My Van Design Plan - Thoughts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you get to the drawers to the center under the bed. Does the bed fold away and how?

highdesertranger said:
here is a question. where do you plan to source the automotive glass for the sun roof? isn't it going to have to be curved to match the roof line of the van? that's one big piece of custom glass. moisture is going condense on that like nobody's business. highdesertranger.

There will be four separate pieces of glass on the left, right, back, and top of the car. Hopefully they don't need to be too curved and the cost stays low. Moisture, I can't do much about that, probably won't be too different from a windshield though.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the drawers will probably not be drawers, they just represent open storage space.

ok so you have 4 separate pieces of glass, but where will you get it? it's not like you can go to a glass shop and just buy auto glass and you can't cut it so I am just curious where you are going to get it. highdesertranger

Well, I haven't planned it to that point. However, I doubt I won't be able to find somewhere that will sell a suitable piece of glass, and I'm absolutely sure I'll be able to have it attached.

The first problem I see is compromising the construction of the van to add the greenhouse. And it will be a heating problem as well as a structural one.

Drawing up plans is fine. It helps work up ideas. But until you have an actual van and take into account things like the curvature of the walls (bottom to top and front to back) the placement of wheel humps, the gas filler neck and whether the spare is under the van or in the cargo area, you can't really know whether your plan is workable. A lot of people underestimate the room their own body takes up. I think it's useful to first do a rough build-out using cardboard. How little personal space do you really need? What feels cramped? What gets in the way of what?

As for specifics of your design:

- You didn't say how tall you are, but if you're over about 5'8", or if you don't like sleeping in a fetal position, you probably won't be happy sleeping across the width of the van.

- If you want shelves/cabinets over the bed (am I reading the plans right?), how far off the floor do you plan on putting the bed? Because you need room between the top of the mattress and the bottom of the overhead storage for yourself.

- I have my fridge where the passenger seat once was. The outside is covered by Reflectix, so light from the windows isn't that big a problem. However, you need to be sure the fridge is well anchored (the seat mounting bolts are handy for this) and that it's easily removed for when the doghouse needs to come off for engine access.

- If you're going to have a fridge, how will you power it? If solar, then enough panel to run a fridge will take up a good chunk of your roof, making the skylight rather pointless. The cooling, heating and condensation issues of a skylight have been mentioned elsewhere. Also, the roof is a structural member. The more steel you remove, the more the body flexes. Fiberglass tops work well enough because they flex, too. Glass, not so much. And have you ever been in a hail storm? If you want sunlight, it's much easier to step outside.

JackD said:
Well, I haven't planned it to that point. However, I doubt I won't be able to find somewhere that will sell a suitable piece of glass, and I'm absolutely sure I'll be able to have it attached.

This statement reminds me of a friend and neighbor.

He frequently comes up with these elaborate ideas more designed to impress than be functional. He'll plow on toward the impressive ideal finish with little thought given to actually making it functional other than:
" I'll cross that bridge when i get there."

Often when he gets to the bridge, he finds it is loaded with mines, barb wire, booby traps, machine gun toting meth addicts, possibly some locusts too.

His entire property is loaded with these unfinished projects, and he has very very few that were actually completed that worked for any amount of time. Most of his time is spent fixing things he already both over and under thought at some point in the past and his work arounds if functionality is absolutely required, cost 5 times as much as doing it the way everybody else has since the modern era began.

If he is not fixing them he is trying to sell the remains which nobody anywhere will ever have any realistic use for, and he spent way too much to throw it away, so his entire property is just a junkyard, overflowing with parts to fit some long forgotten long ago given up on project.

And usually he asks me to come over and help him move it somewhere else so he can fit more crap for another project which he will spend outrageous sums on, and never complete.

You'll find that automotive glass places will not do anything that is not Ansi certified safety glass.

Just try having a regular glass shop put a non tempered non safety piece of flat glass in a truck shell and they'll point you toward the door with instructions not to come back and not to drive anywhere near them or their families.

Lofty ideas are great on paper, or with unlimited funds, but when all factors are taken into account, the ideal functional and fashionable end result, is never obtained.

And this skylight of yours is a fun idea, but will never come to fruition unless your grandfather is sir Richard Branson, and he has been smoking crack when you present him with your idea.

Even if you do a home style acrylic or Lexan skylight, getting it to stay sealed with the tremendous amount of roof and body flex, is not going to happen.

There are solutions to every problem of course, but is the effort and expense worthwhile?

Being a sophomore in High school, I bet in 2 years this will be a distant idea you'll barely remember having had, much less pursued.

omg locust, again. me thinks he doesn't realize that there is now where to buy that glass. it's a one of a kind custom job that will cost much more money than the van is worth. highdesertranger

Hey, everyone knows locusts are drawn to sunroofs!!! :)

It's very important to dream big dreams!! I greatly admire that in you! But, living in a van requires much more compromise with practical realities of a limited budget and a tiny space.

I'd suggest sticking to a little more tried and proven ideas that you'll find here and other places on the web.
Bob

I hate to rain on anyone's parade. I'm reminded of the old adage "too much analysis causes paralysis". But, I over-analyze everything, so I understand.

What is the purpose of the sky-light? Do you want to enjoy the view of the stars? Or do you just want a light source?

