MY First Van Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshKidding

Reaction score
Her name is Serenity.

I went into the project with no knowledge of mechanical or construction and sub-par tools. Couple that with a very small budget and I'm pretty happy.

She is a 95 Clubwagon with 89k miles. I got her for 900 bucks with a fully functioning handicapped lift in the back. Aside from needing new brakes she has no identifiable problems. I pulled the lift and sold it for 300 bucks. I only have a few pictures right now but I have been living in her for about 6 months. Due to limited funds I've been adding on when I can.

My only big mistake was not putting a roof van in before the initial build. Now putting it in is going to be a pain in the butt with having to cut through both the roof and the installed ceiling.

You can see from the pictures below that I built a sub floor above the insulation. mostly to even the floor out. Because I wanted more space in the front of the van and there wasn't enough space from wall to wall at ground level, I decided to build a raised bed all the way to the back. Doing it this way let me convert the front part of the underside of the bed to shelving for almost all of my clothing and left me a place for the inverter and batteries once I actually get the money for solar panels. The back half of the underside of the bed is accessible from the rear doors and opens up to a storage area for less used things. The bed itself has holes drilled into the plywood for airflow to the underside of the mattress and the mattress is just a 4 inch memory foam topper from Walmart covered in about 7 blankets. It sleeps 2 people very comfortably but you do have to sleep like you would a camping hammock(diagonal). To the left of the bed is the little shelf that will eventually have a sink with running water and a showerhead attachment to take outside of the van. Underneath is currently being used for bathroom storage. The high shelf running above the bed runs all the way to the front of the van and has organizers for extra clothes, cooking items, and food storage. Underneath that shelf is a desk/table that runs to the front of the van. On the desk is a desktop pc for use with shore power for the time being. The barely used TV hangs from the underside of the top shelf. At the front half of the van the desk has more shelving built in underneath it for more storage. Lastly, there is pre-built storage over the cab of the van.

The pictures were taken before it was completely done sadly and I don't have any of the front part. But the windows have been fitted with blacked out insulation and curtains and the floor is tiled and has area rugs covering it. The back area above the bed has loose hanging tapestries above it for decoration and trapping air.

Attachments

• IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_2231s.jpg
    IMG_2231s.jpg
    773.1 KB
Whoa! You got really lucky selling that lift.

Nice build!

Nice to meet Serenity... Nice looking build so far.