My Dream Is To Live In A Converted Van And Travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dino777

Reaction score
I am 18 years old and a graduating senior this year. I don't want to go to college but instead, I want to convert a van and travel the states and hopefully Canada as well. I'm not sure how to go about this so I've come looking for advice from more experienced people.

I have an etsy shop and I hope to grow that to support my journey but in the meantime, what types of jobs are good for people who live in vans and travel? Advice?

Also please share your favorite places you've travelled. I would really like to visit hippie communes and other similar places to meet like minded and interesting people. Advice?

Welcome dino to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

I would suggest you get some skills together where you could work from your rig as a remote worker.
It sounds like you may have a good start on that already.

Second get a trade skill that you can travel anywhere with it.  Something you don't necessarily need a lot of tools or equipment to haul around.  Example: being a radiologist at a Hospital.  You just need your rig and clothing etc.  When I was a kid there was a sign painter who traveled all around the country carrying some brushes in a tool box and paint & thinner in the trunk of his little Ford Falcon.

There is this thread you may want to look thru:

Education & skills needed to work online from your rig

Aloha dino. A whole bunch of young (meaning younger than me!) fulltimers have and advocate developing multiple streams of income. Some active streams, some passive streams. Seek out their stories and advice and know yourself well enough to decide if you could follow through on the streams you pursue.

Becky, who has a blog called interstellar orchard, was successful at building multiple streams and was really young when she quit her day job and took off with her Casita trailer. Last I looked, she wasn't traveling or blogging, but her blog would be a good read for you. Start at the beginning.

How profitable is your etsy store right now? If its not great, put in the time and effort to promote it through social media before you take off.

Good luck to you!

If I were 18 years old right now and dreaming of traveling full time in a converted van, I would probably make it a long-term plan to last about ten years.  I would get a trade through a vocational school, an apprenticeship, or a union, and I would live at home or in a group house, live on beans and rice, work like a madman, and sock away money for 10 years.  Then, at 28, I would buy my van and convert it, and pay for everything with cash (NO DEBT!), and travel.  With 10 years of solid trades experience, I should be able to parlay that into income when needed at that point.

If I really wanted to start earlier, though, I would AT LEAST work doing something like food delivery for 2-3 years to save up enough for a decent van.  Then I would try to find an annual route where I could work for a few months a few times a year (sugar beet harvest, Amazon warehouse, etc.).  That might work.

If I had no savings, I would not even try to set out with no money.  I also would never try to fund my van lifestyle with debt or credit.  If I couldn't buy the van I wanted outright or use my own labor to build it out, I wouldn't attempt the lifestyle.  Too many things could go wrong for my comfort level (everyone's comfort level is different), and I would be afraid of losing the van and ending up in financial trouble.

I also would never set out in a $3,000 van, although members here report doing just that (and doing it successfully).  I don't have mechanical skills to repair a van problem myself, so the van I bought would have to be very reliable.  That means spending more money, I think for my comfort level (again, everyone's comfort level is different) about $10,000.  Add the cost of the build on top of that.  That's why I'd want to make it a long-term plan to first save money to pay for my van and lifestyle so I can start with no debt.  Debt is the devil.  That's just my two cents, and others are free to disagree.

EDIT:
You also asked for favorite places on the road.  BLM land south and west of San Antonio, and that whole stretch on 110 to Yuma, is some of the best scenery I saw when I was full timing.  As everyone here can tell you, the desert Southwest in winter is wonderful.

Sorry but I have to agree with MG. Going to college and grad school was the smartest thing I ever did. I’m also a huge believer in vocational education if you don’t want college. My electrician charges $65. an hour. Then when you have a skill the world will pay for hit the road and enjoy life. But if you stay here a while and read some posts you’ll see a lot of us got sick or disabled in our 50’s and lost important working years. So I suggest you get a skill and work 3 jobs during your prime earning years then take time off and hit the road.
I love the whole Southwest and parts of the East coast.

