• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need Architect/Designer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmiker

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to hire an architect to help design a cargo trailer conversion.  If anyone on here has a suggestion of where I can find such a person please let me know. 

Thank you

I used a piece of paper, a ruler, and a pencil. For a rule of thumb on the ruler, you can either use the CM-FT scale (every centimeter on the paper represents 1 ft in real life), or for a larger drawing on a full 8.5"x11" paper, you can use the .5"-1' scale (every 1/2 inch on the paper represents 1 ft in real life).

All of the components that go into a conversion have their sizes listed (mattress, couch, fridge, microwave, toilet, sink, light fixtures, batteries/invertor, propane tank) if you look them up. I only spent about 2 hours on my complete drawing. Much of the wiring/switches depends on your placement as to how they attach, and are routed.

Not sure how much an architect would charge for his time, it won't be cheap, but it will better quality than mine.

that would be my suggestion. graph paper, pencil, eraser and ruler. I am doing this right now. highdesertranger

It is easier to do it yourself.

As long as you know some basic rules for the vehicle/trailer that you're building out. For a trailer you need to know how much tongue weight is optimum as well as knowing how to balance weights further back.

While personal comfort needs to take first place in the layout, good planning also includes weight distribution. Chances are slim to nil that any architect will have this knowledge so you'll either pay to have them get the education or they'll not pay any attention to those necessities and you'll end up with a trailer that doesn't tow well.

All the information you need is here on the site - just ask!

Hello,
Well I was trying to reply to your messages and messed that up so I’m sorry for that. Not to savvy with the forum yet.

So thank you all for the thoughtful replies.

I will utilize all of your ideas. I will get drafting paper and the cm-inch ruler and then will utilize this awesome forum for suggestions from the cheapRVliving community on my design.

I have a friend who is a professional product designer. He has done some cargo van work before. I can talk to him however his rates are not cheap because he is a very experienced professional designer who does not work for peanuts. Of course the same kind of rates will be true for an experienced architect. But unfortunately architects think house construction methods which don't keep what things weight under control.  I don't know what your hourly budget is or if you are realistic about how many hours it will take to do a one of a kind, custom consultation as well as making working drawings for you to use during the construction. So you had better PM me with your expectations so I can get a yes or no answer from him.

You are welcome to use the ideas in my Van Conversion website below in the signature line.  It is why I made the website and offer it for free. 

When you click on the link right below the title  Van Conversion there is a small link for Utility Trailer conversion. Just click the link and take a look.