My Dakota Address stopped receiving mail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swankiewheels said:
I think it would make more sense to relocate mail services to s.w. Where I will probably spend most of.my remaining years.

I'm in the process of switching to BCM Mail & Ship in Quartzsite. They're much cheaper than Americas Mailbox in SD and have a better attitude. I've already moved my residency to AZ.

Swankiewheels, just at a glance I see the below info on the Medicare site, hopefully printing the card from online or an SS office visit will be an option for you. (Re printing the card, one of the FedEx Kinko shops might would do that for you, I've found most of those workers to be extra helpful.)

“If your red, white, and blue Original Medicare card is lost or stolen, or you can no longer use it because it is too faded or damaged, you can replace it by contacting the Social Security Administration. You can also apply for a new card online or go to your local Social Security office.

(Too, I was not aware til just now that new cards/different numbers are coming....)
"Note: Starting in April 2018 through April 2019, Medicare is mailing new Medicare cards to all Medicare beneficiaries. Your new card will have a unique number that is different from your Social Security number. If your new Medicare card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you will be able to print your own replacement card.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/new-medicare-card/nmc-home.html

MrNoodly said:
I'm in the process of switching to BCM Mail & Ship in Quartzsite. They're much cheaper than Americas Mailbox in SD and have a better attitude. I've already moved my residency to AZ.

I looked at their site but find it confusing. To me, their use of the phrase "use USPS to forward sounds like they may mark on a forwarding address instead of bundling accumulated mail in a new package to send to a person's ever changing address?????

Maybe you've checked into that, but even their pricing page is unclear to me.

So you call and ask.

Key criteria is clear open easy communications.

I wonder what all is involved in establishing a mail forwarding service, I mean the actual business that provides this service, not as a customer.

Seems like there is a definite need for this...maybe even more so in the future than before.

There are some USPS regs to follow, need to verify customer ID and keep the records so when they turn out to be criminals at least you're not covering for them.

Other than that not too much red tape.

The UPS Stores used to be Mail Box Etc are easy to check out, make for a good template, expensive as a franchise but they train you have all the procedures documented.

This article has an explanation of what's happening (not specific to MyDakotaAddress):

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_3d0515e8-7d34-11df-b02e-001cc4c002e0.html

From the article:

"Debra Hillmer, director of the state Division of Motor Vehicles, recently sent a memo to county treasurers asking them to demand more information from out-of-state residents before issuing licenses. A similar memo went to 10 mail-forwarding businesses, services popular with people who live outside the state but have vehicles registered here.

The goal, Hillmer said, is to discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside. Ultimately, that information could be used by other states to crack down on their residents who license cars, boats and motor homes here."

I'm a Dakota Post member.  I used to get my plates there, but FL wants you to have their plates if you're staying mostly in FL.  It was easier to switch to FL.  Dakota Post is asking for My Dakota Address people to join them.   I think it will be harder and harder to get by without a physical address.   I kept my DP membership even though I'm not using them for plates and license.  They will forward my mail to me when I hit the road.  They have been a very good service.

An illegal alien without insurance hit my parked car several years ago, and that person was driving a car with current tags, had no ID and no insurance, yet got off without any penalty.  I'm still not sure how that happened.  There must be a way to get tags without ID that I don't know about.   My insurance had to cover the damage.

Guy Smiley said:
a memo to county treasurers asking them to demand more information from out-of-state residents before issuing licenses.
Strange, since the DMV is issuing the licenses.

What role does a county treasurer play in this process?

Someone should tell her the problem is the bureaucracies rarely have an above-board solution for nomads that have no property nor any fixed "usual location", are actually seeking an at least nominal state to "reside" in.

John61CT said:
Strange, since the DMV is issuing the licenses.

What role does a county treasurer play in this process?

My speculation: This is related to issue du jour, politically charged topics like immigration and voting rights.

More importantly for most people using this forum, officials interviewed in the article clearly state genuine “nomads” are still encouraged to register, license and domicile in SD. The standards for proof are becoming more strict though.

I put nomads in quotes because the government officials interviews used the term as did the article.

More speculation on my part: 

It seems like one of two situations are most likely in the case of MyDakotaAddress. 

1. They were found to be running afoul of the new, tighter regulations

2. The owners find them to be too onerous to continue the service

I suggest reading the article if you have not done so already.

lenny flank said:
It does sound to me like a Real ID Act issue.

I've got strong opinions about these things, but I don't think this is the right forum (or a welcome one) for those topics.

The most important thing here is that in the article the woman in charge of the DMV says clearly that they want SD to remain a welcome, viable option for genuine nomads. Ostensibly, the new regulations are to crack down on people that are just using SD to defraud their real domicile state of money from vehicle registration.

Alas, our opinions about it simply don't matter. We have to comply with the Real ID Act anyway, whether we like it or not.

lenny flank said:
Alas, our opinions about it simply don't matter. We have to comply with the Real ID Act anyway, whether we like it or not.

I understand what you're saying, but strictly speaking, this has nothing to do with Real ID.

They want people that are using these services (nomads) to sign an affidavit stating that do not domicile in any other state. The penalty for lying is a felony.

swankiewheels said:
No, they will not, if you are using a private mail forwarding service.  I tried yesterday to submit the Change of Address through the USPS online site.  I got this response:
OK, I followed Terri's instructions to go to local P.O. and submit a Change of Address for MDA to my current location.  Yesterday I got a Change Of Address Confirmation.  We will see what happens, if any does indeed get forwarded from SD to CO.

And I finally got through to SSA and go my address changed.  I still have not been able to log in online to do anything... and can not be on the phone and on the computer at same time as I use phone as internet hot spot.  So now I have to go to SSA office locally to get help with getting online.

Hoot said:
(Too, I was not aware til just now that new cards/different numbers are coming....)
"Note: Starting in April 2018 through April 2019, Medicare is mailing new Medicare cards to all Medicare beneficiaries. Your new card will have a unique number that is different from your Social Security number.
You have to change your address with SSA and then in turn change it with Medicare.  SD cards were being mailed out this past week... and for how long/???   So I don't know if mine was mailed out yet or not.

tx2sturgis said:
I wonder what all is involved in establishing a mail forwarding service, I mean the actual business that provides this service, not as a customer.

Seems like there is a definite need for this...maybe even more so in the future than before.

There is an increasingly greater need for this all the time.  The trick is, if you have a campground, you can used them as your physical address... like Coyote Howls.  If you are just a forwarding service, you can not and people can not use you as a "physical address"... but we where able to do ti for years with MyDakotaAddress.... I began ten years ago.  We can no longer do so.

Guess government wants to track all the dangerous white-haired old ladies....?????