My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very few people in power care about "solving" the homeless / housing crises.

They just want to discourage them from staying, move them on down the road to other jurisdictions.

Nothing new here. While Walmart corporate policy has always been, and still is, to allow campers and RVs to overnight in their lots, it has always been up to the discretion of the individual store manager. Sadly, there are ALWAYS shitheads who do stupid things like panhandle all the customers or dump their trash or pee bottle onto the lot or make the parking lot their permanent home--leading some Walmarts to kick their ass out and ban them. Some cities, for the same reasons, have also passed laws banning it.

It is a problem that campers have mostly brought upon themselves.

Mizzi said:
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...almart-parking-long-rvs-vans-cars/1029788001/

As the heading and above link states Homeless in RVs, vans and cars can no longer stay overnight at Walmart. It seems that the more people now deciding to join the on road gypsy life style of freedom and no baggage or constraints the more that they are going to be met with resistance, rules and regulations.

I don't know about anyone else but i can see this becoming a big problem a few years from now

Well since I live the nomadic life here in Florida for the time being... There are many Walmarts where no Rv's and overnight parking are allowed.. this of course has much to do with the Florida lifestyle. There are even specific counties where.. IF you park your rig for longer than 3 hours. You will be ticketed... This is corporate govt .. so the key is be a nomad.. I can honestly say I have found a few Walmarts where I can park over night.. I do make sure I leave nothing behind and also am sure to only stay overnight .. I usually  pick something up while I'm there as well..
I have long past the fear of going in and asking the manager if it's allowed.. 
I love living creatively...!!!

Txjaybird said:

I wonder when some town will get that law passed about what color underwear we need to wear on the different days of the week?   :D Watching that one being enforced should be entertaining at least.

Jewellann

LOL!

mkitchen said:
Mo and I lived in a converted bread van back in the 70's (called housecars back then) and we had the same issues that are occurring now.  There really isn't much in the way of places to park and live within a housecar.  My question is this; who's responsibility is it to provide a place to live for people?  In the 70's we had a heck of a time since we did not have the funds for recognized RV spots nor would they let rif-raf like us in their pristene parks.  We did find a nice beach north of Santa Cruz CA and stayed there for a few months but some of the people that moved in were bums and made such a mess that we were all thrown out.  

My understanding is that this forum is for people who choose to live cheaply and be mobile.  If you are in a van or RV because you have no other choices, than that is a totally different situation than living simply within a van by choice.  Not an easy solution.

I wish I knew of an answer but there does not seem to be an easy asnwer to this issue.

It’s a really interesting and important question that will only grow in relevance over the coming years, decades, etc. We are so dedicated in this country to capitalism, pioneer spirit, bootstraps, the idea that any obstacle can be overcome with hard work...basically earning your right to exist. If for some reason you can’t or don’t want to participate in that system, the attitude of so many is “well I guess you are SOL.”

I’m intrigued by countries that are experimenting with or looking into the idea of basic income for everyone, though the US is probably way way too big to make that work and also there would be philosophical objections to it based on our attachment to the above ideas. Anyway, yeah, that question of whose job is it to ensure people have housing is always ripe for the asking. And then what qualifies as “housing” and how much freedom do we *really* have to do opt out of the accepted structures...

I need more coffee.

saracatherine said:
I’m intrigued by countries that are experimenting with or looking into the idea of basic income for everyone, though the US is probably way way too big to make that work and also there would be philosophical objections to it based on our attachment to the above ideas. 

As an aside, this was proposed by Richard Nixon, of all people, back in the 70's. 

Alas, in our current political atmosphere, it would be simply impossible.

lenny flank said:
As an aside, this was proposed by Richard Nixon, of all people, back in the 70's. 

Alas, in our current political atmosphere, it would be simply impossible.

If it takes the place of Welfare and Food Stamps maybe it should be looked at....

It is being looked at. Not a magic bullet.

My big problem with it is it goes to those that are well off, so the amounts to make it feasible don't cover the poorest needs.

a living minimum wage, health care, housing and quality education need to be there as a means tested foundation, UBI is then great to take away the need to work out of desperation.

As lower and lower percentages of the population are required for a thriving more automated economy, we do need to radically change our thinking at a fundamental level, or we're headed for extreme dystopia.

John61CT said:
As lower and lower percentages of the population are required for a thriving more automated economy, we do need to radically change our thinking at a fundamental level, or we're headed for extreme dystopia.

Yep. An economy in which people's living is dependent upon a job is simply unworkable when automation and workplace changes remove most of the jobs. Like it or not, we will be forced to move to an economy where "income" and "job" are no longer linked, and most people not only WON'T work for a living, but CAN'T. Ever.

Those transitions have happened before. The US economy used to be 80% agricultural--now we produce more food using only 5% of the population. Then we became 80% industrial--and now we produce more GNP using less than 20% of the population. So we became a service economy--and now that is in the process of being automated and mechanized as well. And there's nothing on the horizon to replace it.

It will change everything. The biggest challenge facing society will then be how to efficiently and effectively distribute a sufficient means of living to the large majority of their population who not only do NOT have a job, but never WILL have a job. 

