Narrowing van criteria

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanada

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been searching for a van regularly but feel my criteria may be getting a bit specific. For instance, my impulse has been to go for barn doors on the side but now I'm wondering if sliding will be sufficient and will open up my options.

Currently my thoughts are:
Chevy Express / GMC Savana: I like the ribbed layout of the Express' "walls" over the Ford E-Series.
G1500: Don't want a sluggish work van
2007: Seems a good age to still have life but also be well priced
Non-extended
Swing / barn side doors
Good mileage / price (duh)
Diesel for better MPG? In which case, I don't think the 1500's have a diesel version.

Please let me know if I'm thinking through my behind and not my brain on any of these. Open to all suggestions!

Cheers,
Tom

Similar to my list of priorities.I was more open to an older model van, because of my budget.

I also had a mileage and price ceiling.

Last but not least was some type of high top

I am considering the Chevy Express as well but I'm more focused on V6 or V8 because of my towing needs for a trailer with
motorcycle in it.

If you have the van long enough a sliding door will probably give you trouble.  So sticking with the barn side doors is a good idea.

It is pretty easy to overload a G1500 Express/Savana van.  I find the g1500 very sloppy in turns, the g2500 less so.  The one ton g3500 handles better in my book.  A g3500 with the semi-floating rear axle, 4.8L L20 v8 and six speed 6L90E trans is not sluggish and can get great mileage.  More brakes and cooling capacity than the lesser rated vans also.  More brakes and cooling means less problems down the road and better safety as well.

If you can afford to get a 2010 or newer Express/Savana with the six speed trans, the manual mode shifting is a wonderful thing.

I think you are making a mistake trying to pre-choose the year.  Have an acceptable maximum mileage and price, and be happy with whatever you find in that range without worrying about what year it is.  Except when dealing with known situations like the Ford spark plug problem, the year is actually pretty unimportant.

Regards
John

Hi Vanada - I chose a 2000 GMC Savanah with the 6.5l turbo diesel (Detroit Diesel, owned by GM at the time).  Have not yet started my conversion so can't quote mpg yet.  Wanted extended wheelbase, but this is the std one.  Wanted a high-top, but this doesn't have that either.  Plus I have to crank my window up and don't have cruise control.  However, I'm pretty sure that it won't care if I'm pulling a trailer or my old 2200sqft house behind it. 

We all have to start somewhere.  Maybe this won't be the vehicle for me.  But it is for now.  200hp/400+ ft/lbs torque..  I got three kitties I have to bring with me and one is kinda hefty. 

I'm liking the barn-style side doors so far.  Because mine is the 'short-bus' version, I may need to keep the rearward door closed most of the time.  Can't do that with a slider.

Best o' luck to you and your choices [their are others, if the first ones don't work out!]

FaL

Having had vans in my life since I was a kid (My dad always had vans for his floor covering and carpet cleaning business) and being in the trades my entire adult life, i've been around an abnormal amount of vans and I've seen an awful lot of sliding doors with problems. So for that reason I prefer the barn doors on the side. However, if the right van and the right deal presented itself, I wouldn't not buy one because of a sliding door.

Awesome, thanks so much for the responses! Exactly the sort of reinforcement I was after. I'll definitely slacken off on some of the options and start looking at G2500 and G3500's instead. Barn doors might stay firm though since I think in the long run they will be worth it. Just making those changes will really open up the amount of suitable options.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I think you are making a mistake trying to pre-choose the year.  Have an acceptable maximum mileage and price, and be happy with whatever you find in that range without worrying about what year it is.  Except when dealing with known situations like the Ford spark plug problem, the year is actually pretty unimportant.

Regards
John

Optimistic.....what years of Ford are those to avoid for the spark plug issue?

Why not extended? I'm just beginning my time with an extended 2010 GMC 1-ton. I wasn't going for an extended version but ended up with one and decided that extra 20" or so is really nice actually....I copy 29Chico on the bit better handling of the 1-ton vs the 3/4 ton and the nifty manual mode shifter....

I thought I was going to lose some MPG with the extended one-ton but if I did I lost precious little. Might as well go for the more capable van if you have the choice.

cortttt said:
Why not extended? I'm just beginning my time with an extended 2010 GMC 1-ton. I wasn't going for an extended version but ended up with one and decided that extra 20" or so is really nice actually....I copy 29Chico on the bit better handling of the 1-ton vs the 3/4 ton and the nifty manual mode shifter....

I thought I was going to lose some MPG with the extended one-ton but if I did I lost precious little. Might as well go for the more capable van if you have the choice.

I'm torn on this: the 20" is extremely useful and worth the little extra gas mileage (which is aerodynamically neglibible; you just have a little extra weight), but then you're way longer than most parking spots (I measured a metered spot at 235 inches).

