was a bunch of whining if I ever saw any, LOL!! 

Here's my little rig: Ok, it didn't attach. I'll get that after dinner. It's just a small truck which you guys know what that looks like anyway. We have a couple of Junkyards here in town and I'll go there tomorrow and see if they've got anything I might use, like another canopy. I might be able to get the other back but it was really a piece of junk itself. Had to be bolted on the truck and the painter filled all those holes that my X drilled 20 some years ago ;) I'm not givin up, still feel bad I didn't know I'd missed all the replies. Denise

highdesertranger said:
If the problem with the old cap is just an issue with locking it from the inside that's an easy fix.  I would just reinstall that,  we can help out with locking/unlocking from the inside.

Building your own is not for the faint of heart.  If you decide to build your own DO NOT use windows and doors with square corners.

Highdesertranger
I still might be able to get it back.  I think he was going to just dump it for me.  If he still has it, I can take some pic of it.  I don't think it ever fit my truck right when I bought it used in 97.  My X drilled all kinds of holes for bolting it down, and the painter filled them all in nicely.  I have pics of the truck but had to upload them by way of flickr, and I will post them below when the system lets me try again.