My latest and maybe my last conversion.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squatting dog2

Reaction score
I've loved buses forever. I have converted a couple of skoolie's in my time. This last bus however is going to be tough to top. I converted a 40 foot GMC parlor coach. I'm inserting a link to photo bucket that shows most of the build. Might help someone solve a problem, or show them a simple way to build something. I bought my bus for 4800 dollars. That got me a running detroit diesel fully seated coach, and by stripping and using a lot of rv parts from my water rotted rv,(Large Marge) and searching craigslist finds, I was able to build something cozy and did not break the bank.
I'm a firm believer in the KISS method (keep it simple stupid):) and I never let someone tell me it can't be done.

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/zion-dyi/library/bus?sort=6&page=1

WOW...it might not have cost you much outlay, but you spent ALOT on the time building this...the woodwork is awesome!!!

Great job!!

as T&K asked...do you live aboard this??

Welcome to the forum!

I used to drive and maintain 4905's. Great coaches. Co-drove one of two 4905s cross country from NY to LA by way of Hot Springs, AR, Grand Canyon AZ and other sites lost in my memory.

Detroit Diesel 8V71, supercharged. Kerosene (Diesel no 1) fed.

Picked one up new in Pontiac, MI from GM Coach at the factory in 1976.

Thanks for the trip back in time.

Am confused. These large bus conversions need a RV park to stay in. Or a private land set up for an RV. Not thinking you can boondock too well in them. Do I have that wrong ?

you can boondock in a tractor trailer if you plan ahead......I boondock in a class A continuously year round , its all in selecting sites and learning the areas you plan to use

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Hey, what washer and dryer are you using? Those look like they fit nice and snug in there!

Yes, we rigged our bus for full timing. we liked the spot we picked in Ar. so much, we built a house there also. We have people who rent the house when we're not there.
Wayne49, I too have always had a soft spot for the buffalo. enough so, that I don't even mind shifting that grumpy old spicer 4 speed. :D One of the reasons I didn't cap it was because I loved the vista cruise windows and the fact that it was curved rather than a flat side. The fact that I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic made the choice easier for me. I love detroit 2 strokes. :)
Offroad... you can boondock in most anything with a little planning ahead. In our case, I installed 100 gal. fresh water and grey water tanks, and 50 gal black tank. Plus, the 8 battery's and the solar panels and generator, allow us to not need a campground. Of course, you're a little limited where you can take a beast like this, but, there hasn't been any place that I wanted to be that I couldn't get to.

Kyonu, that washer dryer combo is a splendide brand. I like the fact that it was both, but, I prefer to dry the laundry out doors. much fresher smell wise. the picture at a campground shows the bay we used to make a clothes rack in.

Haha, I didn't even notice the unit in the storage bin! I was looking at the one in the kitchen. :p My bad! I'm guessing that's a dish washer?

Do you have to run #1 fuel in this?

I was in big truck transportation back in the day and I thought the big 2 strokes ran #2 fuel.

Mr.LooRead said:
Do you have to run #1 fuel in this?

I was in big truck transportation back in the day and I thought the big 2 strokes ran #2 fuel.

these old birds will run on #2 fuel. however, they will also run on #1. These are also perfect candidates for veggie conversions since they don't use any kind of electrical fuel injection. And, they're pretty much indestructible.

Thanks for sharing these.

I'm developing an appreciation for a well-designed and executed interior...

Mr.LooRead, I just re- read my answer and I didn't want you to think I was preaching to you about old Detroit's. I was posting mainly for the younger folk who have never been exposed to these old 2 strokes. :)
Sometimes, I feel like a dinosaur... Just the other day it came to me that even my youngest daughter had no idea what an 8 track player was.:rolleyes: :D