I have a little refrigerator, it's really pretty cute. I was thinking that I could use it as a cooler, put ice in it. I was using a cooler, but every time I wanted to get something out of it, I had to move everything that was on top if it to get the lid open. The fridge has the door in front of course. I had several problems. The door likes to fly open while I drive. It's hard to pack it so everything doesn't fall out when I open the door. But, there are some places I go where I can plug it in, so I take it out of the van at those places.

I wonder about people who have a refrigerator in their van. Suppose you want to be out for a week. If you use gasoline to power a generator to power your fridge, you can easily pay more for gas than it would cost for some bags of ice.

Ok, I read the part about you being a high school sophomore. I had a boss once who put himself through college with his van. He had a cargo van. He would move people. Every semester people are moving to a new apartment. He worked real hard between semesters, hiring fellow students to help. You can only do this if you have a van that you can put stuff in. I can take everything out of my van and have a big empty cargo van in about 15 minutes.

I'm reminded of the first "hobo" stove I made. It wasn't perfect, but I learned, so I made another one. Then another. I have to do something at least 5 or 10 times before I get it right. So, before I tackle a project, I estimate the time it will take, then multiply that by 5 or 10.

So buy a van. Put a little ad in your local paper, "man with a van", $25 / hour plus $1 / mile. Save your money, get an education, and plan a career. RV vans are for old retired guys, like you'll be some day.

Just throwing out an idea on the sky light issue. I agree that a total glass ceiling just isn't practical. But back in the 70s and 80s there were many aftermarket sky lights for trucks and vans available. They measured somewhere around 15'' x 36'' give or take. You could achieve the same "feel" your going for by taking 2 of them and mounting them side by side length wise instead of across the van. Most had aluminum frames and could bend slightly to the different contours of various roofs. Once you get a van, you can start doing some measuring. If they won't fit length wise without cutting a structural member, you can always mount them one behind the other across ways on each side of that structural member. I bet you could find these at a you pull it type junk yard for $20 apiece or less - and they'd most likely be made with safety glass.

good idea masterplumber. they are made with safety glass. but they did have a habit of leaking. highdesertranger

Wow, lots of thoughts. Thank you everyone.

I could try to respond to some of the problems that have been made clear, but I don't have any legitimate solutions yet.

It seems most people realize this and have even pointed it out, but the design I've posted here is just a dream. I don't expect it to come to reality for a few years, and probably not in its full form. I understand that the skylight poses problems with heat control and flexing of the roof. However, the non-conventional ideas are because the intended function is to comfortably hold 5 people. I will need a large window in some place on the van to create the illusion of space and keep everyone happy. I want to put it somewhere that it will let everyone easily look at the stars, and the best spot for that is undoubtedly over the bed.

This is more a concept than a formal design. I hope everything turns out like I imagine, but I really have little personal experience with cars and vans other than riding in them, and I don't expect a perfect result. I don't know for sure that any of my plans will work until I find a van and can measure its individual dimensions and capacities.

I think it's cool that you're sharing your ideas and getting some good feedback. Would your designing a vehicle outfit like this fill the bill for some good science, math, mechanics, cad term projects at school?

I know this has been posted, but did you see this? This guy has the imagination AND some mad practical skills under his belt and he didn't let anything stop him, it appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHGKUh-5O4&app=desktop

I think it's great that you're in high school and feel confident enough to post a dream and ask for advice to help shape the reality. Bravo.

Whatever you're planning on doing with these four other people and you, keep it in the forefront of your mind as life happens. It may not happen as you imagine it or when you image it will but keep working it out so that you eventually achieve this dream of yours. I wanted to take a cross country trip the summer after high school before I began college. It didn't end up happening but I did take that trip in my early 20's. A friend and I car camped around the US and Canada for 6+ weeks. We put over 11,000 miles on a car. We had a blast and there are lots of great memories. There were things that didn't work out but we survived and they are part of our memories too.

Keep dreaming and look for ways to develop skills that will help you achieve your dream.

GypsyChic

My girl has a SUV with what is called a moon roof. It is glass, it has a cover, it can be opened. So totally closed to block the sun, just glass to let in light, or open for air flow.

Over all -- looks good --

Any plans for roof storage of long term stuff ?

Sassypickins, I have considered working this into school for academic credit. It should qualify and would possibly help with funding and resources.

Ricekilla, I am thinking of working from a high-top van, which would definitely help with storage space.

With that many people, why not a cheap box van or ambulance? Flat roof will make mounting a big skylight contraption/hatch easier. My ambulance has seating for 6, 3 on the bench, one in a captains chair and two up front. Can add a center seat up front for another belt. Flat roof is easy to modify, aluminium is easy to cut and drill. I'm getting a small doghouse welded up to give me standing headroom down the center, or adding a small hatch/sunroof to make servicing solar panels easier, and so I can sit on the roof depending on what I can afford when I get time to work on my own van. Could even put a rooftop tent on it if you just need more sleeping space.

This type of big glass is available, certifiable and can be custom cut, can even be double paned to slow heat loss... though the last one I touched was about 15, 000$ for the piece I think, and it weighed well over 200lbs, needs to be stripped down and rebuilt every 5 years or so too which costs another 1000-2000$. Going from memory of an old invoice for that one, probably even more costly now.

It'd be cheaper to split into two groups in two vans for that cost, and at that point if one breaks down, you've got a tow vehicle, or a sick room for whoever is ill etc.