My Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
While on my self-imposed exile I stumbled across a car dealer with a small used trailer for sale. The pictures looked good and he sent me some additional photos I asked for. 

It's an 18' Fleetwood Terry, small enough for my half ton pickup and big enough for me and my small cat.

It's in Ventura Ca., I haven't decided whether to get it delivered or make the trip out and back. I'll be doing one or the other around the first when retirement check hits the bank, right now he has half the price as a deposit.

Here it is;

1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p1.jpg

1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p2.jpg

1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p6.jpg

Rob

Attachments

• 1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p1.jpg
    1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p1.jpg
    72 KB
  • 1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p2.jpg
    1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p2.jpg
    84.4 KB
  • 1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p6.jpg
    1988-fleetwood-terry-122-p6.jpg
    76 KB
Nice. You should be quite comfortable in that. I recently purchased a toy hauler trailer 22'. I figured by the time I bought a cargo trailer and built it up I would have a rig twice as expensive and half as nice. It would also take me weeks if not months of work.

I don't have the skills to convert a cargo trailer, I admire those that do. This was the right price and shouldn't overwork my small v-8. Nothing fancy but should be serviceable enough for me. I do dread driving to Ca. to pick it up and driving back. I looked at the price of renting a truck one way back to here....Damn......

Rob

Gunny said:
I don't have the skills to convert a cargo trailer, I admire those that do. This was the right price and shouldn't overwork my small v-8. Nothing fancy but should be serviceable enough for me. I do dread driving to Ca. to pick it up and driving back. I looked at the price of renting a truck one way back to here....Damn......

Rob

If you get an equalizer hitch it will make the move easier. You can often find these on craigslist for a hundred bucks. Also install a Brake controller. You will also need a place to plug the RV into. The most common is a 7 pin RV. I can help you with installing these things if need be.

You can make my place in Pahrump Nv a pit stop going and coming. It may be a bit out of the way, but driving less each day may make it worthwhile. I have a place for you to sleep and get cleaned up.

Danny, I may take you up on the offer of sitting for a day or so, I may need to replenish my funds on Social Security day (second Wednesday). Thanks, Rob

Looks good from the pictures I've seen. Interior shots don't show any leaks. I am taking a leap of faith since it's a Ca. trailer. Rob

How tall are you Gunny? We had one similar with a front bed that was crosswise the front of the trailer and had small cabinets on either side which made it uncomfortable for someone 5' 10". We had to use spacers to raise the bed so we could use the side cabinets tops for pillows to sleep on.

by the look of the picture of the front end it appears to gave the brackets for a equalizer hitch already. I wonder if the dealer has the rest. It needs to be set up for your truck if he does.

I wouldn't be able to build out a trailer anymore, just the appliances would weigh too much. The expense of a cargo trailer and then all of the stuff in a travel trailer adds up to much more as a consumer than I paid for mine too.

6 ft even. With this bad hip probably 5'10". Hopefully I can make do.

Rob

Queen said:
Nice rig, Rob!

If you find the first step a big one, you might try one of these platform steps: https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Products-JQ-S150-Platform-X-Large/dp/B00IZZDRR0/ref=zg_bs_2290233011_2  My mom always used one for her rigs, and I used it for the short time I had mine.  Wide and stable, made those early morning attempts at mobility far easier.

Or, I have read that a lot of people use the plastic crate like things that 2 liter soda pop comes in, turned upside down of course, they are low, and wide and if it breaks for any reason, it can easily be replaced too.
Sharon

Gunny said:
While on my self-imposed exile I stumbled across a car dealer with a small used trailer for sale. The pictures looked good and he sent me some additional photos I asked for. 

It's an 18' Fleetwood Terry, small enough for my half ton pickup and big enough for me and my small cat.

It's in Ventura Ca., I haven't decided whether to get it delivered or make the trip out and back. I'll be doing one or the other around the first when retirement check hits the bank, right now he has half the price as a deposit.

Here it is;

We had a Resort a long time ago.  I liked it, Hubby is always wanting something else so we sold it.  It was a very nice camper, and was really well made for that time and I think it was a '78 model.  
Really good looking rig there Gunny.  I am sure you will have no problems towing it around, and the cat will have loads of places to explore too.
Good luck!!!!!
Sharon

I built myself a set of steps.
2 steps , 3 feet wide with the top one extra deep . Kinda like a porch with room for a door mat to keep the crud out, very stable and I even cut the rise a bit to make it real easy for my mom to climb.
Rough cut scraps and a hand full of screws , almost free !
I just put it inside for travel but you have a truck so.........
Hey you could even use it to climb in and out of the truck bed !

Did just about the same thing as popeye.....except on lower threads went to Lowes/HD and got peel and stick adhesive stair tread strips with reflective yellow for night...worked well....haven't busted my azz in 15 years.