My new plan for an indoor cooktop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crofter said:
I want to team up an old fashioned electric frypan with a solar setup.  I have also been told that it will require some huge amount of watts.  I have a couple wattages of frypans to experiment with: one is 300 watts and one is 1200 watts. I have never used the big one on anything more than simmer for cooking, so I think that one will also draw much less that the listed 1200 watts for the way I cook. 

Electric fry pans have a watt rating.  They have a thermostat that turns them on and off to maintain the desired temperature.  When they are on they use the rated watts.  A 1200 watt frypan set to only 250 degrees will still need 1200 watts.  A 600 watt inverter won't work.

sounds like you have the wrong stove. my old Coleman did the same thing it was all or nothing seemed like. but my Camp Chef stove/oven combo, simmers real nice. highdesertranger

Use of microwave v cooking pan. My microwave uses 150 amps from the battery while it is running. I expect the same from the fry pan. But the microwave only runs for a few minutes, about 6 for frozen vegetables. How long does it take to cook a stew in the electric fry pan?

crofter said:
I ruin food on a propane stove, and I like the slower way of cooking in the electric fry pan. I can get meats really tender and other things -like toasted cinnamon rolls- just right. 

My coleman two burner is a good stove, but runs hot, and there is no way to simmer anything.

You just need a better gas cooker, I agree a super fine-control "simmer" low heat is essential.

Also is what allows it to be used as a space heater with a big thermal mass above.

Cracking a window, LPG/CO alarm and never while sleeping of course.

Using 12V electric to produce heat is just crazy wasteful.

highdesertranger said:
sounds like you have the wrong stove.  my old Coleman did the same thing it was all or nothing seemed like.  but my Camp Chef stove/oven combo, simmers real nice.  highdesertranger

Gets almost 5 stars at Walmart and there's already cinnamon buns in it! 

[font=BogleWeb,]Camp Chef Outdoor 2-Burner Range with Oven[/font]
[font=BogleWeb,]Average rating:4.8261out of5stars, based on23reviews[size=small]23 reviews
Camp Chef
Walmart # 556091239
[/font][/size]

[font=BogleWeb,][size=large]$168.47
[/font][/size]

John61CT said:
Also is what allows it to be used as a space heater with a big thermal mass above.

OK the range is on the way, and now I still have a use for my propane bottle.  I suppose it would be unsafe to box in the propane bottle and mount the stove on top of it. I'm putting it by the slide door so I can just reach over there and get a taste while i'm in my bunk.

What type of thermal mass though ??  Bricks?

Bricks on the ceiling ?? 

And if I no longer need a huge solar setup on the roof, I'm still under $750 on my van build. ($467 so far)       ~ crofter

Zil said:
How long does it take to cook a stew in the electric fry pan?

Well now I'm switching back to gas for this build, but with a better stove (& oven!!) And yes it takes quite a while to slow cook meat in the electric fry pan, to get it tender. Usually an hour, depending on the cut.

But I reserve the right to continue my experiments with electric fry pans and 12v power. & I promise to have a fuse in the circuit.   ~crofter

yeah the Camp Chef has real gas valves in it. the Coleman has phony O-ring sealed gas valves. the problem I had with the Coleman is the O-rings acted like a rubber band and as you turned down the valve as soon as you let go the valve would want to move back to the higher setting.

what's nice about the Coleman valves is the O-ring are easy to replace and available at most of your better auto parts stores. I know because I replace them often enough.

that's not saying that I haven't had problems with the Camp Chef valves, I have. their valves are non-serviceable and you must buy a new valve. I have gone around and around with Camp Chef in the past as I have had to replace 2 valves. in the past their quality control in China was very poor to say the least, but in the end I have been able to fix it. one time they had to send me 3 valves to get it fixed one did not have the screw holes threaded and another was in the wrong box. the part number on the box was right but the valve inside was wrong.

highdesertranger

for thermal mass a piece of metal about 6x6 inches square and at least 1/4 inches thick, 3/8 is better. aluminum or steel. one of those thermal fans on top and you are in like Flynn. highdesertranger

Hope I get a good one! 

What do you think of my idea mounting the range on top of a cabinet housing the propane bottle?  Too close to the fire, or OK?

My hose is long enough to put the bottle in the back, but not convenient enough to turn the bottle off between uses (I do). ~crofter

highdesertranger said:
for thermal mass a piece of metal about 6x6 inches square and at least 1/4 inches thick,  3/8 is better.  aluminum or steel.  one of those thermal fans on top and you are in like Flynn.  highdesertranger

Oh, one of these~

View attachment 20541                                                                                    View attachment 20542

• No BATTERIES OR ELECTRICITY REQUIRED--The stove fan uses heat from the stove surface to spin,adjust its speed automatically with the stove surface temperature.The recommended temperature is 185F - 660F (85C - 350C).

IMO I would say ok as long as you have some kind of thermal break like a counter top, which it sounds like you have.

yes on those fans.

highdesertranger

crofter said:
What type of thermal mass though ??
a big cast iron pan or pot will do nicely.

I make large pots

chili, stew, curry, soup / stock, red sauce etc just get better and better if you can keep it going for hours, makes for a very toasty living space with minimal propane use, turn off for half hour at a time makes no difference, even with a lightweight pot, fact it's full of liquid makes for plenty of thermal buffering.

Cautions as noted above.

crofter said:
my experiments with electric fry pans and 12v power.
Once you get past 1000-1400W of solar then you have enough to spare.

Actually very sensible once the bank is at 85-90% Full, if you have enough "excess" solar it can run the cooker **and** continue the long tail Absorb charge.

But that means you time your electric usage according to your battery monitoring.

Producing heat from the bank, or preventing it recharging, is what you want to avoid.

Propane drops to the floor as it is heavier than air. It can accumulate in a low unvented space. Be careful with venting and you will have few problems. Do Not seal the cabinet holding the propane.

ChezCheese:-) said:
 I suppose we could get one of those butane stoves 

Those butane stoves work really well at heating the water for morning coffee, even in the van on cold mornings. They are light weight and simple plus they do make them with hoses so you can use propane.

John61CT said:

My van is not big enough to mount that much on the roof. I was planning on 400w max of solar. Thanks for the heads up. ~crofter

John61CT said:
And then you have, say what, 1000 Amp-Hr of batteries weighing, say what, 800 or 900 pounds? Or something in that weight range? Ooof.

Weight said:
Propane drops to the floor as it is heavier than air. It can accumulate in a low unvented space. Be careful with venting and you will have few problems. Do Not seal the cabinet holding the propane.

Thanks for the info! The stove is here and is a beauty!! Footprint is about 12" X 20".
It sounds like it will be advisable to have the slide door open when I am cooking due to gas fumes and needing fresh air in there. Other option being the two fans up top for good air flow. 
I will plan to have some venting low down.  I have heard of drilling a hole in the bottom of the propane cabinet - through the floor and to the outside. Is that really necessary?  Has that question already been asked on here someplace?
Even with the door open it should still throw plenty heat when using the oven in winter. Once it heats things up, it will continue to radiate after the stove is off. ~crofter