My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uploadfromtaptalk1408416415021.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408416431168.jpg

New brakes today, figured it was easier now, than when the box is installed...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408416415021.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408416415021.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 95
  • uploadfromtaptalk1408416431168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408416431168.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 102
good deal. nice that it has rear disc. where is the e brake on the drive shaft or inside the brake rotor? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nice that it has rear disc.
You DURN SKIPPY it is. I was traveling up the freeway in my old 31 ft motorhome one day when a couple cars tried to pull the ole "Swoop & Squat" trick on me. I'm sure they were after insurance money. One guy kept me blocked while the other jumped in front and slammed on the brakes. I was trapped! :mad:
I slammed on my brakes too and missed hitting the car in front by what seemed like two inches. The Sportscoach I was driving had four wheel discs.
I further didn't realize how much giddy up and go that 454 in the coach had as I tried to catch them just to say not nice things to them. The guy I ended up next to looked pretty scared when I boxed him in. In the end he got away, but my motorhome was a mess now that most of the stuff that was at the back ended up in the front. :(
I guess my message is "FOUR WHEEL DISCS ROCK!" :D

My parking brake is on the end of the transmission. Electric/hydraulic assisted discs all the way around are the only way to go! Yes, the cost is a little higher than a normal truck, but they are extreme duty compared to light trucks. I even took the tune to paint the calipers Ferrari red for the heck of it...

Ballenxj said:
You DURN SKIPPY it is. I was traveling up the freeway in my old 31 ft motorhome one day when a couple cars tried to pull the ole "Swoop & Squat" trick on me. I'm sure they were after insurance money. One guy kept me blocked while the other jumped in front and slammed on the brakes. I was trapped! :mad:
I slammed on my brakes too and missed hitting the car in front by what seemed like two inches. The Sportscoach I was driving had four wheel discs.
I further didn't realize how much giddy up and go that 454 in the coach had as I tried to catch them just to say not nice things to them. The guy I ended up next to looked pretty scared when I boxed him in. In the end he got away, but my motorhome was a mess now that most of the stuff that was at the back ended up in the front. :(
I guess my message is "FOUR WHEEL DISCS ROCK!" :D

Hehehe..... good story. Reminds me of when I was on the road riding my KLR650 motorcycle, and two idiots in a small car pass me on the right in MY lane! Missed hitting me by an inch! I immediately gave pursuit trying to get their tag number, so I could report them for 'reckless endangerment' or such. They rabbited when they saw what I was doing. I followed them, but they got away by blasting through traffic endangering others. :dodgy:

LeeRevell said:
I was on the road riding my motorcycle, and two idiots in a small car pass me on the right in MY lane! Missed hitting me by an inch!

you're riding your M/C wrong then.

you need to OWN your lane, and make sure other drivers see and know this as well. You'll be a grease stain on the road otherwise.

I'd have stuck a boot into his door if anyone tried this crap with me. :mad:

This is a good topic, but you might want to move this to it's own thread so as not to Hijack Baloos Ambo thread. I can do it for you if you want.
Bob

Are the heavy truck parking brakes cable or hydraulic operated? I have had to use the 'parking brake' as an emergency brake more than once. Don't know if a tranny brake can do this.

the drum brakes on the back of the trans work great. by braking the drive shaft it's like braking both rear wheels and drum a brake makes an excellent e-brake, better than disc. highdesertranger

No worries on the motorcycle topic, I rode a klr650 for years! The drum is cable operated with a long handle for leverage. I prefer the driveline brake over mechanical disc or drum wheel brakes. I also installed a brake lock for the hydraulic system as well, incase the alarm is triggered, it locks all four wheels! The rain will stop my test drive today, so on to finding a good air ride seat. The folding camping chair is sort of dangerous.
834fd51e54963fd055bcec88af6704c3.jpg

Current seat, and battery location aside, I think it's going to be a real nice rig when you are finished. But are we really ever finished? :p

do you have a semi truck junkyard anywhere near you??

there are lots of great used high-back air-ride seats (with armrests) left in trucks. I've used a bunch of 'em in my stepvans and hot-rod builds.

The batteries are located in the ambulance box, that one is just temporary. I do have a big rig salvage yard near by. I just need to find time to go there and see what they have.

Ballenxj said:
Current seat, and battery location aside, I think it's going to be a real nice rig when you are finished. But are we really ever finished? :p

any custom vehicle that you work on is never TRUELY done . we'll all probably will be buried before any of our "project" vechicles get done.

You know that is the most accurate statement ever made, but I will keep at it till I perish...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414806736.133549.jpg

The FedEx guy delivered a new part for my ambo today!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414806736.133549.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414806736.133549.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 53
Baloo said:
The FedEx guy delivered a new part for my ambo today!
SWEET! Is there one, or two panels in there? Mine came two per box.