My bedding issue is finally solved

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
After building three beds, and trying out different Thermarest combinations, Tempupedic, looking at different mattresses, then covers, I think my bed issues are finally solved.

Building the bed across the rear doors, naturally I'm going to have off sized dimensions. So, I finally settled on just getting a custom foam mattress. This place http://www.foambymail.com/ is a life saver. I got a nice medium-firm, five inch high quality piece of foam. I ordered a cover too that said "smaller than twin" which I figured would be sized for a twin mattress so I would have some overhang.

No, the cover fits the mattress like a glove, they even put it on before shipping. I just took it out of the wrapping, and it feels heavenly. In another couple of days it will be fully ready for sleep.

Now, I have a set of bamboo sheets coming in. I decided to stop with the backpacker mentality when it comes to bedding and just go all out. It will be so nice to take a nap in the van before work.

http://www.foambymail.com/ :)

Thanks for sharing this. I have been trying to figure out how to get a good mattress. I too am building in front of the door.My significant other is 6'3 and I am 5'3 so I need the length of a California king but I don't want to use all of my floor space just for the bed.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Congrats, finding a comfy bed is a must, glad you got something that really works for you.

Oh, and I made a cute little headboard too. I'm trying to think of some inspirational quote to carve into it. I have a Rumpl blanket too, the blanket made for the outdoors.

I get away with a 3" thick foam but it's upholstery (sofa) grade rather than bed foam. It is denser so it is much firmer but it also lasts longer. I topped it with a cheaper mattress pad from W/M but would like to upgrade to a thicker one.

I've never thought of van dwelling like I would a camping trip...it's my home on wheels. My camping gear for my hammock is saved for actual camping trips. This means real sheets and pillows and blankets. They're easier to wash than a sleeping bag and I enjoy all the comforts of home.

OTOH, I do a lot of cooking outdoors so that I'm not heating up the inside of the van. I cook indoors in it when I'm parked somewhere like W/M or a rest area or if the weather isn't nice but that's it.

I know a lot of people like real sheets and blankets but then I thought, you're in the outdoors so much, won't the bed be constantly dirty?
At least a Thermarest can be wiped down with some soap and water.

But, sleeping is huge to our health. We need to sleep well, even if we live in a van. So, sheets and blankets can be washed. So can the cover. During the day, I'll just have to be careful and be not hoisting dirty things on my nice bed. During the windy days in the desert I guess I can cover it with a cut garbage bag to help keep grime out.

I like a dense gym mat, covered in HD vinyl, custom cut to size. Good quality lasts for decades.

Almost There said:
I've never thought of van dwelling like I would a camping trip...it's my home on wheels. My camping gear for my hammock is saved for actual camping trips. This means real sheets and pillows and blankets. They're easier to wash than a sleeping bag and I enjoy all the comforts of home.
I agree with Almost There, my van will be my home and as such I want comfort. My current sheets are really old, but they were a better quality and have held up well. I guess we each have to pick what the important parts of our van life are. Still trying to decide!

waldenbound said:
After building three beds, and trying out different Thermarest combinations, Tempupedic,  looking at different mattresses, then covers, I think my bed issues are finally solved.
<-------->
Now, I have a set of bamboo sheets coming in. I decided to stop with the backpacker mentality when it comes to bedding and just go all out. It will be so nice to take a nap in the van before work.

http://www.foambymail.com/  :)
It's nice to have your bedding issues solved, and thanks for the link. Bamboo sheets? I want to hear more about those. :)

I just made the first trip this weekend using the mattress on a platform from a sleeper sofa in my den. THE WORST experience ever. By the third night my herniated disk and sciatica was acting up and I could hardly walk. Can't wait to get something good...

Another fan of foam factory and the comforts of home no matter my location. Mine is a 4" Hd with a topper and cover, recently progression of physical challenges have prompted the addition of a 3" standard foam base.
Sheets and quilts and comforters have long replaced sleeping bags, though there is one stashed for emergency or loan.

I often read or watch movies in bed, so carry several pillows to provide a backrest.
A smart woman taught me that pillow cases and sheets in my favorite colors and textures add to comfort and pleasure

waldenbound said:
 . . . I got a nice medium-firm, five inch high quality piece of foam . . .

A question Waldenbound, if you please:   what kind of mattress do you like?   sink in soft?  follow body contours but not sink in?  hard for my bad back?  My problem is that I cannot translate my mattress desire into their descriptions.

I agree that getting you bed right is important.  We spend a very important 8 hours or more a day in bed; get it as good as you can.  One reason I don't backpack much any more is I am not willing to make the 'not as comfortable' vs. 'very light' tradeoff as I get older.

Ballenxj said:
Bamboo sheets? I want to hear more about those. :)

Bamboo sheets are supposed to keep you cooler in summer, and they wick away moister. I had two little bamboo washcloths, and no matter how many times they've been washed, they stay soft. Bamboo sheets are supposed to do the same.
I don't have any more camping trips scheduled, but I will take the van out to a local park for some extended nap time :)
I still have to rub some linseed oil on the frame, let it dry, then I can move the mattress in.

What is called bamboo fabric is rayon made from bamboo cellulose. Soft and cool.

Spaceman Spiff said:
A question Waldenbound, if you please:   what kind of mattress do you like?   sink in soft?  follow body contours but not sink in?  hard for my bad back?  My problem is that I cannot translate my mattress desire into their descriptions.

For me, Tempurpedic is king. Just conforms to the body. But if I cut down my Tempurpedic mattress topper, it wouldn't fit. I needed something custom to fit an off-sized bed frame. Foam Factory has lots of foam types, I got HD36-HQ, medium and with a 15 year or so life span. Both the foam and cover cost about $175, not bad.

So now, I have to eventually get rid of my futon, Tempurpedic topper, Thermarest Ridgerest and two sleeping pads. A lot of old bedding to get rid of.

waldenbound said:
After building three beds, and trying out different Thermarest combinations, Tempupedic,  looking at different mattresses, then covers, I think my bed issues are finally solved.

Building the bed across the rear doors, naturally I'm going to have off sized dimensions. So, I finally settled on just getting a custom foam mattress. This place http://www.foambymail.com/ is a life saver. I got a nice medium-firm, five inch high quality piece of foam. I ordered a cover too that said "smaller than twin" which I figured would be sized for a twin mattress so I would have some overhang.

No, the cover fits the mattress like a glove, they even put it on before shipping. I just took it out of the wrapping, and it feels heavenly. In another couple of days it will be fully ready for sleep.

http://www.foambymail.com/  :)

Building the bed across the rear doors, naturally I'm going to have off sized dimensions.

I've been studying vans trying to decide what I want. What is the width inside the van by the doors? Are all models pretty much the same width? Don't laugh, I know nothing about vehicles!!