My first van purchase...please help!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmlask

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks to this forum, I've decided to purchase a Chevy Express (extended) cargo van, at least 2500, V8, at least 4.8L.  Preferably 1998 or newer, ideally 2010 or newer (for the 6 speed).  I was shooting for around 100,000 miles for around $5000.  Is this realistic?  What is the life expectancy (# of miles) of this type of rig?

As a single woman, I have been cheated (royally) once before and I'm not looking forward to repeating the experience.  Regardless of what I buy, I will insist on getting it inspected by a neutral 3rd party dealership, even if I purchase the van from a dealership.

I've found one I'm interested in.  [font=arial, sans-serif]https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/2000-chevy-extended-express/6251210258.html  [/font](If you'd care to take a peek.)  It is everything I want for $4000 firm.  The ad gives a lot of details and a pretty exhaustive history.  The problem is, it has 228,000 miles on it.  However, the transmission is brand new ("reconditioned") with only 4000 miles.  Is this a good deal?  My son says no, because the engine still has 200K miles, even if the tranny doesn't.  Plus, the tranny is "reconditioned" not "new".  (Which could mean a number of things.)

The other draw back - I had wanted to purchase a hollow shell.  This one would take a lot of work to tear everything out before I could even start on the fun stuff.  But that would be worth it if the deal is right.  (Plus, my son thinks that tearing all that out IS the fun part!)

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

personally I would stick to your original thoughts on miles, around 100,000.
typically 250,000 is an expected life span on motors these days. of course some are shorter and some are longer.
good luck on your search.

Do you have enough money to replace the engine and all the other parts that will fail? I just got a van, too, but I went with a newer one. I decided with the help of many in this forum that I definitely wanted something with fewer than 80,000 miles and maybe even fewer than 40,000. I went with a much newer one, financed it with a trade in, and hope to pay it off in the next couple of years. Get as few miles as you can possibly afford because otherwise you will have repair costs. Good luck!

227,000 miles is getting deep into that engine's senior years....It might go 100,000 more miles, or it might not.

I'm a little bit puzzled why they would spend $2000 on the van and then sell it very soon after...maybe some other problem has cropped up and they decided to simply 'cut their losses'...

Normally if you drop another transmission in you would do it with the intention of driving it at least a few more years.

If you have some money bank for future issues, go for it. Good idea on 3rd party inspection.

In a perfect world, have an engine oil sample tested (sent out for results). In fact, if I was selling a high mileage vehicle, I would have this done prior to selling for buyer peace of mind.

There are lots of parts that can be worn out at over 200,000 miles of use. You need to have them all checked or be prepared to pay to have them replaced.

Walk away from it. 200k+ miles is bad.
Second and biggest red flag to me: "It has a brand new (reconditioned) transmission in it with less then 4,000 miles on it. That alone was $2,000 to install."
Why would anyone spend money on a new transmission, that is working perfectly, to turn around and sell it.
There are probably other hidden problems that the seller doesn't want to deal with.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. Based on your advice, I decided to let this one go.
What are the maximum number of miles I should look for? Is 100,000 still a good target?

You can find cheap vans that have well under 100k...it may just take some time.

I was about to say.. I bought my fully equipped class-B RV with most of the bells and whistles and only 98,000 miles on it for slightly less then that van...

Hey tv, here is a craigslist search tool you can use:

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

I dont know where you are located but you can bring that up and type in search terms like:

seattle express passenger van

or

arizona ford econoline cargo van

or

class b camper van low miles

or

2010 hightop cargo van

Whatever....

Put what you are looking for in the box and see what pops up...you never know...

tvmlask said:
Thank you everyone.  Based on your advice, I decided to let this one go.  
What are the maximum number of miles I should look for?  Is 100,000 still a good target?

I personally would aim at a target max of 100,000 miles.  When I bought my van 2 1/2 years ago that was mileage target.  It did take me awhile of hard looking, but I finally found a van that had 86K on it and it was still the original owner.  I have full timed in this van ever since and it was just recently that I had to do anything to it. 

That van was a fully loaded conversion van, but I built cabinets around it and removed the two rear captains chairs.  It has worked fine for me though I have to sleep on the rear bench seat at night. 

I am actually considering a used cargo van now that I can do the complete build out on and am shopping hard on the net.  I would suggest that you do the same even if the listings are not in your area.  This will give you a good idea of what is out there and what they are selling for. 

What you are looking for is reasonable and you can find it, you will just need to be patient.

It all depends on your budget and how are going to be using the van.
Small trips around town, or are you planning on going cross country.
If you rush, you will probably make a mistake when buying.
Take time to learn about how to inspect used cars. You will surprise yourself on how much more knowledgeable you become as the weeks and months go by.
Better to let a good one slip by than to buy a bad one.