Hippie communes no longer exist as they did when I lived on one briefly as a child in the 60’s.. Shared living which is much more structured does but you have to search online.

Not trying to burst your bubble but rather inject some reality in what seems like a fantasy. Not being critical either. Travel is my passion and have lived in other countries but reality never matches fantasy.

I don't disagree with others, and education and knowledge is important.. First an foremost....

What I do not fully agree with is College, College is extremely expensive, and there are many FREE lessons available now a days, I have taught myself numerous valuable skills, that I use constantly.. Am I an expert at all of them, absolutely not.. But I certainly have enough knowledge that if I have a problem with my vehicle mechanically, I can probably fix it, and if I can not I know enough not to get screwed by a greedy mechanic. I have taught myself woodworking, light electrical work, all for free..

What is most important in My opinion is you need to gain some life experience there are no short cuts for this, have a good head on your shoulders, Think things through carefully, But also don't take to much time with it to stop you from just doing it..

If this is something you want to do full time.. there are many different areas you need to have knowledge.. here is a list, probably not complete, But it is a good start.

basic mechanics
basic carpentry
people skills
camping etiquette
road maps
topography maps
basic wilderness survival
First aide
basic towing and recovery skills

I am sure there is much more, But this is a start.. Don't be afraid to ask people questions, But also don't go with the first answers you get..

I am sure many will not totally agree with me, But I dropped out of high school, I have ta ken some trade courses, But a lot of things I learned for free, and just through experiencing life..

Can you do it at 18, yes I think you can, as long as you don't have the mind set that you know it all.. Because you don't, and you never will..

Check youtube for a guy named William Prowse.
Literally came from nothing and taught himself. He is successful by every standard. Find a technical skill. Save the art stuff or writting the great novel for a hobby. Get the technical skill, start your own mobile business, thrive. Don't ever let anyone tell you, most of all yourself, that you 'can't'.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

And when you end up sitting on the cerb, changing a tire in the pouring rain, with thunder and lightening, and after shocks from a 6.o earthquake, laugh your butt off. I did. Life is fun.

I like the ethos and the philosophy of that worldview, HappyLife1977, but I would caution an 18 year old that 80%-90% of small businesses fail.  You can indeed start a mobile business and thrive, but it's way more work than most people are willing to admit.  Even something like mobile windshield repair is viable, but it takes getting your name out there, advertising, excellent people skills, being on time, and generating a lot of business by repairing people's windshields.  It's doable, but it's hard.  I see a lot of this sort of encouragement on this forum, but I don't see a lot of people showing that they are really making it work, to be honest.

I mean, who here is actually living a comfortable nomadic lifestyle funded by selling art?  And can they prove it and not just say it, because frankly that's tough to believe... unless the art income is accompanied by social security, family help, etc., which I hope they would mention.

Who here is actually living a comfortable nomadic lifestyle funded by being a mobile personal assistant, or a blogger, or any other mobile job?  Are they willing to openly talk about their income stream, how much, etc.?  We all know the handful of really famous vandweller or DIY YouTubers and social media stars, including Bob Wells and the person you linked a video to, DIY Solar Power.  He has half a million subscribers.  I think the vast majority of people have zero chance of getting that kind of a social media following, just like the vast majority of people have zero chance of becoming a movie star.

In other words, I'm not convinced that people are actually making this lifestyle work with art or social media or businesses run out of their vans.  I think that lifestyle is a bunch of glitz with no reality behind it, for the most part... simply because I don't know ANYONE thriving that way... but perhaps there are lots out there, and I am just not aware of them.  The vast majority of people living the vanlife who have regular income seem to be getting pensions, social security, disability, public assistance, or conventional wage jobs (camp hosting, harvest, Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc.).  Or they have a specialized skill like programming or stone masonry, etc.

dino777 said:
I am 18 years old and a graduating senior this year. I don't want to go to college but instead, I want to convert a van and travel the states and hopefully Canada as well. I'm not sure how to go about this so I've come looking for advice from more experienced people.

