Mystery Tool ID?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
Last time I thought I was starting the shortest thread in history, I was wrong.  Maybe this time? ;-)

While purging and packing my many-years accumulation of tools today, I ran across two tools that I have no memory of and no idea of their function.  I have a habit of getting into a special project, and buying special purpose tools and learning on the fly.  These undoubtedly came from such a special project somewhere in the murky past.

I might have one clue to offer, but I'll wait and see if anyone knows without it.

Do you know what these are called and what they're for?

First right answer wins. Beer or reasonable beverage of choice to the winner at our first meeting.

See photo below.

Vagabound

==============

CIMG9401.JPG

Attachments

• CIMG9401.JPG
    CIMG9401.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 50
Brake spring tools.

The top one compresses the shoe hold down clip springs, and the bottom one removes and installs the long mechanical springs.

I agree.....The bar end is for putting the spring back on....the black end is for removing the spring from the stud.
The red tool is for working on the coil springs that hold the shoes onto the backing plate.

That would have been my hint: Probably related to brake work.

So, the panel of judges have a follow-up question:

Are these tools used ONLY for drum brakes or also for disk brakes?

Vagabound

I have found those useless on disk brakes.

Mine take sockets and star bits.

poncho62 said:
Which usually break...............

I have had the same set for 10 years.  No problems.  Clean and box them after every use.

gsfish said:
Here are a couple unusual tools that I picked up today. There are so many unusual tools out there that this thread could go on forever. Since I know what they are maybe I'm hijacking this thread.

Guy

Tie rod tool?

You guys got a head start I was out with my son shopping for a mattress, Brake tools Do i come in fifth or sixth???

(gsfish) There are so many unusual tools out there that this thread could go on forever. Since I know what they are maybe I'm hijacking this thread.

It's fine with me if this thread is used to add and ID more goofball tools.  I think it would be fun, and maybe we can learn something useful.

As for your tools, I can't even begin to guess.

(wagoneer) You guys got a head start I was out with my son shopping for a mattress, Brake tools Do i come in fifth or sixth???

This ain't one of them there kan-gar-oo courts, no sir!  Need time to make a proper decision.  

Hmmm ...

At the moment, we got NTB ahead for speed, and GotSmart for accuracy.  The rules did say first, and we've got confirmation on "drum only", so the beer goes to NTB!  Runner-up to Queen for "Best Smartass Reply". Thanks to all.

Vagabound

gsfish said:
Here are a couple unusual tools that I picked up today. 

First picture is of an attitude adjuster.  Hard to find.  Wanted one in my toolbox for years.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
First picture is of an attitude adjuster.  Hard to find.  Wanted one in my toolbox for years.

-- Spiff

1024x1024.jpg

No really strange tools today, But I found this in the ethnic foods section ~~~

Attachments

• child.jpg
    child.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 13
gsfish said:
Here are a couple unusual tools that I picked up today. There are so many unusual tools out there that this thread could go on forever. Since I know what they are maybe I'm hijacking this thread.

Guy

The kit on the right looks like a seal driver set. The ratchet on the left, I have know idea.

I wonder if "Child Shredded Meat" refers to the labor or the ingredients? O.O

BradKW said:
I wonder if "Child Shredded Meat" refers to the labor or the ingredients?  O.O

I'm just surprised it doesn't say "Glutinous" child shredded meat.  They just love that word in food titles.  More evidence that they never ask for help from native speakers, and certainly not marketing people, before printing that stuff.

Vagabound