need help building home-made Camper Shell for Mazda B3000

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are special clamps you can use on most toppers so no holes are required.

Those clamps are no good off pavement. LOL ask me how I know. the proper way is to bolt it down. Highdesertranger

I bet you guys she would stay home rather than drill holes in her newly painted truck! Lol!!!

Well then she could use those clamp and have the cap come loose and fall off like what happened to me. Well it didn't fall all the way off. I caught it before it hit the ground but it scratched the hell out of my paint when it slid off the side. Highdesertranger

You are going to have more friends than you know what to do with! There are so many of us out here everywhere. Come to Quartzsite this winter!

bullfrog said:
Take a look at the Teardrop and Tiny Trailers site (tnttt.com) in the "foamies" forum. There is a thread where one was built on an older Toyota Tacoma using glue and a paint brush. If you can do crafts you can build one of these. I went a cheaper heavier route using their methods with interior doors instead of 2" 4'x8' sheets of insulation foam but mine has lasted several years, is super strong and cost very little. Toppers can be modified to have a locking door from the inside with a simple clamp or vice grips so there is that but you can also use the methods above to build a regular door in the opening. I wanted a taller one, more privicy, better insulated and a regular camper type door so I just built the whole thing. Check them out, they will help you as well as answer your questions.
Ok Bullfrog, finally done with errands, and I'm going over to learn about these "foamies" ;)  Took me awhile to find the link and I'll bookmark it this time ;)  Thank you much, Denise

Ok, I don't want to join another forum, I feel at home here, but I did take a look at the Foamie thread on tnttt.com and found out a little.  Some of the language (having no skills in actual building, ok, there was some Lincoln Logs in my past :p ) about "how to" put these things together was totally foreign to me.  I may be getting some help though, I'm so hoping.  Got a promising note yesterday, and so what I want to focus on is what materials I need to buy, and how much it might cost (ballpark).  After seeing the Foamies, I'm thinking Wow!!  What a light-weight for my little 6 cylinder truck!  But also, which might be more cost effective, a sort of "teardrop" or a Camper shell.

Any ideas?  I know Bullfrog, or someone turned me onto a bunch of pics/styles but I can't find that "google search" link.  I'll look again.  Having a trailer would be good so I could drive into wherever to shop and not drag my home with me :D I would do my best, hopefully driving along with a group, South for the Winter, and back up to possibly my beautiful home-State of Oregon in the Summer.  So pretty good weather if I timed it right.

I do worry a bit about how light-weight these actually are, and I realize now how many varieties match anyone's own creative ideas ;)
I already have the hitch, and I could carry some extras in my truck-bed, and, extended cab.  Might need to have some sort of cover over my truck-bed.  I've seen them, and that would keep things dry that I carry under the cover.  Not a canopy, looks like it snaps down or something.  Usually see them in black. Oh, just found one, they're called tonneau cover.

Trust me you would be dollars ahead if you just buy a cheap light cargo trailer. Then all you have to do is outfit the inside. Highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
You are going to have more friends than you know what to do with!  There are so many of us out here everywhere. Come to Quartzsite this winter!
I am looking at coming down, even just to stay for a week or two ;)  I can't wait to meet people in person, masks or no masks ;)  I'll bring both my telescopes!  Hoping for some very, starry nights in other places.  We have very few in Summer-time up here ;(

tx2sturgis said:
Yep...drill big ugly holes and drop in big ugly bolts and nuts.

It will stay where you bolted it.
That one I had was roached out (bought it for 10 bucks in a craigslist ad I think it was) but the X had bolted it down and it sure never came off since he put it on for me in 97 ;) I don't know, I need to call that guy and see if he still has it. I'd rather go for a foamie I'm thinking, either trailer or camper-shell ;)

hugemoth said:
The thin wall 1" square steel frame is probably lighter than a wood frame, and likely cheaper to build with lumber prices being what they are. The plywood is really thin and cheap luan that is non structural. It can all be replaced in an hour as it's just attached with self tapping sheet metal screws. Foam would also be easy to attach.

Here is a pic with the top down. All it takes to put it up is to get inside, release the latch, push up and out on the half moon shaped sides. Takes just seconds to put up or down and is water tight. You're not likely to find one for sale anywhere and building one would be difficult. They were made by Calthorp Co in England and AFAIK only put on Econoline Travel Wagons from about 1964 to 1967.
I really like the look yours, and to get that extra head-space when you need it is excellent!!  Do you have a photo of the interior, how you have the bed etc?  I know that's pretty personal so I could wait til you dust :D

bullfrog said:
There are special clamps you can use on most toppers so no holes are required.
Ok, the affordable ones may have to be drilled, like my old one was.  I think I'll need a DIY, not that it could have the clamps I suppose ;)

highdesertranger said:
Those clamps are no good off pavement.  LOL ask me how I know.  the proper way is to bolt it down.  Highdesertranger
LOL, another memory growing up!  I remember hearing my mom, or my grandmother griping about my dad or Grandpa saying "do you have to hit every hole in Texas?"  I think that's how it went anyway ;)

highdesertranger said:
Well then she could use those clamp and have the cap come loose and fall off like what happened to me.  Well it didn't fall all the way off.  I caught it before it hit the ground but it scratched the hell out of my paint when it slid off the side.  Highdesertranger
I'd take the bolts.  Chances are, the topper will outlive my gypsy-lifestyle ;)

hugemoth said:
Cheap, reliable, small enough to get to places inaccessible to bigger rigs.

The camper has no floor, it sets on the bed rails. Inside is a bunk and a chair with a rubber mat on the floor, stove, refrigerator, heater, lights, etc.. I don't carry a tent and spend most of my time outside, but it's comfortable enough to spend the day in during bad weather. Wouldn't be a good rig for stealth camping in a city.
Fabulous, for "needs" a fridge, stove, heater, lights are a must have ;)  I'd be outside too, but need a cozy place to snuggle with my pup of rainy days ;)

highdesertranger said:
Trust me you would be dollars ahead if you just buy a cheap light cargo trailer.  Then all you have to do is outfit the inside.  Highdesertranger
Those don't have any windows :s So they come in "light-weight"?  I'll go google them!  Never thought of a Cargo trailer.  I could just get a chainsaw and make some windows right?? :D Just turn me loose!!  I'll fix'er up right nice!

I don't think so on that, too much work and too heavy I'm guessing, even a 6X4. I think I'm back to my tent ;) Well, I'll wait and see what I might be able to afford to have built (materials). With a Foamie I would have to invest in the trailer it sets on too. Those aren't cheap, but I haven't been to the junkyard yet ;)

What are you going to do for windows if you home build? just install windows in the trailer. Go to an RV wrecking/surplus yard and pick up whatever you need.

BTW do not use residential windows and doors.

Also while they build some incredible stuff over at the Tear drop website they are weekenders they use their trailers once or twice a year. they don't build them to live in. Most of them use el cheapo junk trailers as a base. I wouldn't trust them to go around the block.

Highdesertranger

I honestly can't do any of the work myself except hold the hammer, or maybe the ladder, if someone trusts me :D  So I really think I'm going to get help if all works out.  If that's the case, I'll be asking them what they can, and are willing to do for me, then I'll buy the materials ;)  

I thought you liked to live on the edge HDR, but you wouldn't even drive around the block even, lol ;)