My Dakota Address stopped receiving mail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frater secessus

Reaction score
From this Interstellar Orchard blog post:

On Tuesday the 24th I first heard whispers that My Dakota Address (MDA), which has been my (and many other full-time RVers) mail and domicile solution for years is closing its doors at of the end of this month. Having received no officially notice from MDA and seeing nothing on their website, I assumed this was just a rumor or at most an exaggeration. I fired off an e-mail to MDA and got a response back late in the afternoon – the rumors were true. Not only that but they were no longer accepting new mail as of yesterday the 25th.
I waited to break the news because the situation kept changing. There was talk of a different SD mail company buying out My Dakota Address, but that fell through today (the 26th) so it’s now official. My Dakota Address is closing.

Emphasis in original.

Very unprofessional way to handle it, 3-4 months notice would be basic courtesy.

Thanks for the heads up!

This is going to be a horror show!

All the more reason to use an established commercial club such as Escapees.

Yes, I would like to know about jbmailroom too. Are they still operating????

I used My Dakota Address for nine years. I considered them "an established" business. Always gave great service, but this is unforgiveable. I am regretting that I ever referred some many people to them.

By law, they are suppose to continue forwarding our mail for six months, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I am getting ready to go into surgery. My plate was plenty full enough already.

Just started ESCAPEES address in Florida about 30 days ago. You can also start it in Texas. In a nutshell this is how it worked.

1) pay fees to start it up
2) take your two bank accounts, or one bank account and your vehicle insurance and change the address to the new address. What for an electrical box statement to be sent in 30 days or less depending on cycle.
3) take your passport and old driver license. Drive anywhere in your new state of Texas or Florida just over the border. Pay fees and get new registration and driver license. Done in one hour. They need to see the vehicle.
4) voting registration still works in Florida via escapees as they have a RV park affiliated.

Too spooky easy. If you can wait to drive there in the winter, or somehow get a temporary local address change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote pid='396422' dateline='1532718888']
Too spooky easy.

[/quote]

Only easy if you have the funds and ability to drive to one of those two states, TX and FL, I do not.

Also, I am having surgery soon and won't be driving for awhile.

I need a better solution.  (and a millionaire in my hip pocket)

swankiewheels said:
[quote pid='396422' dateline='1532718888']
Too spooky easy.

Only easy if you have the funds and ability to drive to one of those two states, TX and FL, I do not.

Also, I am having surgery soon and won't be driving for awhile.

I need a better solution.  (and a millionaire in my hip pocket)
[/quote]

US MAIL can forward your mail to ESCAPEES. You only need to visit to fix your driver license and registration. Will you be out of commission for six months ?

Everything else can be done online.

swankiewheels said:

Escapees has mail forwarding and domicilliary in SD.  Don't know where you are, but that could be closer.

Unless

1. you used MDA as a residence address; and
  2. those MDA addresses are now flagged for some reason

you might be ok to leave your residence address as-is and just pick add the escapees mail service.  File a change of address with the USPS online ($1) and MDA mail would be forwarded to Escapees for 6/12 months total.  That would give you time to change your mailing address with your contacts.

I think you can get this done without driving anywhere, assuming you are already domiciled in SD. You would do the postal form with notary and mail it to Escapees. Someone chime in if I am missing something.

Good luck with your surgery

I have No money to sing up for escapees.

You can not file a USPS forwarding order for a private mail service.

I am in CO, will be able to drive by Oct, but must head back to AZ for a job this winter. Limited driving and activities once I get there... With more rehab and therapy.

I think it would make more sense to relocate mail services to s.w. Where I will probably spend most of.my remaining years.

Considered Pahrump but the service I was considering is probably also closing.

Keep the ideas coming. I would like to change this just ONCE.

If this is an essential service for you then you have no choice but to sign up for a new one and contact everyone with a COA notification.

Seems obvious to me the bigger services with a full staff that have been stable for many years will have a better chance of continuing that way.

Yes they may be more expensive.

Eat cheaper food for a while and save your pennies if necessary.

Or buy based on price and cross your fingers may turn out fine?

With surgery coming up, I have had far too many unusual expenses and the belt can't get any tighter. The only way I can afford to set up a new service is if people help me. I am flatter than flat broke and will be the rest of the year. Having major surgery is not the time to eat cheap, ignore needed dental work, or allow ones home/camper go to ruin with major water leak and peaking paint. I have set the surgery as my priority so my health does not go downhill. All funds and energies have gone into this, leaving NOTHING for such unplanned expenses like this.

But you are right, getting mail is essential, especially when it is things like Medicare card. I have to find a way. We should all have an emergency fund, but all too often, those of us living on less than $1,000 a month, just can't manage to do that.l

We all have priorities in life... some are more important that others.

The USPS will forward your mail to you... for a fee.

I got the same shock and have a hard time with the "no notice" as Terri has always been so helpful and professional. Have no idea what could have happened.

BUT, as pointed out but maybe not clearly enough -- what you need for your "residence address" is very different from a mail forwarding service. Yes, every bank and insurance company and such now have automated software to tell them the old Dakota address is a private mailbox/forwarding service. The will not accept such private mailboxes as your residence address no matter which state you "live in."

South Dakota has special rules set up so you can become a resident mostly by proxy other than to get your driver's license in person the first time, but other institutions like insurance will no longer accept that. Most everything I do is online or auto deposit, etc. but I had to establish a real address to get my bank accounts and insurance, etc. There is an old thread describing the things I went through to get my residence listed at the Coyote Howls East campground in Why, AZ. Lots of small hassles but now I am an AZ resident with a driver's license and registration in that state. I had continued to use MyDakotaAddress as my mailing address (as I have for about 5 years with no complaints).

So now I have to go to the local Post Office and get the form needed to assign a new "receiving agent" for my physical mail. I plan to use Escapees in Texas as that is the closest to AZ (where I will be for a few winter months at Coyote Howls). I won't be switching my residence address as there is no need to... just the mailing service which will take a week or so to get in place (they have to have the signed physical Post Office form in their hands to assign me a mailbox and begin receiving mail).

So that is what I've figured out for myself.. no recommendation really as I have only done some online research to make my decision. Only thing once I get my box number will be to change my mailing address online at each bank, insurer, and other contacts.

Riverman said:
We all have priorities in life... some are more important that others.

The USPS will forward your mail to you... for a fee.

No, they will not, if you are using a private mail forwarding service.  I tried yesterday to submit the Change of Address through the USPS online site.  I got this response:

Mail addressed to an addressee at commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA) is not forwarded through the USPS. The CMRA customer may make special arrangements for the CMRA operator to re-mail the mail with payment of new postage. A CMRA must accept and re-mail mail to former customers for at least 6 months after termination of the agency relationship. After the 6-month period, the CMRA may refuse mail addressed to a former customer. The Application for Delivery of Mail through Agent (PS Form 1583) requires an addressee and agent to comply with all applicable postal rules and regulations relative to delivery of mail through an agent. For more information on mail forwarding regulations, contact your local Postmaster.