[split] high top companies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2honorHim

Reaction score
As of a few hours ago, I am the owner of a 2019 Chevy Express 3500 extended van with just under 36,000 miles on it.

It’s a beauty and in wonderful condition!

My plan was to purchase an older van with over 65,000 miles on it. However, the salesman pointed out that this newer model allows me to have some important safety features, such as “lane assist“ and back up cameras. safety is, of course, very important to me.

However, the icy-cold air-conditioning is designed with ductwork in the ceiling. What I purchased is a “certified previously-owned” vehicle with full protection until 100,000 miles for anything, whatsoever, that my vehicle might need.

Without even asking, I’m quite sure that having a hightop placed on my vehicle before it has reached 100,000 miles would void my comprehensive warranty.

I am also aware that having a hightop on an extended van might make it less stable on the road; therefore, perhaps it’s just as well if I do not use a high top.

I am only 5’1” tall, so not being able to stand up in what is to be my full-time RV vehicle will not be as difficult as it would be for taller people.

However, here I am at 2 o’clock in the morning, unable to sleep, newly widowed with a drastic reduction in my income, and with buyer’s remorse, because I signed the papers a few hours ago, and I’m wondering if I’ve made a mistake.

would it be wise to even consider having a hightop placed on one of these newer models that has air-conditioning in the ceiling?

it would probably be helpful to mention that I am blessed with excellent health, but I am in my early 70s.

2honorhim, welcome to the forum. My condolences for the loss of your husband.
A high top will set you back 4000 or so, so if you can, proceed without it to preserve your warranty for one, and secondly focus on paying off the vehicle before you get on the road.
Hopefully it will not be a great annoyance without the high top, as you will be outside of it quite a lot.
I have a Chevy too (older, with low miles), and I am quite short also, and it does take some getting used to.
If your income is limited, you are better off to travel without debt and with some extra money in emergency funds.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you happy travels.

Thank you for your kind words and recommendations, Sofisintown! ?

Even though I had enough money in my account to purchase the van, outright, the salesman told me that making payments for one year would build up my credit to an excellent score of 750.

Since I agreed that my credit score needs to be raised, I decided to do as he suggested; so I made a substantial down payment and have reasonable monthly payments for the next year.

Early next week, I plan to list my home with a realtor.  It will take me several months to dispose of most of my belongings and sell the house.

However, after the sale of my house, I will have A modest amount of money to add to my savings account.

my good health will allow me to work, which is something I could not do for the last several years because of my husband‘s health.

2honorHim said:
with buyer’s remorse, because I signed the papers a few hours ago, and I’m wondering if I’ve made a mistake.
Sounds like you found yourself a real  beauty. I think you will appreciate the extended length. I have a 3500 extended..but much older than yours and everyday I know I would appreciate even 2 more inches here and there.

I am 6-1 and have no hightop... sure I would like one but I get along just fine without, I even bathe in it !!!

I think your "remorse" will quickly change to excitement as you start building your van out and you wont even miss a hightop. You can always add one later if you feel  the standard height is not working well. I have been thinking of putting a hightop on my rig.. for some convenience..but mostly for resale value...LOL..priorities you know.:)

Thank you for your encouraging words!

It sounds like you are making it work – – and that probably has a lot to do with your positive attitude.

I am impressed that you even take a bath in your extended van. How do you do that?
I am impressed that you even take a bath in your extended van. How do you do that?

I am thinking that a very helpful idea for me to purchase would be a pop-up tent that I could use when I want to stand up to cook… Or simply to stretch – – especially, on rainy days.

I’ll have to go back to former posts to see which pop-up tents are recommended, but I think that would give me some flexibility that I would need.

By the way, on our options, what is a “PM notification“?

PM notification means you have a Private Message.

Up on top where you sign in or out, there is a blue button (PM) that you click and takes you to your "mailbox". There you can see a private message (not shown in the forum posts) that one of us sent you.

There is this link here https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=54
that shows how how different links work

2honorHim said:
"I am only 5’1” tall, so not being able to stand up in what is to be my full-time RV vehicle will  not be as difficult as it would be for taller people.

However, here I am at 2 o’clock in the morning, unable to sleep, newly widowed with a drastic reduction in my income, and with buyer’s remorse, because I signed the papers a few hours ago, and I’m wondering if I’ve made a mistake."

I know it's easy to get "information overload" thinking about all this, but I think you've got yourself a pretty nice sounding van. And esp. for someone of your height, I wouldn't fret about lack of a hightop. Plenty of folks travel quite comfortably in std height vans. If you want more insight in to living in a std height van, one place to check out is a Youtube channel named "Van City Van Life" run by a fellow named Chrome Valdez in British Columbia, Canada. He's entertaining, funny, and has lived in his std height Ford Econoline van for over three years.