Need extra space in your van try this

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyflorida

Reaction score
I seen this in florida last year not sure if its legal or what i just found it humorous so i thought i would share

Attachments

• crazy van.jpg
    crazy van.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 56
Jimmyflorida said:
I seen this in florida last year not sure if its legal or what i just found it humorous so i thought i would share
An A+ for ingenuity.

Looks a bit scary to me especially since he is driving.

I have seen videos of vans with slide outs... Maybe that person is on his way to the repair shop cause it got stuck?.. Or maybe he doesnt have enough solar to power it back in?

I am certain however that slideouts are the future for vans. We will see in the not so distant future 3 bdr homes at the push of a button popping out of a Ford Windstar.

You would think that was for temporary use only.  Looks dangerous.

Here's a similar one I saw a few years back that makes a lot more sense (except during a heavy rain):

Stretch van.jpg

Attachments

• Stretch van.jpg
    Stretch van.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
desert_sailing said:
An A+ for ingenuity.

Looks a bit scary to me especially since he is driving.

I have seen videos of vans with slide outs... Maybe that person is on his way to the repair shop cause it got stuck?.. Or maybe he doesnt have enough solar to power it back in?

I am certain however that slideouts are the future for vans. We will see in the not so distant future 3 bdr homes at the push of a button popping out of a Ford Windstar.
you can see there is a support from the reese hitch the over swing would be crazy on tight turns

I really do love the creativity and ingenuity of humans.  It is a beautiful thing. The contraptions we come up with may not always beautiful but how fun is the process!

How I wish we could change the E Pluribus Unum (The Borg)

to

"To Each His Own" (freefolk)

Sofisintown said:
I'm sure in heavy rain they will pack it in and shut the door.

As long as they don't imbibe too much...

I have seen commercial versions of this. They are slide outs. They slide inside the vehicle for travel. Google, camper van slide out, and you will see quite a few.
The disadvantage that I see is there has to be room for it to slide into so there can not be any cabinets on the inside of the van itself. They have to be built into the slide out.

The back doors are only about 48" wide. There is still a pretty good space between the door jamb and indise wall for shallow shelves.

The original pictured van would be illegal in Minnesota:  Extending more than 3 feet behind vehicle without running lights and obscuring license plate, probably exceeding GAWR in rear.

Plus if he hits a bump at speed he would loose control, the front wheels could even come off the ground.

It is just a slide out with the same advantages/disadvantages as other slide outs:
 + added interior space; estimate ~ 30% more living space when open.
 - restricted or unusable interior space when closed.
 - lots of added weight, a lot of support structure underneath to cantilever like that.
 - seals are always a problem, especially as they age.
 - slide outs do sometimes jam: closed, open, part-way.
 - something that big would be a b!tch to open and close manually, so needs motors.