Need a Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
I was in a major car accident last week. I was pulled from the car unconscious and the car was totaled. I was not very seriously injured. I am, however, in the unenviable position of needing to buy a car. I am very uncertain what to do. I am going to be full timing it in just over three years. I do have access to an F150 truck which I can't use as a daily driver because my handicapped sister can't get into it. I don't think I am going to need a toad when I full time, however, I am considering buying a very small car that could become a toad if I decide to buy a small class C. What vehicle would you buy if you were in this situation.

I would look for something for the short term  (3 years)  

An older Buick or ???

1989 to 1998 Sunrunner, Tracker or Sidekick 4X4. To tow 4 down you need manual hubs, but they are supposed to be relatively inexpensive.

First, let me say I am glad you were not seriously injured!

As for a new vehicle, without knowing your budget, what kind of vehicle you had or how you will use it for the next three years, my best advice is to get a good used Mazda, Toyota, Subaru or Honda sedan or SUV (whichever is easiest for your sister to get in-out of) since they hold their value reasonably well and you can enjoy the good mileage until you get your full-timer vehicle.

Prius!!

1) An honest 50 MPG,
2) One of the most reliable cars ever made
3) amazing amount of room
4) big generator on wheels--it will meet all your electrical needs including AC.

You will have to tow it with a dolly but that is no big deal compared to what it gives you. Park the class C and take it on short trips in the area. It's remarkably easy to turn it into a very comfortable camping rig. Gotta drive it across the country for some reason. No big deal, park the RV and head out. You could even tow it behind the van!

The only other option for me would be either a SUV or Tacoma with 4x4 to get into the backcountry. They combine extremely well with a Class C.
Bob
Bob

akrvbob said:
Prius!!

4) big generator on wheels--it will meet all your electrical needs including AC.

Bob, this post almost made my head explode!  (in a good way)
I likely need to search for some Prius threads where this will have been discussed/debated to a pulp- but if one were to tow a Prius behind an RV or van (V8 Chevey Express sufficient?), for whatever reason, could the large battery of the Prius be used as an addition Bank for the van/RV- even charging the house batteries?  Of course this implies that one is driving the Prius sufficiently for its battery charging needs too...  Just seems like this pairing could be a great solution for a long term camp, with a frequent commute (camperforce, workamping etc)

thx, jj

JJPDX said:
could the large battery of the Prius be used as an addition Bank for the van/RV- even charging the house batteries?  Of course this implies that one is driving the Prius sufficiently for its battery charging needs too... 

I'm no expert on the Prius, just a huge fan--hopefully Suanne will answer--she is the expert!!

I have a friend with a Highlander Hybrid who tows a travel trailer (it's rated to 3500 pounds) It has the same charging/drive system as the Prius. I understand it has two motors to be able to handle the weight so it only gets 26 MPG.

She has 200 watts on the trailer but I'm certain she has told me that if that runs out she uses the Highlander to charge the house batteries. Think of it this way, you could attach an inverter to the Hybrid drive battery pack and then run an extension cord to run the 110 in your house. The Hybrid motor would automatically start up however often needed to keep the big battery back charged.

It's a super-efficient charging system, it's probably quite doable.
Bob

I really never looked at the prius. It is kind of like a self propelled Honda Generator. I see they have different versions. Any idea if one makes a better camper than the others?

Ok, I feel I should chime in here about the Prius.  I feel this should be considered when looking for a Prius.

One of my Professors has a Prius...2010. It's got a serious problem. Oil is getting into the gas. This apparently is not an uncommon issue because after she told me I googled it and there are several reports of this and Toyota won't own up to it. Toyota apparently is saying that using a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal. Normal!? This is disturbing because I'm a huge Toyota fan. But don't take my word, research this.

The second problem I have with a Prius is the ability of a DIY'er to fix this car. It's very likely that any problem this car has, it'll need to go to the dealer because it is a very specialized automobile...and we all know that dealerships charge outrageous prices. 

This of course is only my opinion and info that I've found. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe newer Prius's don't have this problem. 

I'd look for a small Honda or Toyota sedan with maybe a 5sp tranny. Auto tranny's can go out and can exceed the value of the car. 
How about a 5spd Geo Metro. They have a huge on-line following and can go for pretty cheap. Great MPG also. But, the only difference between a Metro and a tin can is...um, surely there is a difference, someone help me out here.... :p

DannyB1954 said:
How about 

I've seen it that concept but have several concerns about it. I am not worried about the ugly factor.

But I think a van (or minivan, or Element-like model) with the Prius drivetrain would be awesome for us and would help their line-level MPG ratings.

Pretty sure the Ford Focus can be towed flat, even with an automatic. Might be a good choice since you need something lower for your sister, and it could be a toad if you decide you want one.