My new plan for an indoor cooktop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChezCheese:-) said:
Commercial, factory laid eggs which are stored in cold storage are, by USDA regulation, safe to sell/eat for 365 days.
I prefer my eggs as fresh as possible, except when I plan to make hard-boiled.  Older ones peel better.
When I can't get eggs from my daughter, I buy free-range eggs at the market.  Beautiful brown eggs in clear cartons.  The bright yokes prove they're free-range.  But I keep my eggs in the fridge for weeks with no problems.

I miss having my own chickens.  I had Buff Orpingtons known to be calm.  They produced eggs almost year round.

QinReno said:
Yeah, I believe pressure reduction is the reason, prevent the eggshells from cracking. Funny that you can boil eggs without the shells cracking, but steaming is different. I did like it how it was so easy to make the eggs just how I like them, can never get them just right when boiling. I'll go get some more eggs and play some more.
Follow up on the egg cooker. I bought some more eggs and have been experimenting. I like it quite a lot. You can cook the eggs medium, medium well, or well-done, depending on how much water you add to the unit. They have it down to a simple algorithm, using a calibrated water measuring cup. 

I've tried with and without poking holes in the shell. Out of 6 eggs so far, I've only had one shell crack that hadn't been pin-holed beforehand.

QinReno said:
I've tried with and without poking holes in the shell. Out of 6 eggs so far, I've only had one shell crack that hadn't been pin-holed beforehand.

Have you tried to steam anything in the top area?  Also, the non-pierced egg that cracked, were you cooking it the least amount or most amount of time?

The steamer sounds fantastic, and I'll get one eventually.

max+sophia said:
Have you tried to steam anything in the top area?  Also, the non-pierced egg that cracked, were you cooking it the least amount or most amount of time?

The steamer sounds fantastic, and I'll get one eventually.
So far, only tried the bottom shelf, and not used the height extension collar. 

The non-pinholed egg that cracked was when cooking the longest, ie well-done, which makes sense since it got the longer steam bath. In general, the eggs that *were* pinholed mostly cracked anyways, and goo ran out the top. 

It will take some time to try different variations, but so far, I am happy with the unit. It allows you to make the eggs how you like them, so nice for general home use.

I figure that before a trip I can steam up a bunch, eat the ones that cracked sooner, and take the rest along in the cooler, and save some cooking. When on a trip, I only like to cook two ways: either just boiling water or using the ceramic fry pan, which is trivial to clean. Obviously, I don't like to make my bed either, LOL.

QinReno said:
The non-pinholed egg that cracked was when cooking the longest, ie well-done, which makes sense since it got the longer steam bath. In general, the eggs that *were* pinholed mostly cracked anyways, and goo ran out the top. 

OK, important to whether I do buy the steamer,,,, does that mean the unit will not crack ANY eggs that are cooked for the least amount of time? Soft Boiled?  The oozing out the pin hole sounds like a possible mess inside the machine.

In yesterday's experiment, I tried 2 eggs each at medium (ie soft), medium-well, and well-done. No pinholes. Only the one well-done egg cracked, and then the crack wasn't even noticeable at first. Nothing oozed out, like when boiling eggs in a pot, so I figure that egg cracked only at the very end.

When you pin-hole the eggs, some goo oozes out, but quickly cooks, so you don't have goo running all over the place.

QinReno said:
In yesterday's experiment, I tried 2 eggs each at medium (ie soft), medium-well, and well-done

Your experiments say a lot about the steamer.  I'd say it's as perfect as such a product can get.

the company should pay you for this honest assessment of their product.
:D
Amd bTW, thank you so much.

max+sophia said:
He could safely cook eggs, and steam the rest of your breakfast with this <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKPBSFL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1"><b>HOMELEADER</b></a> 360 WATT Egg Boiler, and Steamer.

Hmm, I think I just sold myself a gizmo. :mad:
Follow up on the egg steamer. I love this thing, best appliance I've bought in years. Absolutely painless way to cook eggs, 1 or more. No mess, no fuss. FYI, I never use the pin that's provided for puncturing the shell, which reduces mess even further.

max+sophia

Hi Q,  I'm in a <a href="https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quandary">quandary</a>.  I love the idea of the egg plus upper steam cooker.  My problem is I no longer have the luxury of a kitchen having lost out on Greybeard, and I am now stuck with outfitting Ruby.

I will pack Ruby with a favorite pan, and likely paper dishes.  Really, if I try to steam eggs by using a strainer over boiling water, I would only be able to do that outdoors because of escaping steam for appx 9 min.

My question is... How much steam escapes from your egg steamer?  If it is far less than the double-boiler type setup I tested, it may be a mandatory gizmo to pack.  Eggs are a daily necessity IMO.  Additional question, how long does the machine run cooking 6 eggs medium done?

Thanks for your help. X
Follow up to what Sophia asked on another thread. 

If you look at the picture of the steamer on the amazon page, you can see the small hole on top where the steam escapes out of. Diameter = 5/16" or 8 mm. 9-minutes is the typical time for medium-well, then the heater senses the water is gone and shuts off. The datasheet indicates range is 6-min to 12-min, depending upon how well cooked. The calibrated cup measures the amount of water, based upon #eggs and how well to cook. More water for well-cooked.

This device is obviously specifically designed and calibrated to work as a complete "system", so would take some playing around to figure out the parameters for stove top steaming.

I have successfully hard boiled eggs by bringing them to a boil, covering them then turning the heat off and waiting 10 minutes.

becida said:
I have successfully hard boiled eggs by bringing them to a boil, covering them then turning the heat off and waiting 10 minutes.

That's that's the way I've always cooked eggs, also.  I did an experiment to steam them, by putting in a SS colander with 4 eggs and 2 servings of broccoli.  Worked like a charm.  However, I'm thinking the commercial steamer like Q has, might put out less steam.  I don't know how much steam would be removed by the solar window fan either, it's pretty small.

becida said:
You can always do it the old way. I like the steamer appliance because there is no mess and I can cook the eggs "every time" exactly how I like them - ie, 1/2 way between soft and hard. It just depends on how much water you put in the measuring cup. I can never get them right by boiling in a pot. Plus in a pot, they always crack and then I have to clean the pot. I'm obviously no cook, if an egg can defeat me so easily.

I like softer, so above but 8min.

Then straight into cool water, even ice / chilled if convenient, peel after 2-3 min.

Make a dozen at a time, rotate between three different Devilled variations, extra spicy, w/ a pickle relish, or capers