My potential camp ground

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
I have been stoved up from an accident and back surgery, which has put my bus conversion in park!
Today I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and long road ahead of me but wanting to do something; as some of you may know I have a nice piece of property in South West Nebraska where I grew up, it is nice in the scene that it has a creek bordering it, a fruit orchard, a windmill, and other water wells, an old mechanics shop and is on 10 acres.

I live about 7 hours away, the house is in poor shape as well as most things on the property, I am letting the neighbor keep his horses there just to keep the weeds down.

Today I called the county zoning department to see if there were any issues with people living in an rv or any type of vehicle for prolonged periods, and was told that she would have to look into that but was sure there was not.  She knows the property, as her son and I went to school together, I told her I would like to put in a sptic tank for an RV dump station and what would be required, she said that the county had no regulations about that but since they opted into the federal disaster aid program the whole area had been re-mapped as flood zone and it would be difficult at best because fema had new rules.  (convenient that the county did not but when the county adopted the fema requirements to receive aid they can still blame the gov.)

I am pretty sure I can get the old septic system working that is attached to the house now but that wold have to be on the QT because of the new rules I guess.

the last flood was in 1935, I grew up there and dad lived decades and had rain and high water but I guess the gov knows best. (NOT)

I am having the windmill looked at to see if it can be fixed and having one of the other wells with the hand pump on it fixed so there is water on the property with out electricity.

I decided not to ask any more questions about adding anything else when I said well I could just fix up dad's house and she said only if the remodel cost is less than 50% of the house value.

seems like they do not want me or anyone else there.

stupid.

I asked what would be the trouble if a camper or van was parked there and someone was living in it.  She said as long as the camper had current tags and could be moved if a flood warning came it would be no trouble.

I only pay a little over $200 a year for property tax there and have people wanting to buy the place because it has water; however I think it would be nice if I could get it situated as a camp ground of some kind, pay the taxes and extra if possible.

basically by putting a new roof on any building on the property the new gov rules makes it doubling the value.
She did tell me it would be nice if some of the weeds were cut down, I asked if there were any rules about that, she said there were not.

they want it cleaned up, but I can't make it nice!

anyway all is good
~C

My first thought are it's in BF Egypt and who wants to spent 6 months there?

Secound thought is how far away is the nearest legal weed retail operation in Colorado?

Third thought depends on the answer to the second thought LOL

Sounds like a plan!

The one thing I noticed is that you used the word 'remodel' with them! That's what resulted in the 'no more than 50% of value problem.

The word you want to use is 'repair' not 'remodel'. There's a difference, a big honking difference!

We have the same problem with building codes here. I met one guy when I had my real estate license who had a really old run down home on the lake. He repaired everything. First the foundation posts were replaced. Then the floor beams and the floor boards. Then he repaired the roof. Now that he had it level, safe to walk around in and dry he went to work on the walls. By gutting them from the inside he insulated, then added vapor barrier and new drywall. Finally the outside was done in vinyl siding. And of course all the plumbing and electrical was done.

In the end the only part of the original house that remained was the massive stone fireplace.

He remodeled nothing, he repaired everything.

Had he demolished the old house he would never have gotten a building permit to put another house on the property because it was now too close to the lake according to the newest rules and regulations. The old building was grandfathered in.

I did the same thing with a garage at the last S&B I owned. It was a foot from the property line. Had I tried to rip it down I wouldn't be able to put another one in it's place but by fixing one wall at a time and then the roof all I was doing was repairing the existing structure.

sounds like a little slice of heaven. good luck with your recovery. highdesertranger

maybe I should just sell it and let someone run goats on it instead of fighting against zoning to get a place for a rv park

Would upgrading the electric service and leveling a few spots put you at odds with the County? There should be a way to make a bit of cash and have a place to live while you recover.

