My first van purchase...please help!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on Tx2Sturgis advice.

I went shopping for vans in jeans and carried a clipboard. I'd made up a list in advance on the computer of what to check for and made notes as the salesman showed me what he had on the lot.

I also had a piece of plastic tarp with  me so that I could lay down on the lot to check underneath.

The sales staff on the car lots were afraid of me.... :D :D :rolleyes: 

I looked like I knew what I was doing! 

Well, okay I did... :D And so do you! You know what you want, how  much you're willing to pay for it and with a little help here you know what to look for.

I've been doing the same thing this past week looking for a home for my son and soon to be wife...well except for the tarp!

You can get lost in every vehicle's amount of information on the web: most of it is a distraction. It's much easier to eliminate vehicles based on critical factors. For me it was reliability, transmissions, front ends, and soft lightweight frames. Transmissions and tires will eat your lunch, not mpg for most people. Back to back test drives are invaluable for buying any kind of vehicle.

slow2day said:
What type of conversion do you plan to spend $5000 on?  That seems pretty high and maybe budgeting $7000 or more for the van and less on the conversion could get you a better, lower mileage van.

$5000 was a shot in the dark.  I haven't actually started to price things out yet.  I just figured with all the electronics (solar panels, converter, etc.) it would cost a bit.   And I'll admit, I'm going prissy.   ;)  I love to tent camp, cook over an open fire, etc.  However, that is for short camping trips.  (a week or 2 at most)  For what I plan to do, I want some modern conveniences...like a shower in my van, with hot water.  I just guessed that with insulation, wood, and all the little things that crop up, it would be better to have the money already set aside rather than be frustrated because I've run out of funds part way through.

Soooo, what IS a realistic cost of a conversion?  (Keeping in mind, I'm doing all the work myself and trying to keep the van light by using thinner pieces of wood etc.)

breeze said:
You can get lost in every vehicle's amount of information on the web: most of it is a distraction. It's much easier to eliminate vehicles based on critical factors. For me it was reliability, transmissions, front ends, and soft lightweight frames. Transmissions and tires will eat your lunch, not mpg for most people. Back to back test drives are invaluable for buying any kind of vehicle.

Yes, I've come across this already.  3 pages of what the van has but no mention of the number of miles or the type of engine.

I'm a newbie and not very mechanically knowledgeable (yet  :rolleyes: )...what do you mean by "front end"?

What do you mean by "back to back test drives" and why is this invaluable?

Almost There said:
+1 on Tx2Sturgis advice.

I went shopping for vans in jeans and carried a clipboard. I'd made up a list in advance on the computer of what to check for and made notes as the salesman showed me what he had on the lot.

I also had a piece of plastic tarp with  me so that I could lay down on the lot to check underneath.

The sales staff on the car lots were afraid of me.... :D :D :rolleyes: 

I looked like I knew what I was doing! 

Well, okay I did... :D And so do you! You know what you want, how  much you're willing to pay for it and with a little help here you know what to look for.

I've been doing the same thing this past week looking for a home for my son and soon to be wife...well except for the tarp!

Funny and helpful at the same time.  :)

I stopped at 2 van lots yesterday dressed for work.  (business attire...skirt and blouse)  I walked on the lot, walked straight up to a salesman and told him I was looking for a Chevy Express cargo van with at least a 4.8 with a V8, at least 1998 but ideally newer than 2010 for the 6 speed transmission.  The guys were a bit taken aback at first.  They didn't ask about mileage nor price.  They just started showing me what they had.  When I asked if they had anything with less than 100K miles, one guy said no but then asked for my business card and said he'd call if anything came in.  Ha - they must've thought I was representing a business.  The poor guy had a confused look on his face when he read my business card...as the manager of the apartment community I manage.

The next time I'll try the jeans approach and see how that turn out.  :)

tx2sturgis said:
The first thing the salesman wants to know is how much money do you want to spend, and they will steer you towards whatever they have in that range, or just above it.

To get the upper hand, try this: walk in confidently and just ask: How many vans do have that are between 80,000 and 120,000 miles...or whatever your number is. Show me those. He might have an idea...or he may have to 'hunt'...thats OK...he's working for YOU now.

Don't mention price range. If he asks, just tell him that right now you're open on price, but need to find something affordable and reasonable number of miles.

Now the salesman begins to be on YOUR side...find the best priced vehicle in that mileage range. Instead of the lowest quality ride you will fall for. When you have a target vehicle, bend down before you even open the door and look for recent oily drips and rust on the frame. Light surface discoloration is acceptable, but flaking slivers of rust means you walk. And please don't wear a dress or skirt...wear pants or jeans so you can look under the vehicle.

If he misses the mark, either high or low, you can try again, and say, no thats not what I'm looking for....anything else? Again, avoid talking money at this point..if he asks, tell him politely without irritation: "Sir, (or Ma'am), as I said, I'm looking for something affordable but also lower in mileage". It's NOT an interview, you don't have to answer questions. HE is there to answer questions, YOU are there to ASK them...this is a business deal...the person spending the money ALWAYS asks the questions.

If by the third or fourth van he hasn't shown you something you find acceptable for the price, then thank him for his time, ask for his card, shake his hand,  and begin to walk away...but...be ready for him to say, wait...what WOULD you give for that Chevy XYZ (or whatever) we looked at?

Be confident. Its a game. Put HIM on the chase.

