My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They never made one at the factory, my education in medium duty trucks has been a crash course since I bought mine while on leave from Iraq. My truck frame, and engine were made by International, the body was made by Grumman Olson, the front beam is a Dana, the rear end is a Rockwell, and the tranny is an Allison. I ended up purchasing the stack of phone book sized shop manuals which has keep all repairs and Maintenance in order. Several companies up fitted these chassis with 4wd setups for forestry and municipal services. The parts are hard to come by and expensive. After much searching, the army deuce and a half parts are bolt on and easily found for reasonable prices. Most being new old stock or factory rebuilt. The box should be moved over to the International in the next month or so.

Spent the day cleaning out all the odds and ends that take up all my cabinet space, after getting down to the basics of life, there is a lot more room than I thought there would be in the ambulance box!

Sounds awesome! Don't forget to show us progress pix! ;)

As I looked at the pics i thought geez its got space ship wiring, then I noticed you post about working in the aviation industry. :) That is very nice work. Good job.

Picture update, almost all cleaned up! Once I mount the air compressor under the truck the cooler will sit by the back door rather than the bed.

3ubysare.jpg

As for the front, the small diesel engine hiding under the sweatshirt will go in my Bronco II. For the most part I am pretty happy with the front, just need to stain and seal the woodwork.

a7aretyz.jpg

The kayak will be stored on top for the most part, but it really doesn't get in the way all that much. The bike out the other hand needs a new storage place.

very cool keep those pics coming. you might have posted this before sorry for asking if you did. what are the interior dimensions of your box? highdesertranger

Wow, Baloo! That is one beautiful rig!

You mentioned needing a place to store your bike. If you mount an RV type ladder for access to your roof, there is a bike rack I've seen that mounts to the ladder. Just an idea. Another possibility is a receiver hitch bike rack. You've probably already considered this one, though. Regardless, I'm sure you'll come up with an awesome solution. Thanks for sharing your build with us!

Lugh

Cool ride. I am thinking about this. What is the gas mileage and out repair parts hard to get? I am a newbe.
Be safe

Welcome speed :)

Parts aren't usually a problem as long as its built on an American frame, like Chevy, Dodge, or Ford.
Fuel can be an issue with something that heavy. You can most likely count on 10 MPG on a good day of flatland driving, especially if its a gasser.
Ambos are cool, but I need better fuel economy and a maxi van gives me that.

How about popping over the the Newcomers thread and tell us about yourself.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Newcomer-s-Corner

`

A huge part of my truck selection was parts cost and availability, as well as road side repair with normal tools. I did buy a few special tools and the shop manuals. Heck I even bought tire bars to change the tires myself. 10 mpg is normal for a 17k pounder. Commercial trucks are easy to work on, everything is just bigger! Right now I am working out the details for a new bed/seat in the box.

Slow, but some progress, got the hood straps replaced (good bye ratchet strap) and the headlight bezels installed, ready for some sanding and paint. I will more than likely use white since it will just look like a service truck when it is done.
qybu4yju.jpg

Wow, that's taking it to another level for sure, can't wait to see the final results Baloo (nothing like the simple bear necessities eh, lol). Nice wiring job, that's where I fall pretty flat xp-wise, I'd sure like to see a schematic of that or maybe a link if you don't have the time (but no hurry, I'm a long way from getting to that point yet) ;?D

Thanks mate, on military training, ready to get back to my project! I can get you a schematic if you like, right now I am working out the fuel system schematic for running waste veggie oil in one of the two fuel tanks