CautionToTheWind said:
Are you going full time? How much do you have to spend? And how much backup money for emergencies (if full time)?

EDIT: This thread might/might not help: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-What-would-you-get-for-5000?pid=313464#pid313464

I read through this.  Toward the end it seemed he was leaning toward a camper over a pick up.  I did find some useful info tho so thank you!!

Not going full time yet.  Right now that's just a dream.  For now, I plan to use it to get away every week-end and then when my youngest son is older, we'll do a US History tour.

My target budget for the actual purchase is $5000.  Then another $5000 for the conversion.  (I'm going to do all the work myself.)   I'd like to not go higher then $10k for the total.  I promised my oldest son I'd help him buy his first house when he turns 18 next month.  He's starting to panic that I'm going to spend all my money on this van project before he gets his house.  :)

I have been completely debt free for the past 3 years and plan to keep it that way.  So getting a loan to purchase the van is not an option for me.  But sheesh, all I'm seeing for $5000 has a lot of miles on it (around 200k) or it doesn't have the perfect combination of what I'm looking for.

oricha1984 said:
Better to let a good one slip by than to buy a bad one.

Ain't that the truth!!  Good advice.  Thank you for the reminder.

tx2sturgis said:
Hey tv, here is a craigslist search tool you can use:

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

I dont know where you are located but you can bring that up and type in search terms like:

Put what you are looking for in the box and see what pops up...you never know...

I didn't know you could do that!  Nice to know.  I did try it and unfortunately, I didn't see anything I hadn't already seen in my area searches.  But what's nice about it is the "one stop shopping".  Doing area searches within a 10 hr drive radius was getting tedious!  (My Wyoming upbringing just poked it's head through.  We measure distance by hours rather than miles.  Ha!)

steamjam1 said:
I was about to say.. I bought my fully equipped class-B RV with most of the bells and whistles and only 98,000 miles on it for slightly less then that van...

Wow, really???  Am I just looking in the wrong place?  I live in Salem, Oregon and have been trying to stay within a 10 hr drive radius.  Is this just unrealistic?  There just doesn't seem to be anything in my area.   So far, I've only looked at one in person.  The rest have been Craigslist and Google searches.   I'm going to Portland today to look at a couple of dealer lots that supposedly specialize in commercial vehicles.  I can't say I'm looking forward to it.  Salesmen tend to look at me like I'm easy pickins.  The one I looked at was here in town on a used car lot.  The ad didn't have the miles so I stopped in to ask.  The salesman acted like I was stupid for thinking 200k was high.. "especially for a 15 yr old van".

What type of conversion do you plan to spend $5000 on? That seems pretty high and maybe budgeting $7000 or more for the van and less on the conversion could get you a better, lower mileage van.

tvmlask said:
 The salesman acted like I was stupid for thinking 200k was high.. "especially for a 15 yr old van".

The first thing the salesman wants to know is how much money do you want to spend, and they will steer you towards whatever they have in that range, or just above it.

To get the upper hand, try this: walk in confidently and just ask: How many vans do have that are between 80,000 and 120,000 miles...or whatever your number is. Show me those. He might have an idea...or he may have to 'hunt'...thats OK...he's working for YOU now.

Don't mention price range. If he asks, just tell him that right now you're open on price, but need to find something affordable and reasonable number of miles.

Now the salesman begins to be on YOUR side...find the best priced vehicle in that mileage range. Instead of the lowest quality ride you will fall for. When you have a target vehicle, bend down before you even open the door and look for recent oily drips and rust on the frame. Light surface discoloration is acceptable, but flaking slivers of rust means you walk. And please don't wear a dress or skirt...wear pants or jeans so you can look under the vehicle.

If he misses the mark, either high or low, you can try again, and say, no thats not what I'm looking for....anything else? Again, avoid talking money at this point..if he asks, tell him politely without irritation: "Sir, (or Ma'am), as I said, I'm looking for something affordable but also lower in mileage". It's NOT an interview, you don't have to answer questions. HE is there to answer questions, YOU are there to ASK them...this is a business deal...the person spending the money ALWAYS asks the questions.

If by the third or fourth van he hasn't shown you something you find acceptable for the price, then thank him for his time, ask for his card, shake his hand,  and begin to walk away...but...be ready for him to say, wait...what WOULD you give for that Chevy XYZ (or whatever) we looked at?

Be confident. Its a game. Put HIM on the chase.

Try it. :D

------------------------------------------------------

For commercial vans, you can always look here to find deals on fleet vans...I did a preliminary filter for you, but you can filter the results anyway you like:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...00&zip=97303&radius=500&sort=geo_distance:asc