My Forester and I....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLigg13

Reaction score
Well just a little over a month before departure from the northeast to the southwest. I am about 90% ready. I have my solar setup ready, water and food storage, first aid for both the car and me, and even got a cassette toilet (I think I have put my time in using every other form off grid lavatory that I am going to afford this one comfort (?) ). My car had some work  done as well: fluids flushed, break work, and replaced my two front tires. I still need to purchase a a full size spare. She is running great.

So as a newbie to the southwest, and boondocking, I am a bit confused as to the capabilities of what my AWD can handle. I don't have all terrain tires (yet), and I don't have a raised suspension (yet). I've driven on plenty of dirt and gravel roads, but for the most part they have been maintained very well. I feel that if someone's 20+ rv can make it to a remote spot, me and my suby should too. A lot of lifes lessons are learned from trial and error. However, in this situation I feel that error might really suck. So to all of you small suv owners, what has been your experience? When do you tell yourself to turn around? FYI; I intend to be in  New Mexico by the end of the first week of February. Thanks Everyone!

don't lift it. this is coming from some one who has done hundreds if not thousands of lifts to all kinds of vehicles. I have said it many times before, do not lift an independent suspension vehicle. you can gain some ground clearance by installing taller tires. speaking of tires if you plan on driving off pavement get some LT(light truck) tires. don't use P(passenger car) rated tires. highdesertranger

They make Air Suspension System for Subaru Forester, but it is expensive. It uses air bags instead of coil springs like the Lincoln Town Car and Semi-tractor trailer trucks.

on a straight non-turning axle air bags can work because raising and lowering does not effect the steering geometry. most Semi's only use air bags on non turning axles. they make them for semi steering axles I am not sure how they work I have never seen one. maybe one of the truckers here will chime in. on an independent suspension you would need a computer to control the steering geometry or it will always be out of wack, this makes it a very complicated and very difficult system which makes it very expensive. highdesertranger

The most inportant piece of equipment is you and how much experience and knowledge of your vehicle you gain. At first you need to go really slow by walking and learning how much clearance your vehicle has after you have aired down your tires which makes having LT tires with additional plys to help the sidewalls survive important. Stacking rocks is an art as well as getting them to stay where they need to be. I can not tell you how much respect I have for the older experienced drivers in their stock family cars I have met at some of the remote fishing holes I was barely able to get to after helping the other ranger 4x4 vehicles get unstuck that were trying to check on them only to find they extended their stay cause the fishing was good. Most times it is a case of just knowing where to put the tires on the trail to get where you want to go. Most modifications are just to make up for the lack of ability of the driver or torn up trails caused by ignorant people with highly modified vehicles.

Couldn't help but notice this morning that parked outside my little shanty are three pristine Wranglers, a Landrover, and my subaru...

Anyway, gotta a question about tire size. Currently the tire size on my car is 225/55/17. From what I read, if I so choose, I can go up in tire size, but it is only recommended only going up in size by one. So does this mean, I can do 235/ /17? I ask because it seems there are a lot more options for LT tires once I go up to 235.

a reputable tire store or a dealer will be able to tell you exactly what the largest tire is. I would ask a dealer because a taller or shorter tire is going to effect the computer and the speedometer. just so you know. highdesertranger

I recommend King Springs and control arms for Subarus:

Subie2.jpg

Subie.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you these Subaru's  aren't for off roading, my favorite past-time is putting Jeeps to shame!!

12" of ground clearance is NO joke.

Attachments

• Subie2.jpg
    Subie2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Subie.jpg
    Subie.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 19