All of our old political ideologies will become irrelevant and disappear. For many people, that will be a very difficult reality to accept.

Or voters keep getting brainwashed with social darwinist bootstrap bs, and tptb cut down on this human rights nonsense, now they can rely on universal surveillance, mass incarceration and their violent police state apparatus to keep the precariat from violently rising up, probably indefinitely.

John61CT said:
Or voters keep getting brainwashed with social darwinist bootstrap bs, and tptb cut down on this human rights nonsense, now they can rely on universal surveillance,  mass incarceration and their violent police state apparatus to keep the precariat from violently rising up, probably indefinitely.

If you look at the third world countries like Africa, India, Asia and the middle east you will know that that is how America, Briton, Australia, Canada, New Zealand,  and the rest of the world is headed. We will all eventually be governed by a police state dictatorship. There will be a vast gap between the rich and the poor with the poor out numbering the rich. Most humans will be out of work due to the number of machines taking over our jobs. Our only source of income would be governmental handouts. The people will no longer be able to chose their government officials nor will the be working for the people by the people.

It's like the old saying goes if you want to know what is happening always follow the money and in our situation there is no money as everything is now being digitized to control the money. Once we have a complete compliance world wide to go digital and once all our information goes central and global then you can be sure that all our freedoms and liberties will be taken away from us and that whom ever is making the change to the global economy will be controlling the global population. For me this is a vary scary thing to contemplate.

John61CT said:
Or voters keep getting brainwashed with social darwinist bootstrap bs, and tptb cut down on this human rights nonsense, now they can rely on universal surveillance,  mass incarceration and their violent police state apparatus to keep the precariat from violently rising up, probably indefinitely.

That has been the dream of every dictatorship in history.

It has always failed. Always.

Mizzi said:
I know that the American economy is supposed to be picking up as far as job creation and lower taxes which is supposed to mean more money in ones pockets but sadly when this happens then rents go up, utilities go up and so does petrol and food prices which in turn will create more homelessness and more influx of people living on the road to try and cope.

That’s not how economics works- you’re missing the actual cause of increased prices.

Increases in living expenses such as rent or food come as a result of deficit spending— eg monetary inflation. When the government is printing dollars faster than the rate of economic growth, costs go up faster than paychecks. This happens because the government floods the economy with money, making politically connected people rich, and that money devalues the dollar.

On the other hand, when the economy is growing, and the government isn’t growing even faster, then paychecks go up faster than costs and companies hire every warm body they can in order to keep up with the demand.

Homelessness is a direct result of overspending by government.

This isn’t politics, it’s economics. It doesn’t matter who is in power. If they are printing money too fast, people suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices are set by supply/demand. "Supply" and "demand" have nothing to do with government spending.

Sorry. That isn't "economics", it's "politics". And it's mistaken.

As a historical aside, the times when the US had its most rapid economic growth ever (in the 60's and in the 90s) were times of massive deficit spending. That is also true of other nations like England, France, Germany and China.

lenny flank said:
Prices are set by supply/demand. "Supply" and "demand" have nothing to do with government spending.

Sorry. That isn't "economics", it's "politics". And it's mistaken.

As a historical aside, the times when the US had its most rapid economic growth ever (in the 60's and in the 90s) were times of massive deficit spending. That is also true of other nations like England, France, Germany and China.

Lets keep the subject matter to RV'ing please!

Netter said:
Lets keep the subject matter to RV'ing please!

I believe I just said that.......   ;)

It does always amuse me though how many people here start off with "This isn't politics..." or "Not to get all political..."----and then go on to preach their particular political opinions.

The good thing, though, is that nobody here actually gives a shit about anyone else's political opinions anyway.  So mostly it's a waste of electrons. (shrug)

lenny flank said:
I believe I just said that.......   ;)

It does always amuse me though how many people here start off with "This isn't politics..." or "Not to get all political..."----and then go on to preach their particular political opinions.

The good thing, though, is that nobody here actually gives a shit about anyone else's political opinions anyway.  So mostly it's a waste of electrons. (shrug)

Politics, Religion, Economics, although they are always taboo subjects and most often they stir up trouble amongst the diehards it's always nice to hear everyones opinions on the subjects as it give me a whole other perspective as to what others see and understand. It's more enjoyable in a nice and friendly setting where everyone can be adult about it. Just my two cents.

Mizzi said:
Politics, Religion, Economics, although they are always taboo subjects and most often they stir up trouble amongst the diehards it's always nice to hear everyones opinions on the subjects as it give me a whole other perspective as to what others see and understand. It's more enjoyable in a nice and friendly setting where everyone can be adult about it. Just my two cents.

My view is that, particularly in our rather silly hyperpartisan times, all it does is cause unnecessary rancor. 

Alas, for some people, their political/religious/economic opinions are The Most Important Thing Ever(tm)(c), and they never miss an opportunity to regale everyone around them with it--despite the fact that nobody gives a shit.

The mods sensibly keep it out of here (mostly) because it serves no good purpose and inevitably leads to emotion-based and irrational spite, hatred and resentment. Too many people simply can't disagree (or be disagreed with) without becoming disagreeable.