If I can't fit, I back into a spot at the edge of the lot, with the back end over the grass. I back up until the tires hit the curb. I have fit in some "compact" spaces this way, but I have a Ford so my wheelbase is the same length as a regular van.

cortttt said:

For me, I'm a new driver. I literally passed my test (in the UK) yesterday. Going straight to a van will be one thing so I could do without having it be even longer. Also, it's a matter of pride being able to fit myself and everything in without making it that bit easier. I have a plan to get two bikes stored in the rear within 15" of depth which will be exciting to try and realise.

ascii_man said:
I'm torn on this: the 20" is extremely useful and worth the little extra gas mileage (which is aerodynamically neglibible; you just have a little extra weight), but then you're way longer than most parking spots (I measured a metered spot at 235 inches).

I don't know if it's because I'm in the Western US with their big shopping centers but after two months using this van I've rarely had problems finding a place to park. I'm a little surprised actually. 

These are long vans for sure. I was actually shocked by how long it was but it hasn't had effect on driveability. It drives really nice. 

I'm more concerned with turnarounds on small dirt roads :). Haven't run into that yet but I'm sure I will. 

I checked out some vans on a Chevy lot - when I looked into the back the extended vs regular wheelbase van I was amazed at how much bigger the extended wheelbase vans looked 

Chevy says the length of the cargo area in a regular sized van is 124 inches and an extended van is 146 inches which means those 22 inches give you an almost 20% increase (18% actually) in interior space. That's a major increase in living space given how cramped it can get in there.

Vanada said:
For me, I'm a new driver. I literally passed my test (in the UK) yesterday. Going straight to a van will be one thing so I could do without having it be even longer. Also, it's a matter of pride being able to fit myself and everything in without making it that bit easier. I have a plan to get two bikes stored in the rear within 15" of depth which will be exciting to try and realise.

Congratulations on being a new driver. These vans are REALLY long but I've found that the length - to my surprise -  is really not an issue for me. They drive really nicely.

cortttt said:
Congratulations on being a new driver. These vans are REALLY long but I've found that the length - to my surprise -  is really not an issue for me. They drive really nicely.

Cheers! Your last couple of posts are definitely swaying me a bit. There was a time a while back when I explicitly wanted an extended and then I flipped completely. Now I'm feeling like if I find what I want and it happens to be extended, it won't be a dealbreaker. Equally if it's not extended that should be fine too.

cortttt said:
I don't know if it's because I'm in the Western US with their big shopping centers but after two months using this van I've rarely had problems finding a place to park. I'm a little surprised actually. 

These are long vans for sure. I was actually shocked by how long it was but it hasn't had effect on driveability. It drives really nice. 

I'm more concerned with turnarounds on small dirt roads :). Haven't run into that yet but I'm sure I will. 

I checked out some vans on a Chevy lot - when I looked into the back the extended vs regular wheelbase van I was amazed at how much bigger the extended wheelbase vans looked 

Chevy says the length of the cargo area in a regular sized van is 124 inches and an extended van is 146 inches which means those 22 inches give you an almost 20% increase (18% actually) in interior space. That's a major increase in living space given how cramped it can get in there.

Oh yes, I've done that calculation and you're right: it makes a huge difference. And of course it doesn't matter at shopping centers, truck stops, or Interstates. My concern is about parallel parking. I will have to keep a log of how often it matters.

Bluegrass Voyager said:
Optimistic.....what years of Ford are those to avoid for the spark plug issue?
 2003 through Early 2008 had the two piece plugs that sometimes broke off.  For a few years prior to 2003, they had a different problem - the threaded part of the head was so thin sparkplugs sometimes blew out while you were driving down the road.

By December of 2008, the spark plugs were no longer a problem.

Regards
John

I have a Chevy extended van and I do agree that they actually ride quite a bit better. The long wheelbase is very noticeable in 3-point turns!!!

However, I personally would not let parallel parking play a role in my decision making. I just take it for granted I am never going to parallel park any length of van. Maybe it's different in different regions, but out west I've never found not parallel parking to be an issue.

I just park further away and walk and see the good health benifits of that instead of seeing it as a nuisance.
Bob

ascii_man said:
Oh yes, I've done that calculation and you're right: it makes a huge difference.  And of course it doesn't matter at shopping centers, truck stops, or Interstates.  My concern is about parallel parking.  I will have to keep a log of how often it matters.

I cannot imagine parallel parking that thing (lol)....I don't think I'll have much reason to, though, out where I'm traveling...I agree with Bob - just don't do it :)

Although I must say the split mirrors are really good. I actually feel better backing up in the extended van than in my 4Runner with the 30 inch cargo carrier in the back which I couldn't, for the life of me, tell what it was about to hit....