Try it. :D

------------------------------------------------------

For commercial vans, you can always look here to find deals on fleet vans...I did a preliminary filter for you, but you can filter the results anyway you like:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...00&zip=97303&radius=500&sort=geo_distance:asc

Very good advice here!!!  I had already decided that my answer to the price question would be, "How about you let ME worry about price.  You just show me what you've got."  (within the specs that I've asked for)

You are super awesome with the links.  Thank you again.  (and it wasn't lost on me that this link was to Keizer...I mentioned I live in Salem so you must've done your homework.  THANK YOU.)  And the top post on that link is exactly what I'm looking for!!!  104K miles.  I can live with the extra 4k miles.  It's a little higher priced than I wanted to pay but I can talk them down, right?  ;)

And I just realized, I've been to this lot. This van wasn't there a week ago, so they must have just gotten this in.

^

Without a trade-in you should be able to get a vehicle from a dealer for at least 10% less than the asking price. $8000 or so for a '99 is still pretty high priced, even though it sounds like a nice van.

Have you used NADA pricing guides to get ball park figures?

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Vans

slow2day said:
^

Without a trade-in you should be able to get a vehicle from a dealer for at least 10% less than the asking price.  $8000 or so for a '99 is still pretty high priced, even though it sounds like a nice van.

Have you used NADA pricing guides to get ball park figures?

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Vans

Good info.  I was hoping they'd be more willing to drop the price once they knew I had cash in hand.  Perhaps not.  I know some places earn their money on the financing so they actually lose money to cash buyers.  

I've used Kelly Blue Book before.  Hadn't seen this one yet.  Thanks for the link.

Nice and roomy, probably a 350 (good),looks like it's in good shape. A 95 may only have five digits on the odometer, so it may actually be 177,000 miles(?). Do you need all those fixtures inside? He's pricing it high because it's set up for a certain type of business. Overpriced by quite a bit IMO.

tvmlask said:
And I'll admit, I'm going prissy.  

Yay for prissy! I'll be following your build. You might get some ideas from the glamping folks.

Can't wait for this one!!!

Mine is definitely a girl camper but I haven't yet added prissy. YET

Way overpriced for a 22 year old van. Seller is counting on the roof rack and all that shelving to be worth a lot to someone.

77,000 miles, if it's true mileage is almost as problematic as too many miles. It means that it's only averaged 3,500 miles a year. More likely it's sat for years. You can get lucky like I did with one that sat or you can end up replacing every bit of rubber on the vehicle in addition to all the rest of the parts that are stiff and seized from sitting.

Can't tell from the pics for sure but it looks like the bottoms of the doors on at least the passenger side may be riddled with rust - probably from the drain holes not being kept open.

Be sure to poke fingers or other object in the bottom of all the body and doors all the way around. Any signs of paint bubbling need to be poked at as well. If owner or salesman doesn't want you to poke at them...walk away...hell...run away! Unless you do body work or have someone handy that does. It's expensive to have it done in a shop these days.

slow2day said:
Nice and roomy, probably a 350 (good),looks like it's in good shape. A 95 may only have five digits on the odometer, so it may actually be 177,000 miles(?). Do you need all those fixtures inside?  He's pricing it high because it's set up for a certain type of business. Overpriced by quite a bit IMO.

Ugh, I didn't know about the 5 digit odometers.  No, don't need all the fixtures.  I just want an empty shell.  If I buy something with stuff in it, I'll have to take it all out and try to sell it.

Cammalu said:
Yay for prissy!   I'll be following your build.  You might get some ideas from the glamping folks.  

Can't wait for this one!!!

Mine is definitely a girl camper but I haven't yet added prissy.  YET

LOL.  Thanks for the encouragement.  I thought some folks may look down on me for not fully embracing roughing it.  :) (There's a thread for glampers??)

I can't wait either!  I'm getting impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!  I want to get started.  Finding the van is the hard part!!

Almost There said:
Way overpriced for a 22 year old van. Seller is counting on the roof rack and all that shelving to be worth a lot to someone.

77,000 miles, if it's true mileage is almost as problematic as too many miles. It means that it's only averaged 3,500 miles a  year. More likely it's sat for years. You can get lucky like I did with one that sat or you can end up replacing every bit of rubber on the vehicle in addition to all the rest of the parts that are stiff and seized from sitting.

Can't tell from the pics for sure but it looks like the bottoms of the doors on at least the passenger side may be riddled with rust - probably from the drain holes not being kept open.

Be sure to poke fingers or other object in the bottom of all the body and doors all the way around. Any signs of paint bubbling need to be poked at as well. If owner or salesman doesn't want you to poke at them...walk away...hell...run away! Unless you do body work or have someone handy that does. It's expensive to have it done in a shop these days.
Hadn't thought about low miles on an older van meaning it's sat idle for awhile.  (then it begs the question - why?)

I wondered about the rust too, up in the wheel wells behind the tires.  But we live in the Pacific Northwest.  We have 4 seasons...rain, rain, rain, and hot.  9 months out of the year it rains.  And even during the off months, we get a day of rain here and there.  (but everything is GREEN year 'round!)  Anyway, it didn't look like the rust was eating it, just coating it.  Maybe I should be more concerned?

^
That's one of the problems with CL; the pics many times aren't so great and you can't really tell what's going on. You can ask the seller to post pics that are clearer,closer but good luck with that. Many sellers are too busy to mess with it and may have the attitude that if you can't come and look at it, forget it.