My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mantra has long been I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. There have been occasions when I was glad I did have it like the snatch strap that I thought I might need someday. Saved a big tow bill by having it. Hence I carry waaay to much stuff around with me but I have it!

Rachel walking the dogs past our trailer.  We just finished removing all of the wood from inside.  We're going to wait for the weather to get better ... warmer ... before we start installing the the insulation and wiring.
26727721348_69325f52ed_z.jpg

The basic floor plan ...
40557139972_06c9b24fa3_z.jpg

- Toilet with black tank up front, storage to each side.
 - Sleeping pods will tilt out from the exterior sides of the trailer (see top of image)
 - Cabinets and drawers floor to ceiling on both sides of a 30" isle
 - Entry to the sleeping pods through 22" X 30" portals above the desk areas
 - Sleeping pod walls will be constructed out of 1" foam insulation and 1/8" plywood, then bolted in place at camp.  Walls stored in the isle for transit.
 - Still sorting out my thinking, but this is the least nebulous visualization to date ...
 - Your thoughts are welcome ... :)

Just a quick slideshow of some photos taken at my dad's house of the demolition of the trailer's interior and my thoughts on papaer about where I want to go with the build...

About 1 minute ...

Your dad's yard is a gorgeous view of Nature & obviously well respected by dad.

If you look at any RV supplier on line you will find toilets that are real low to the ground. They are made to sit on top of a black tank that’s inside the RV. I grabbed this pic from the web so you can see what I’m referring to.

1fd60a3321805341c1dac1d0a7251eb4.jpg

Both the rangers at the LTVA and the camp hosts were fine with it when one of our group told them they had a composting toilet.

Also got by parking far from the toilets by the vans saying they were using the facilities of the RV members that were in our group.

Hope this helps.

And Goodwill said:
Your dad's yard is a gorgeous view of Nature & obviously well respected by dad.

Aye, it is a beautiful place.  I love the vibe that this place will build into our new home ... and into us.  Dad is indeed a deep felt nature lover.  I've never met an animal that didn't love him.  He's a rare and talented man!  :)

I'm going to be head down working on the conversion the next couple of weeks, so my posts might be fewer and further in between (...and the mods go "yeeay!").  But, here's another shot of my dad's backyard before I get busy ...
40599552131_3e93bea754_z.jpg

PS: It is sunny today in Bluejay, and expected to continue to warm up through the week!  WOOHOO! :)

I just finished calculating the tilt out area and with them in "camp" mode, folded out,. It will add about 60 square feed to the trailer's original 72. I sure hope my tilt out plans live up to my expectations. Having nearly double the space is going to make a huge difference in our living comfort and not add a lot of additional weight.

we can understand not posting as often, but we still need pics of the build out. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
we can understand not posting as often,  but we still need pics of the build out.  highdesertranger

Yep. will do.  Starting on the insulation tomorrow ... I'll take pics all along the process ... just might be a few days until I can post them.  :)

NoMad, 
Good for you. You're gonna be busy. Come back now, ya hear? 
I've decided not to post any pics. Tis kind of like taking unknowns for an anytime public walk through your home/bedroom. I'm fairly private so I'll wait for that if I ever sell, not too likely though.

Hey Mad x2, that was me at the flea market that said hello! Glad you made it! Good luck on the build, I’m glad you waited for the solar until you have your interior plans ironed out, should be easier. Maybe will see you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Goodwill said:
1 - Come back now, ya hear? 
2 - I'm fairly private ...

1 - Yep, I'll be here ... just a little less multimedia and a little less often.  :)

2 - Yah, I am too [private, reclusive] ... but something about what I am doing seems worth sharing [for my own record, for updates to my family,  for sharing my path with others on a similar one, and ... ?], so I am stepping out of my comfort zone.  I totally respect that folks want their privacy, and aggressively support the protection of it.  I just had a crazy moment and let my personal Pandora out of the box.  Even then, I am still thoughtful about what I share, and suffer cringes every once in a while when I review things I've posted.

I won't do regrets but I will make quick changes and move gracefully past and without criticisms for others who are on their rightful path, their's is not for me to decide. Foresight vs hindsight. Each one, teach 1; teach & help 10 if you can. That is my philosophy and to try to do it in a kind supportive way which is my way of holding high regard for myself & toward others, until I can't. I've cringed slightly, from what I've seen, read, heard & experienced of some, but they are the 5%'ers. Pffftt!