Old neighbor of mine got into a similar deal, if you go too far (50%) the whole house "has" to be bought up to new standards. He had to do plumbing , electrical HVAC. Roof plus plus.... He wasn't happy.

Think I'd keep the "campground" on the DL. Just a friend staying for a visit. Nothing to see here!

For the $200/year it costs you I wouldn't get rid of any property, especially not one with family history.

I would just operate it as you like. You even have confirmation no one would make trouble about an RV if tags are current and the vehicle can move. Don't install sewage holding facilities. Just run a parking operation...

Well, my thought would be to sell it and use the money to buy land someplace where they still remember what the word "freedom" means, maybe Wyoming or Montana.  But I understand there may be reasons why that doesn't work for you.

Regards
John

If I had 10 acre with water and power for 200 per year I would think twice. Having found that too much information given can hear the rusty hinges of the county tax box slowly opening .
Apply a noyb attitude and go about your business.

I can't tell if you are thinking about a commercial endeavor.

If that's the case, I'd definitely rethink it. That would involve way more city/town/county codes and departments than I'd want to deal with. And then there's the insurance.

that's my cousin over there in that rv, and that's my other cousin over there in that other rv. I have lots of cousins. they are just passing though and stopped by to say hi. I mean really, is the county/city going to hassle you over a few rvs. just as long as it doesn't look trashy. highdesertranger

Any fenced fields? if so you can rent them out for sheep or goats, my family did that for years, easy passive income and keeps the grass short.
If you don't install a septic system how far is the nearest dump site? Or if it's to far, outhouses(pit style) are a lot less restricted and cheaper to put in than a full on septic system.

Should you try to get the septic system back alive, add the Ridex to the septic with the first few black tank dumps. It will get the old septic system back to operational by jump starting the bacteria in the tank. We did this with a septic system that had not been used in over 10 years. We also do it with campgrounds that are not often used.

trouble resolved, my mother and my brother bought me out, I have access to park any time I want.
my step dad is clever and said we will just blend into the background and not ask any more questions or draw any more attention, we will repair but never "upgrade or Remodel"

this gives me money to use while healing up and this is still in the family and everyone is very happy.

thanks for all of the great comments.
things are really looking good for me now.

Great solution. Best wishes for your rehab.

Peace of mind is good for healing the body!!

Now you just need some laughter--better rent some good comedies with a little of that money!
Bob

Nice way to resolve your dilemma.

Now you can get on with the rest of your story.

One of my fave ways to laugh is pirate jokes.......................I know them alllllllllllllllll.

What do you get when you cross a pirate with a zucchini???????????????

A squashbuckler !

Is there a time limit for the 50% of value rule applying? If not, you improve or repair it to the 50% this month, done. Then again next month to the 50%, then again and again. Each time you complied with the law. If their statute does not say within such and such time period, their law has no teeth.

My home was built before building codes were issued. It was built in 1995, and the first permits here were issued in 1997. Under my local laws, if I build off of an existing wall, I don't need a permit. I still have to pay property taxes on the addition, but no permit fees. It kind of makes sense. If the rest of the house is not "certified" to be built safe, what is the purpose behind certifying an additional room. You may have the same deal. If not, ask them for the original building inspection. If they don't have it, how do they know what is inside?

I live in a hundred year flood zone I don't think that being in a flood zone has anything to do with if you can put in a septic system. The Federal Government can't tell you you can't build because of a flood zone as far as I know. They can only advise you that it is a hazard. Half of the country is in a flood zone. The county has regulations I am certain. In my county septic and well systems go through the health department. Maybe contact them directly and find out about this supposed Federal Regulation. Ask what is the exact number of the the Federal Statute that they are referring to. If they balk, there is none. If they give you a number look it up yourself and read it. I seriously doubt it exists.

Opening a commercial RV park is a separate issue from home repair. Ask about zoning requirements. Where I am the rules are you have to have a minimum of 5 acres, and you have to have a commercial rated septic system, and you need a business license.