I have an etsy shop and I hope to grow that to support my journey but in the meantime, what types of jobs are good for people who live in vans and travel? Advice?

Also please share your favorite places you've travelled. I would really like to visit hippie communes and other similar places to meet like minded and interesting people. Advice?

All i can say is...i wish i would have followed my dreams...if you don't you will probably regret it when you get to be my age.....at least you can get it out of your system....then move on from there if it doesn't work out...there is a reason for that passion you have....

Also, the only thing you'll find on a hippy commune in 2021 is some kind of modern-day Charles Manson and his "girls." Don't walk, run. The few "communes" that survived the 60's look nothing like they did back then, and some are almost run like corporate businesses. They became that way to survive because communes are baloney (sorry to burst your bubble). Any hippy commune you find with people your age is GUARANTEED a Charles Manson thing. It might not appear that way at first, but be very careful and observant. Don't drink anything you are offered (politely decline and say you have your own water and it's all you drink). Don't walk, run. And never go to Slab City as a single female. Just my two cents.

I am a firm believer in following ones dreams, but am going to throw in here a few mom and grandma style words of advice.   :blush:

Your job as a young adult is to become a functioning, productive member of society, however that works best for you without harming others.

Some at 18 are very much able to see their decisions in the long view and act accordingly, but I dare say many of us are not/were not.

We tend to be short sighted at that age.

If you were my grandson or a nephew, this is what I would tell you, with all the love and encouragement I could muster:

Establish a steady stream of documentable income, sufficient to meet your needs and allow for a modest savings account to cover emergencies.

Be a responsible member of society...paying your bills and taxes, following the laws and rules wherever you are as these databases can and will follow you.

You may reach a time when you want to settle down, have a traditional job, rent an apartment, etc., so it will be important to be able to show you have been the reliable kind of person one wants to hire and rent to.

You may pick up part time or seasonal work to supplement other income.

I suggest keeping a running record on your laptop or other electronic device of any work you do, where that is, what you earn, etc., so when the time comes that you need to produce a work history and perhaps references you will be able to do so.

I have an adult child who recently had to produce for a background check a chronology of everyplace she had worked and lived for the past 25 years.

Be mindful, always, of your future, and how your decisions today may impact tomorrow.

Just a few thoughts, and I truly wish you well.

MG1912

Businesses fail because of a lack of market or a lack of knowledge. It's up to the person to get that knowledge and adapt where necessary. If a person believes they can do it, they will. A lot of failure is due to health issues, either just life or self inflicted (alcohol, drugs, stupid stunts, bad romances). But at 18, there's the world. I hope Dino here can obtain a clear vision, and not let it be influenced by "statistics" or "I couldn't do it so you can't". And thriving, as all van dwellers know, is subjective. It's what makes yourself content, not what other people tell you should make you content.
What on earth killed the pioneer spirit im this country?
Happy Monday.

dino777 said:
I want to convert a van and travel the states and hopefully Canada as well. I'm not sure how to go about this so I've come looking for advice from more experienced people.

Do you already have a van and several $1000's for an emergency repair fund?  If not, you will need to spend a few years working some kind of job to get the van and some reserve cash in the first place. Try to pick a job that will give you experience in a field that will be more easily adaptable to a mobile lifestyle. Have you worked at part-time jobs while you were in school? Maybe try to build on those experiences.

If you're the robust type the construction field offers lots of temporary job opportunities. Every time there is a natural disaster there are 1000's of jobs available for those who can travel to the site and provide their own housing. You make good money and are able to save on living expenses. Do that for several months and earn enough to hit the road for a while until something else comes along.

What do you know about vehicles and what it takes to keep them running? The van life seems great until you encounter major breakdown problems. If you won't be able to buy a newer van, buying an old van and hitting the road can be very chancy and very expensive. It can also leave you stranded in a very dangerous location.