Necessary to choose low-temperature battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure they are going to be incredibly expensive when compared to even Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. They claim they can do this by adding particular chemicals that allow low temp charging and operation. These batteries are intended for extreme temperature conditions where cost wouldn't be that great of a factor.

this really isn't an issue with RVs though. You can always place them inside or surround them with heating elements and a thermostat to bring them up to a temperature where they can be charged. This can be done quite cheaply and easily.

Considering that Bob Wells began his RV life by living in Anchorage Alaska full time even in the winter for quite a few years that means you will find some advice given by him on this website and in his videos on his youtube channel about surviving cold temperatures.

Are you talking about a vehicle starting battery, or a house battery that will power your lights/chargers ? A vehicle starting battery will be aided by having more CCA (cold cranking amps). A house battery could be moved inside to keep in non-freezing conditions for better performance.

Lifeblue lithium batteries have a low temp version that can be charged at -4 F. They also have a blue tooth app that shows you exactly the state of charge of the battery.

lifebluebatteries.com

Thermaheat makes heating pads for exposed holding tanks, step heaters and pipe heaters. I installed a step heater under my battery box and three step heaters on my steps into my RV. They are low wattage and so far seem to be doing the job I intended for them to do. The temps here in SE Idaho have been dipping into the low teens for overnights. We got a bit of snow a few weeks back and the steps stayed clear and my batteries are staying warm. I'm happy. I didn't have to pay over a grand for special batteries for the sub 0 temps we get here.

the make battery heating wraps but as far as I know they are all 120v. are any of those step heaters 12v? highdesertranger

wbleatham said:
Thermaheat makes heating pads for exposed holding tanks, step heaters and pipe heaters. I installed a step heater under my battery box and three step heaters on my steps into my RV. They are low wattage and so far seem to be doing the job I intended for them to do. The temps here in SE Idaho have been dipping into the low teens for overnights. We got a bit of snow a few weeks back and the steps stayed clear and my batteries are staying warm. I'm happy. I didn't have to pay over a grand for special batteries for the sub 0 temps we get here.
Wow, thats great, and how can I buy that?

If you’re going to have to place lithium batteries outside and are going to be in freezing weather, then you need to get either self-warming batteries such as relion or a battery blanket.  However you didn’t state if you were full time and have been living a nomadic life for a while, or if you were just planning at this time. Also you didn’t describe your existing rig.  

If you are in a small rig such as a van or class-b you are already limited in space and if your existing batteries are exterior, then you have to think really carefully if you are willing to give up interior space for batteries.  Also you would potentially have to do some rewiring and swapping charge controllers to move your batteries inside.

You could use AGMs.  They are better in cold weather environments than lithium.  They don’t last as long as lithium and you have to be a bit more careful not drain below 50%.  The main reason that lithium tends to last longer than AGM has to do with how you charge them.  Way too many folks don’t understand the bulk/float phases of charging and think that if the just ‘top off the batteries’ at the end of the day to get to 12.6, then they have done a good charge.  Nope - and doing that will shorten the life of the battery.  However I also know of some folks that pretty much destroyed their lithium batteries after three years due to improper charging for lithium. 

I have AGMs in a class-B and have long considered switching to lithium.  I like that I’d have more power, don’t have to fully charge them on a daily basis, would reduce my rig’s weight, etc.  But my batteries are currently exterior so would need to take up interior space for the heat reason.  Also, while my AGMs are currently over three years old, they are holding their charge very well.  So if I’m sustaining 14.4 voltage for a couple of hours in the peak of the day, am at 12.7 20 minutes after the sun goes down, and am at 12.4 in the morning after running my compressor fridge over night, then why swap them out?

Cajunwolf said:
Personally, I have no desire to camp anywhere it's so cold one has to have special cold weather batteries and chargers. My 2cents worth.
There are places out west where it might be 70dg during the day, but 15-20 at night.  The days were very nice and we were outside most of the time. So stuff happens.

Lithium Ion batteries can be used and discharged below freezing just fine, but can't be charged below freezing. Many charge controllers (the Victrons for example) have a temperature sensor in the charge controller, and will automatically not charge below 5 degrees Celcius. As long as the daytime gets above freezing each day, or you have enough capacity to get you through the days that don't, just having a charge controller with a temperature sensor is a solution.

Also, the Battle Born batteries have a temperature sensor inside them as well, and will refuse to take a charge if it's below freezing.

I'm using 3 off brand LIFEPo4 batteries and a Victron charge controller. I just try not to camp anywhere that the daytime highs are below about 40 degrees fahrenheit.

orangeminnie said:
There are places out west where it might be 70dg during the day, but 15-20 at night.  The days were very nice and we were outside most of the time. So stuff happens.

That wouldn't be a problem at all. As I mentioned, only CHARGING lithium batteries is an issue below freezing, not discharging or storage. Your solar won't have much charge at night anyway.