Narrowing van criteria

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanada said:
Cheers! Your last couple of posts are definitely swaying me a bit. There was a time a while back when I explicitly wanted an extended and then I flipped completely. Now I'm feeling like if I find what I want and it happens to be extended, it won't be a dealbreaker. Equally if it's not extended that should be fine too.

I flipped back and forth so much on vans I was getting dizzy (lol).  I was waking up in the middle of the night thinking...extended vs normal......all wheel drive vs real drive....3/4 ton vs 1 ton....4.8 vs 5.3L  

It got a little crazy...: :rolleyes:

Good luck on whatever you decide.  :cool:

I ended up with an 1-ton 4.8L extended GMC; in the end it came down to availability and price. It was the best van for the money that I could find but I think it was probably the best match anyway (although I'm sure I would have liked that 5.3L engine...)

cortttt said:
I cannot imagine parallel parking that thing (lol)....I don't think I'll have much reason to, though, out where I'm traveling...I agree with Bob - just don't do it :)

Although I must say the split mirrors are really good. I actually feel better backing up in the extended van than in my 4Runner with the 30 inch cargo carrier in the back which I couldn't, for the life of me, tell what it was about to hit....

Could get really decadent and grab one of these...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/y...-4-3-in-dash-mount-0352697p.html#.VvK0hT8yfYM

I'm putting shelves in and filling the van up....At this point I'm very happy with the extended version...the van is starting to fill up!

cortttt said:
I'm putting shelves in and filling the van up....At this point I'm very happy with the extended version...the van is starting to fill up!

What?! Where's the progress thread? I wanna see! :D

No pics yet...

They're coming but it's going to be very basic - a minimalist - build for me - just metal shelving - everything as metal as I can get it given my chemical sensitivities.

Now I'm working out how to get the shelves attached. Right now I'm using tie down straps! I think I need something really strong I can just punch into the braces given all the rough roads this van is going to go on. I don't know if screws are going to work. Chico is looking a riv-nuts

It's so nice starting to get organized, though... I've been camping out of a 4Runner for 2+ years. At this point I CRAVE organization :)

Ok, I'm looking to find a van within the month hopefully. I was locked into the Chevy/GMC search on Craigslist but since it's been slow recently I'm thinking about the Econolines again. My main beef with them are that they look more of a pain to insulate. However they do seem to be going a bit cheaper so if I can spend an extra day messing around with polyiso maybe I can be more open minded.

Whaddya think guys? Give me a push in the right direction! :D

I also like barn door sides. I worked as a mobile mechanic out of vans. The sliders were a pain to close after they worn a bit. Also with barn doors, with the two doors open you can hang a curtain rod between them for a shower stall. You can put fold down shelves on them for an out door kitchen.

I haven't really made up my mind on my preference between side slider door and double barn door. They both have advantages. I do prefer the double rear door vs. the single swing door tho.

When I started dwell'in it in a van, I just went through Craigslists and bought the first $800 van I saw, busted out the tool box and went to work.. :)

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I think you are making a mistake trying to pre-choose the year.  Have an acceptable maximum mileage and price, and be happy with whatever you find in that range without worrying about what year it is.  Except when dealing with known situations like the Ford spark plug problem, the year is actually pretty unimportant.

Regards
John

Based on the little bit of research I've done recently on the Internet, the spark plug issue may be blown out of proportion.  Not saying one shouldn't be careful and out of proportion or not, if it happens to you it doesn't matter.