My dream is getting closer.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello  
I been lurking here for about a year now as a guest.  Thought I would actually sign up and introduce myself.  I'm around mid 50's and want to try and retire early so I can travel and see this great country we live in before I get to old and can't.    I haven't done to much travel because of lack of funds and time.  My goal is to retire at 59 but a few things has to fall in place first.  I'm a big dreamer but usually try hard and set realistic goals and most times I achieve these goals.  I will be debt free in about a month then I can really start to save money.

Right now my plans are to buy a Chevy cargo van and make it into a camper van.  I always been mechanically incline so building one shouldn't be to hard. I have a lot of woodworking tools and own a metal lathe and a mill drill.  I pretty much have it planned out how I want to do it.  Just waiting to get  enough money saved up to buy me a decent low milage van.  Then I can start to build it out.  I been buying stuff that I know I want for the van now so I will have it when it is time to build it.  

So in a nutshell that is my plans for now.  It should be doable if nothing else in life comes up which it could at anytime.  A person just never knows.  That is why I think a person should just go for it and make your dreams come true.

Hi LoneWolf Vanner and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are going to do great. Love seeing pics of ""The Process" of the builds, if you are able to, take some pics as you build it out. Are you going to chase the warmer weather? Or will you be able to do the snow season whereever you are? Best of luck to you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I think you're on the right course.  You need to have to have a dream or vision to pursue before anything else.   Then it's just breaking it down into "doable" components pieces.  Sounds like you are quite capable of that too.

All the best to you.

Wabbit said:
Hi LoneWolf Vanner and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are going to do great. Love seeing pics of ""The Process" of the builds, if you are able to, take some pics as you build it out. Are you going to chase the warmer weather? Or will you be able to do the snow season whereever you are? Best of luck to you.

Yes I will have picture of the build when ever that will be.  Even consider filming some of it and maybe put it on youtube.  I will post things about it on my website also and will post my progress here.  If things go right I hope to purchase a van next year.  

I live in Iowa so winter can be cold here.  This winter wasn't to bad but yes planning on chasing warmer weather.  I own my house even though it is an older small home.  So I will have a base camp to come back to.  Want to spend a lot of time out in the western states.  I really want to see all the states so that will be my goal.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, lwv! Congrats on getting close to being debt free! That's huge! Glad you are de-lurking.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.